Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
No, you can read well in Spanish.

In my list of e-readers, it's the 4th.

1.- Kindle.
2.- Boox.
3.- iPad.
4.- Nook.

Nook is a good device but with a not much ergonomic software.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by virplay View Post
thx
but it doesnt affect to reading right?

by the way ...is nook a good ereader?

not sure if buy nook or sony prs 900
I bought a PRS900 and returned it after a week. Crappy screen.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #18
virplay
Enthusiast
virplay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
No, you can read well in Spanish.

In my list of e-readers, it's the 4th.

1.- Kindle.
2.- Boox.
3.- iPad.
4.- Nook.

Nook is a good device but with a not much ergonomic software.
Not ergonomic software? I am getting mad but ereader choose
Boox is expensive.
I used to have kindle2 and found it not ergonomic either
K2 cant read epubs, read badly pdfs, and the buttons didnt like it much
virplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #19
virplay
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I bought a PRS900 and returned it after a week. Crappy screen.
Really? u cant see anything reading ? is that? I am afraid buying this device. I read about the 900 some loves it other hate it

Nook seems a nice one, but not sure either
Old 06-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #20
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not ergonomic software? I am getting mad but ereader choose
Boox is expensive.
I used to have kindle2 and found it not ergonomic either
K2 cant read epubs, read badly pdfs, and the buttons didnt like it much
Yes. I know what I'm talking because I've extensively used practically all e-book readers of market except Sony ones. "Extensively used" means reading with them at least 3 months.

Formats are not problem since Calibre is here and you can convert from one to other in a nutshell with a very good result.

Kindle books are cheaper than B&N ones, and Amazon has a lot more.

To do a thing with Nook you need to navigate for a lot of folders and do a lot of clicks until you get the result. In Kindle you only need 3 clicks as more.

Search a workd in a nook needs to navigate through a lot of menus, move to the word with the crappy simulated cursors and then press search. In Kindle you only need to move the joystick. Cursors in Nook only starts from top to bottom, and if you maintain pressed the key, it does not run. In Kindle you can start running in top or bottom, and if you maintain pressed, cursor runs. Searching time is almost immediatly in Kindle, slower in Nook.

In Kindle you can change the dictionary.

To annotate or mark a text you only need to start moving the cursor and start typing or pressing joystick. In nook you need to navigate through a lot of menus. Kindle can mark text across page turnings. Nook no.

Page switch in Kindle is faster than in Nook. Same in book load time. In Kindle you can search widely through your library, mixing your books and Amazon ones. In Nook you only can search in purchased books and if you have a lot of personal documents it's a nightmare to find one.

Both haven't folder support, but last Kindle firmware allows collections. In Nook you can select three fonts and five letter sizes. In Kindle only five sizes (now 9 with last update), but that does not affect reading experience. However Kindle can change margins and interline. Nook no.

Nook is better managing PDF, but reading a PDF in a 6" ebook is a nightmare does not matter what supports the PDF viewer.

But if we talk of PDF capabilities, Boox wins Nook because it support zoom and reflow and Nook only supports reflow. And Boox supports a lot of formats and Nook only two. And Boox has folder support, and have a lot more of font sizes and families (practically infinite because you can install any font). And Boox (and Kindle) have TTS.

You can create Apps for Boox (and in a not much far future for Kindle too) and has its SDK. Boox has touchscreen. Boox page turning is faster than Nook.

You can use both Kindle and Boox internationally. Nook no.

And talking of PDF and Comics, iPad wins with a lot difference. iPad+Goodreader and iAnnotatePDF and Mobi Comic Book Reader or ComicZeal 4 is unbeatable.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #21
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Really? u cant see anything reading ? is that? I am afraid buying this device. I read about the 900 some loves it other hate it

Nook seems a nice one, but not sure either
Really. I had to use a book light to read in daytime in my living room. I read there now with no problem.

Oh, and I do not like Kindle for the proprietary lock in of its files.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #22
virplay
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes. I know what I'm talking because I've extensively used practically all e-book readers of market except Sony ones. "Extensively used" means reading with them at least 3 months.

Formats are not problem since Calibre is here and you can convert from one to other in a nutshell with a very good result.

Kindle books are cheaper than B&N ones, and Amazon has a lot more.

To do a thing with Nook you need to navigate for a lot of folders and do a lot of clicks until you get the result. In Kindle you only need 3 clicks as more.

Search a workd in a nook needs to navigate through a lot of menus, move to the word with the crappy simulated cursors and then press search. In Kindle you only need to move the joystick. Cursors in Nook only starts from top to bottom, and if you maintain pressed the key, it does not run. In Kindle you can start running in top or bottom, and if you maintain pressed, cursor runs. Searching time is almost immediatly in Kindle, slower in Nook.

In Kindle you can change the dictionary.

To annotate or mark a text you only need to start moving the cursor and start typing or pressing joystick. In nook you need to navigate through a lot of menus. Kindle can mark text across page turnings. Nook no.

Page switch in Kindle is faster than in Nook. Same in book load time. In Kindle you can search widely through your library, mixing your books and Amazon ones. In Nook you only can search in purchased books and if you have a lot of personal documents it's a nightmare to find one.

Both haven't folder support, but last Kindle firmware allows collections. In Nook you can select three fonts and five letter sizes. In Kindle only five sizes (now 9 with last update), but that does not affect reading experience. However Kindle can change margins and interline. Nook no.

Nook is better managing PDF, but reading a PDF in a 6" ebook is a nightmare does not matter what supports the PDF viewer.

But if we talk of PDF capabilities, Boox wins Nook because it support zoom and reflow and Nook only supports reflow. And Boox supports a lot of formats and Nook only two. And Boox has folder support, and have a lot more of font sizes and families (practically infinite because you can install any font). And Boox (and Kindle) have TTS.

You can create Apps for Boox (and in a not much far future for Kindle too) and has its SDK. Boox has touchscreen. Boox page turning is faster than Nook.

You can use both Kindle and Boox internationally. Nook no.

And talking of PDF and Comics, iPad wins with a lot difference. iPad+Goodreader and iAnnotatePDF and Mobi Comic Book Reader or ComicZeal 4 is unbeatable.

Thx. Well I am not in the uSA so I wont buy books on Noble.
I just want a good ereader, to read my no DRM epubs an pdfs. Just that: read
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
DarkStarPDX
Nook Master Hacker :-)
DarkStarPDX began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
I've using a Nook about a couple of weeks and I've found some flaws in 1.3 firmware.

Most important one is if metadata has accented vocals or foreign signs (like Spanish ñ) the texts are showed corrupted in Library. This happens even in purchased books like "Cuentos the Vacaciones" by Ramón y Cajal. It was working well in 1.0 version, then this seems a regression bug.

Another not less important is viewer does not support bold text. For example, in "The God Delusion" by Dawkins, the introduction is a mix on bold, italics and cites and PC B&N reader shows ok, b ut Nook (and iPad) does not show bold text.

The third flaw is battery duration: About two days with full reading.

Of course there are more problems but less important, like poor font size graduation between sizes, slow response in some circumstances, very slow and non ergonomic in some tasks like dictionary search and annotation (compared with Kindle), and the personal library is practically unusable when you have a lot of books (you cannot search for books, for example).

I know I can softroot it and install some extensions but those extensions does not solve the main problems...
Hi, I wanted to see if some of your issues have been resolved with the 1.4.0 firmware update?

Right off the bat, I noticed that the accented letters seemed to be resolved. I didn't have any issues in 1.3 with bold text. We'll have to wait and see on the battery life. I didn't have any battery issues on 1.3, however I noticed that on 1.4.0 the wifi seems to activate and connect more frequently. This will probably cause the battery to not last as long...
DarkStarPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #24
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarPDX View Post
Hi, I wanted to see if some of your issues have been resolved with the 1.4.0 firmware update?

Right off the bat, I noticed that the accented letters seemed to be resolved. I didn't have any issues in 1.3 with bold text. We'll have to wait and see on the battery life. I didn't have any battery issues on 1.3, however I noticed that on 1.4.0 the wifi seems to activate and connect more frequently. This will probably cause the battery to not last as long...
Yes, foreign letters seems solved in 1.4, but bold no.

As I have in airplane mode except I need wifi, it seem battery duration last at least one week.