Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
From what I'm reading all over, most European stores will sell epub. Might have something to do with Amazon trying to get rid of Mobipocket (that's my thought at least!)
It has to do with Mobipocket's restriction on DRM. They insist they have to be the only DRM on the device. So given a choice of Adobe's DRM for PDF & ePub or Mobipocket's DRM, most companies have chosen to go the proper path and go Adobe. And because of this, ePub is the format of choice outside of the USA.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
As I understand it, they are allowed to sell in the US, and not abroad. Strangely, the "location" of the transaction is where you, as a purchaser, are at that moment, so if you are not in the US (no matter your bank, credit card, nationality or phone number) they cannot sell to you.
Has this ever been challenged in court? Because I am a legal purchaser not trying to buck the system. I mean I could remote into my home computer, make the purchase, send the book(s) to my outside the USA and have them there. Why make me go through all that hassle just to make a legal purchase? If I ever found this to be an issue, I would ask my cousin (a judge) if that was legal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #33
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has this ever been challenged in court? Because I am a legal purchaser not trying to buck the system. I mean I could remote into my home computer, make the purchase, send the book(s) to my outside the USA and have them there. Why make me go through all that hassle just to make a legal purchase? If I ever found this to be an issue, I would ask my cousin (a judge) if that was legal.
I have no idea about court challenges. But you keep saying you are a legal purchaser, and it seems that, if you are not in the US, you are not. Do you think that some foreigner that travels to the US and tries to buy ebooks there is not a legal purchaser?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #34
Flashingblade
Enthusiast
Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
There are ways round these things, though its annoying - the easiest I have found is to buy vouchers, and then pay with those.
So it's still OK to buy vouchers at BoB with a UK credit card & use them on their US site, you just can't buy the books direct?
Flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #35
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
So far so good - after all, you could be buying a voucher for a friend in the USA for their birthday or something, and it would be pretty stupid to restrict you doing that.

Don't know if BOB will implement something like the IP restrictions discussed earlier, but I would agree with JSWolf - what if you are a legit US citizen that, in downtime from your business meetings in London, decided to use his laptop to log on in his hotel room and buy a book to load up to his ereader device for the flight home?

Publishing limits aside, ebooks should be moving towards less hassle, not more, if they want to become any more viable.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #36
Flashingblade
Enthusiast
Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Flashingblade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Thanks for the clarification

Would have been a pain not to be able to get the next books on from those I have already bought!
Flashingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Remember that this is lying. Some people might have a problem with this.
Putting US, instead of UK in the address area could be classed as fraud.

Whilst the customer may not be challenged by the Publisher who wishes to restrict sales geographically, it could impinge upon the Retailer to the detriment of all of us.

I don't really understand how BoB US and BoB UK could morally have significantly different pricing for the same book, excepting local tax issues - unless they can legitimately argue that the UK version has UK English spelling and they have to pay more for the editing (OH sorry, a pink pig just flew past my window, followed by yet more pink pigs )....Welcome to rip off not USA ......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #38
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Geoff

My credit card is registered in the UK, what I am doing is when you pay through Paypal, they ask you for a shipping address. I already had the NJ shipping address on there from a while back when I got a physical something totally not book related that I could only find in the USA. I purchased it and had it shipped to NJ, and when I went out to see my friends I picked it up.

Despite the fact there is no physical shipment of ebooks, paying by Paypal on BOB still requires a 'ship to' address.

Otherwise, the voucher purchasing works fine for now and is what I usually use. I have only done the US shipping address thing once as I wanted to see what happens now BOB have a UK presence.

I guess if BOB want to get funny about it, they can start specifying that your 'ship to' address is the same as your credit card, the same as with high value purchases in most places. But that would be a bit over the top for what in my case are £5 transactions at a time (but if I bought them in the UK they would be £7-£8 transactions).

Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #39
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i've only used BOB for a few purchases, having favoured fictionwise. to use their voucher system (micropay) would mean losing all their discount offers that they have weekly....

wonder what would happen to the prices if the differential was pointed out to them ?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #40
suecsi
Rock Chick

I'd probably use Fictionwise but a good chunk of their books - certainly when I look for ones I want, anyway, are in Mobipocket or EReader format, and I am on a Sony PRS505, so buy Adobe DE or Epub.

If they had more of those formats I might even join the club.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #41
GeoffC

Quote:
I'd probably use Fictionwise but a good chunk of their books - certainly when I look for ones I want, anyway, are in Mobipocket or EReader format, and I am on a Sony PRS505, so buy Adobe DE or Epub.

If they had more of those formats I might even join the club.
someday soon :coughs: I might be able to read ePub stories on my Cybook ....
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Don't know if BOB will implement something like the IP restrictions discussed earlier, but I would agree with JSWolf - what if you are a legit US citizen that, in downtime from your business meetings in London, decided to use his laptop to log on in his hotel room and buy a book to load up to his ereader device for the flight home?
"So what if you are?" would be my reaction to your question.

The company's book distribution contract prohibits them from selling a book to a particular geographical location, not to a particular "nationality" of person. If the contract says "you can't sell to the UK" and the customer is in the UK at that time, then BoB is not allowed to sell them that book for as long as they are in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #43
GeoffC

Quote:
So far so good - after all, you could be buying a voucher for a friend in the USA for their birthday or something, and it would be pretty stupid to restrict you doing that.

Publishing limits aside, ebooks should be moving towards less hassle, not more, if they want to become any more viable.

arguably he should have loaded his ereader before leaving .... that's one of its major USPs?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #44
suecsi
Rock Chick

Harry, you are quite right however I think that is one of the issues that needs to be remedied longer term for ebooks to be viable (and is discussed in many other threads here). It is possible to buy a physical book from the USA and have it shipped to the UK, since the place of sale is the US (for physical items) but if you buy a download, the place of sale is where you download it to. This is putting off adoption of ebook readers outside the USA, where the popularity of the Kindle has helped to grow the market.

I'm not a lawyer and I am sure there were good reasons to regard ebooks differently from 'real' books, as they are downloads, the same as software etc I guess, but I just don't think it is aiding adoption.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #45
GeoffC

BoBUK ..... And not one Sir Terry Pratchett book ...