Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
ginette
ginette began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
UPDATING Calibre

Is it necessary to uninstall previous versions of Calibre when installing new updates or versions.

Will my library of added book files (150) to send to the Kindle be lost?
ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You do not normally need to uninstall first. However you did not mention what OS or version you are currently using so it is hard to confirm this with absolutelt certainty.

Regardless, an uninstall/reinstall leaves your library and settings intact.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Since you have a recent and verified backup of you Calibre library, you can't loose any books.

If you don't have a backup then you will loose every book, and that will happen even if you don't upgrade.

I never uninstall before I upgrade. Haven't had any problems. But I think it might be a good thing to do. It doesn't cost anything ...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginette View Post
Is it necessary to uninstall previous versions of Calibre when installing new updates or versions.

Will my library of added book files (150) to send to the Kindle be lost?
There is a note on the download page about the ONLY (antique, Calibre speed) version that had to be uninstalled.
It does not hurt to un-install, just remember your old library path name when you re-install.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I've never had uninstall first since I didn't start calibre until after the major shift that required it (0.6.17 in Windows). I always download and save the installation file to a temporary folder on my desktop, then just make sure calibre isn't running before I run the installation file. I haven't had any problems doing that. Also, I save all my most recent installation files (same as do for all downloaded programs) in case a fatal bug crops up and I have to regress a version. So far, with upgrades coming roughly a week apart and the rare bugs being fixed in that timeframe (ain't no other program that does that; thanks, Kovid!), I've never had to do that.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Never uninstalled before upgrading under Win XP SP3 and Vista.
No problems at all.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
lep1211
lep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchforklep1211 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle fire hdx 8.9
How do I update caliber?
lep1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lep1211 View Post
How do I update caliber?
Whenever I've had an update available for Calibre there has been a small link at the bottom of the window with the version number that you can click on to get the update - or you can just go to the calibre website and download it directly.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lep1211 View Post
How do I update caliber?
try here ==>> calibre - Download ( click)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote