Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Plastic e-books gift cards from Sony soon?

Ah, the rumor mill -- what a boring life we'd all lead without it. It's possible, very possible in fact (since I have two shiny plastic cards in my own hands), that retail stores like Borders or Sony Style may soon begin merchandising physical gift certificate cards for e-books from Sony Connect. You know, these are the cards that are usually displayed on racks near greeting cards and photo departments, and that have no value until they are activated at the cash register.

This would be pretty awesome for everyone who doesn't want to or cannot use his credit card to buy e-books from Sony online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebookscard_front.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	2607   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebookscard_back.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	2608  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Awwww...maaaaannnnn

WooHoo! Kewl Beans! These will go on my list of most wanted gifts.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
I think the Borders in Carlsbad California is doing that right now. Should say since the stand was declared safe to use back in late November.

Will check next time I go.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That should be a good way to get some eye-time for the Connect store... (provided the card can be found on a shelf of 30-40 other cards ) ...and if I had a Reader, I'd be beggin' for some of those!

Now, if they come up with cards that you can collect and save from multiple gifters... get enough, and use them to buy the Reader!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
Gift card sighting

I saw these at the Borders store in Tallahassee last week. They were on a display stand dedicated to Sony Readers and related products - no need to hunt through all sorts of gift cards.

I had a small disappointment with my Reader purchase. It seems that the deadline for authorizing your new Reader (and getting the $50 Connect store credit) was December 31. What with problems starting up my new laptop, I didn't get around to connecting the Reader to it until January 1. So it goes...

On the other hand, I would not have known about the credit if I had not joined mobileread.com. I have found way more than $50 worth of information and enjoyment from this site, and look forward to much more in the future!
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
It's a good idea, but I find using the Connect store so frustrating I doubt I'll be using once I've spent my $50

iTunes for books it ain't!
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
The Borders in downtown Seattle has had the credit card sized model since November.

I gave several as gifts (along with Readers) for Christmas.

Last time I was there they still had a fat deck of them.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
There are quite a pile of them at our local Borders (Arlington, Virginia), too.

Last edited by BobVA; 01-21-2007 at 10:26 AM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #9
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
When I purchased my Reader towards the end of last month, there was a stack of these at the Reader display as well. The store is the Borders at Flatiron Crossing, Broomfield, CO.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
They did not have them at the Borders on Kirby in Houston last week when I checked. . I asked for a Borders giftcard for Christmas in hopes that I could somehow transmute it to a Connect gift card. I was forced to spend it on (gasp) real books! I'm now back in the wilds of New Mexico, 200 miles from Borders. You would think Sony would make it just a little easier.
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Woman
They did not have them at the Borders on Kirby in Houston last week when I checked. . I asked for a Borders giftcard for Christmas in hopes that I could somehow transmute it to a Connect gift card. I was forced to spend it on (gasp) real books! I'm now back in the wilds of New Mexico, 200 miles from Borders. You would think Sony would make it just a little easier.

I just called every Borders store inside Houston (except for the Westheimer one, since they don't have the Reader as of two weeks ago). Apparently only two of them, the one on Kirby and the one in Bush Intercontinental Airport, carry the Reader. As bad luck would have it, only the one at Bush IAH has the gift cards as well. ... I seriously hope more stores get them soon, cause I'm not gonna drive out clear across 'town' to redeem the Borders gift card I still clutch.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
These are the same ones I saw last November at Boarders in Fasirfax, VA when I got my Reader. I even got a few given to me as Christmas gifts. What a nice thoughtful gift.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:07 AM   #13
evil_bunny
Enthusiast
evil_bunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony T1, iPhone 5S, iPad 3rd Gen
...those have been around since launch. I'm always amused by those who don't know how to ring it up...since it rings up just like a regular gift card.
evil_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:16 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_bunny
...those have been around since launch. I'm always amused by those who don't know how to ring it up...since it rings up just like a regular gift card.
Borders & SonyStyle stores should display them more visible. Last time I was in Chicago I spent a lot of time in book stores, I don't remember seeing any of these gift cards. Or try to find them online... wouldn't it make sense to sell them online as well?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Plastic e-books gift cards from Sony soon?

I went to a Borders store to buy $100 of the gift cards for the eReader I already have, and was told I could only buy them with a reader, not separately. Have others actually bought the cards separate from a reader?

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote