Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
mrandrzejak
mrandrzejak began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
a SPACE is replaced with ! on conversion

Hello! I purchased a series of books from an author who had a deal through an website I subscribe to. For the price of one book I received 4 from the same author. The books arrived in PDF format, which normally I dont mind, but in this instance I wish they were EPUB (or Kindle) so I can read these books on the go on my phone or tablet and increase the font size.

The problem is this. After conversion when trying to view the EPUB every place there should be a space, there is instead an exclamation point. Here is an example...

"I love to read books at night time." is converted to...
"I!love!to!read!books!at!night!time."

The other 3 books from this author converted just fine for me, it is only the newest book that is giving problems.

Im running the newest Calibre on Ubuntu 10.04 at work and Ubuntu 12.04 at home with the same conversion error. Ive also converted the book with various online conversion tools which also give me the same ! error.

I have contacted the author via email and his facebook in hopes he could send me the EPUB directly, but have received no reply.

Thanks for any tips!
Attached Files
File Type: txt PDF-EPUB-output.txt (3.9 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by mrandrzejak; 07-30-2013 at 04:53 PM.
mrandrzejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you try Mobipocket Creator

Or edit the EPUB in Sigil which is an WYSIWYG EPUB editor - see Download sticky here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203

replace all '! ' (bang space) with '# ' (crunch space) - mask real exclamation points
replace all '!' (bang) with ' ' (space) - kill off those pesky bangs
replace all '# ' (crunch space) with '! ' (bang space) - unmask real exclamation points

save file

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2013 at 08:56 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
mrandrzejak
mrandrzejak began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
BetterRed, I followed your instructions exactly and my file came out PERFECT! Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you try Mobipocket Creator

Or edit the EPUB in Sigil which is an WYSIWYG EPUB editor - see Download sticky here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203

replace all '! ' (bang space) with '# ' (crunch space) - mask real exclamation points
replace all '!' (bang) with ' ' (space) - kill off those pesky bangs
replace all '# ' (crunch space) with '! ' (bang space) - unmask real exclamation points

save file

BR
mrandrzejak is offline   Reply With Quote