Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Can ePubs be merged?

Is there any software that allows easy merging of multiple ePubs into a single ePub? (Bookmarking by original title would be nice, but isn't necessary.)

I'd like to take multiple short stories from Feedbooks & combine them into a single file so I don't have dozens of "books" cluttering my Reader interface. Right now, I'm downloading in PDF because I can combine those easily; I'd prefer to read ePub, but don't know if it's possible to combine them without unzipping & weird code-tweaking.

If there's a relatively simple manual way to build a combined ePub, that'd be okay too.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
No simple way, since every ePub has both a table of contents file (toc.ncx) - and an index file (content.opf)... the first would take a bit of time... but the latter of which has a playlist, which would be incredibly irritating to re-order. Rename an epub as a zip and take a look... You'll agree it's probably not worth the effort...

Edit: I just realized the number of your posts. You're unlikely to be a n00b... but even in creating my own ePub's I was frustrated whenever I had to go into either of these files. I'm sure a program could be created to merge ePubs but again, it's probably not worth the effort... And yeah, I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks these authors need to compile their short-stories into actual books.

Last edited by darkpoet; 03-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet View Post
No simple way, since every ePub has both a table of contents file (toc.ncx) - and an index file (content.opf)... the first would take a bit of time... but the latter of which has a playlist, which would be incredibly irritating to re-order. Rename an epub as a zip and take a look... You'll agree it's probably not worth the effort...
Not worth it for me; I was hoping someone had written a script that would neatly combine multiple toc.ncx & content.opf files into a single one. Except the folders would have to be renamed, or the html files, or both... gah. I don't speak that much code. Script. Whatever.

Damn. Will have to stick with PDFs, which are much easier for me to combine. Annoying, 'cos Feedbooks ePubs get cover pictures, and the PDFs don't. So I download the PDF, open the ePub & save out the cover pic, then replace the first page of the PDF with the cover image.

Quote:
Edit: I just realized the number of your posts. You're unlikely to be a n00b... but even in creating my own ePub's I was frustrated whenever I had to go into either of these files. I'm sure a program could be created to merge ePubs but again, it's probably not worth the effort... And yeah, I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks these authors need to compile their short-stories into actual books.
Yeah, not n00b; experienced with doc conversion but still pretty shaky when it comes to ePub. Was hoping I'd missed some nice simple fix someone had put together.

It's not always single authors; I sometimes collect multiple stories on a theme and would rather combine them into a single file (Right now, it's the DC2 series of fan-made comic-book stories.) Would like to be able to create collections for my kids--"30 short stories about cats and dragons"--but it looks like doing so for ePub is a while off yet.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
This is probably more work than you meant to do, but you can use Calibre to bulk-convert to RTF. Merge the RTF manually but trivially in Word, add trivial table of contents in Word, save and convert the merged RTF back to Calibre.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
aarcane
aarcane began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/stanza
using some simple find/replace, and copy/paste, it'd be mostly trivial to merge some well-designed e-pubs. I'm well-designing some e-pubs in a series now with exactly that in mind.
aarcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
There's a similiar request/suggestion here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74581
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
This is probably more work than you meant to do, but you can use Calibre to bulk-convert to RTF. Merge the RTF manually but trivially in Word, add trivial table of contents in Word, save and convert the merged RTF back to Calibre.
At that level of work, it's easier for me to merge the PDFs.

While I'm willing to manually merge 20 source documents in Word, I only do so when I've got no other way of getting the content. In this case, since I'm working from Feedbooks, I can have it output in Sony-sized PDFs with my choice of font & point sizes. I have to manually place the covers in, but that's still faster than the copy-paste-format hassles in Word.

But it's good to know that's possible, because I get epubs from a lot of different sites; I may want to deconstruct & reformat them.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It would be worth keeping an eye on ePubHub. It's still in a very early stage of development, but looks like it should eventually be useful for your purpose.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
It would be worth keeping an eye on ePubHub. It's still in a very early stage of development, but looks like it should eventually be useful for your purpose.
This would be a real good direction for ePUBHub to take. Solving this problem really provides a good service and would show it could solve other smaller problems.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Personally I'd like to see Valloric add this functionality to Sigil eventually.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
Personally I'd like to see Valloric add this functionality to Sigil eventually.
Valloric plans to do exactly that one day, via a right-click menu option in the Book Browser.

Third person FTW.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote