Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
How do you access Notes within text?

How do you access notes within an Epub non-fiction text?

When I try I get everything but - that is depending on where the note number is on the page, the touch can forward or reverse the page, or bring up the sub menu bar, or the dictionary.

So how do I access the Notes within the text - that is, when I press on a Note it takes me to the back of the book where the Notes are explained - and then when I press on the number at that end of the book it takes me back to the page that I read it on.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
The problem is to point at the foot note link text without touching the surrounding area. In many cases foot note link text are in superscript what makes it even more difficult to select them. I tried several things to get access to the foot notes: 1) Selecting a bigger font size for the book (gives a bad overall reading experience), 2) editing the epub in order to change the formatting of the link text (even then it is sometimes difficult to point the finger exactly to a footnote link text consisting of a single cipher), 3) editing the epub in order to replace the footnote link text by another that has more "body", for instance replacing "1" by "x1x" (looks terrible). These things work, but the reading experience is somehow unpleasant.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Tshering, as you say this is not the experience that it's supposed to be.

Unfortunately the book I have been testing this out on is not going to work using that method either because the superscript numbers are not recognised as being index linked. That is, they appear for all intents and purposes as text - just numbers in a superscript style.

I can't believe the issues involved in using the Glo to read non-fiction!!! You can't zoom (eg maps) unless it's Kepub, or Pdf - and the book is rendered terribly in Pdf, I tried.

The Annotations are hit and miss as to whether they're really saved, with some of my test Annotations disappearing altogther, and then whammo, one returning!!

And now the inability to access the Notes as I'm reading.

Blimey Charlie (as they say in the Classics!)

I've been using my Playbook as my primary ereader (because my Sony 650 is way too dark) and even using an app on that I can access easily the Notes!! Although I can't zoom or make Annotations.

Gee willackers!!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Not sure if the inactive superscript are actually Kobo problem or something to do with the coding in that book (although it looks like you're reading it in your Playbook too - does it work there?). I have ran into one that was a problem that way, but most seem to work fine. I actually find with current firmware that it's not that bad to try and pick them, but no doubt preferred font size could influence it if you like it small.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks Robko, I read the book on my Sony 650 last year and recently re-read a few chapters on my Playbook - and the notes worked absolutely perfectly on both.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The problem is to point at the foot note link text without touching the surrounding area. In many cases foot note link text are in superscript what makes it even more difficult to select them. I tried several things to get access to the foot notes: 1) Selecting a bigger font size for the book (gives a bad overall reading experience), 2) editing the epub in order to change the formatting of the link text (even then it is sometimes difficult to point the finger exactly to a footnote link text consisting of a single cipher), 3) editing the epub in order to replace the footnote link text by another that has more "body", for instance replacing "1" by "x1x" (looks terrible). These things work, but the reading experience is somehow unpleasant.
Perhaps  1  instead of x1x ?
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Thank you for the idea. This will possibly look nicer. To tell the truth, I gave up reading the footnotes in their appropriate context and go through them at the end of the chapter or wherever they are located.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote