Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
nick9000
nick9000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Safe to delete file from my Kindle?

I download news on to my Kindle using Calibre. As a result I've a directory with lots of old news files. Deleting them using the Kindle is slow - am I safe to delete the old .mobi and .mbp files from my PC or will it mess up something?

Thanks
nick9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
No problem doing that - you can access the folders on your kindle via your pc, and copy or delete to your heart's content!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick9000 View Post
...am I safe to delete the old .mobi and .mbp files from my PC...
Safe? yes, its perfectly safe.

It won't, though, delete everything. There is a 3rd associated file buried in the /system folder that is used by the Kindle's search function. It is built when the Kindle indexes a newly added book. If you delete a book manually, I don't know if the Kindle will recognize that there is now an orphaned index file that can be deleted.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
nick9000
nick9000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the replies - files deleted!
nick9000 is offline   Reply With Quote