Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a Bookeen eink reader?
I would pay no more than $200.00USD 20 21.05%
I would buy two at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would pay no more than $250.00USD 13 13.68%
I would buy two at no more than $250.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $250.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $300.00USD 16 16.84%
I would buy two at no more than $300.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $300.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would pay no more than $350.00USD 25 26.32%
I would buy two at no more than $350.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $350.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $400.00USD 10 10.53%
I would buy two at no more than $400.00USD each 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #31
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
Manga (or Comics) reading mode !
-> full screen browsing of images
-> portrait x lanscape
-> fit height x fit width
+ browsing zip files with images would be also cool
Old 12-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #32
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Yeah, I'd like a touch screen too! But as a "nice to have" rather than a "required".
In my case the integrated light is only "nice to have," but some easy to use form of input is required -- I plan to have a lot of text on this thing, I need to be able to search through all of it, and I need to be able to mark places with notes to come back to again. If I didn't need that sort of functionality, I could get the Sony reader. If I wanted to do all this with a keyboard, I'd stick with my laptop.

Funny, but in a way my needs could almost be summed up as "like the eBookWise 1150, but with E Ink and Linux, and an open architecture so we can expand it ourselves." Of course, the eBookWise does have integrated lighting. Perhaps a solution other than the lightwedge could be used? I'm envisioning a sort of popup panel that would cast light across the front of the screen when popped up, and turn itself off when popped back into the body.

By the way, does the lightwedge at all reduce readability in sunlight?
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
By the way, does the lightwedge at all reduce readability in sunlight?
Interesting question .... I don't think so since it's just a clear piece of plastic when it's not turned on ....

I've wondered some about some sort of edge-mounted tracklighting without a light distribution panel too. But not enough to take a guess at how well it might work (i.e. I haven't tried to build one to see how it might work ).

Maybe after the holidays I'll have some more time to play with such things. I think I can still remember how to soldier.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #34
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just went to look at the lightwedge website. The wedge isn't very thick. I think the touchscreen could go on top of it. I would suggest actually angling the wedge and the underlying e ink screen slightly inside the case to split the thickness of the wedge. The refraction of the acrylic would alter the appearance of the e ink page anyhow. A little tweaking would minimize both the refraction and the way the wedge would stick up. The pen calibration might also need to be tweaked to account for the difference in appearance of the e ink across the wedge. But it would be a killer combination. I'd up my purchase price to $400 easy, assuming the OS was still open to developers. As someone earlier pointed out, the two aspects of the Sony Reader that are constantly beat up in reviews are the lack of lighting and lack of search. This would provide both.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:12 PM   #35
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
I agree with most of RWood's post with some shuffling, etc:

1. Ability to open other DRM formats like PDF and PDB
2. Support for basic formats such as DOC, HTML, RTF (with pictures), TXT, and PDF.
3. Replaceable battery or very long life battery.
4. USB interface and have it look like a USB device to the computer.
5. Organized storage -- no flat model only.
6. Ability to delete on board
7. SD card slot.
8. Sync with Desktop
9. Search

Nice to have

10. Dictionary (Palm like function)
11. Zoom
12. Touch screen
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #36
Redfoot
Redfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150
I would be able to go to about $250, but as I have more than 2000 .lit books I would need that capability. As for the touch screen, I have the touch screen on my eBookwise-1150, and I would love to be able to turn it off. I keep accidentally touching the screen and highlighting text that I do not want to highlight.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #37
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
Wi-Fi

In addition to a lot of features allready mentioned (particularly the number of formats and replaceable battery), I would like a Wi-Fi b/g on my ebook reader.

With this feature I can connect with either an online bookshelf (such as the ebookwise does) AND unlike the ebookwise, connect to a user specified address for a bookshelf that runs on my server at home or Gutenberg or whatever the new incarnation of blackmask is etc.

That way I can connect to my home network through my router or via the web while I'm traveling. No p.i.t.a. cords. Ever.

Daj.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajala
In addition to a lot of features allready mentioned (particularly the number of formats and replaceable battery), I would like a Wi-Fi b/g on my ebook reader.
It might make more sense to have a PCMCIA slot. That way people could put in whatever connectivity they wanted, and choose how much power they wanted to spend on it, too. And also, a GPS card could be dropped in if someone wanted to create a smart map application.

Just a thought....

@Redfoot, being able to turn off the touch screen is a fine idea. Just so long as it can also be turned on.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #39
sebfro
sebfro began at the beginning.

Device: Librie
I second EVERYTRHING you say.

1.) we need an "open source" system so we can program everything we need ouerselves. I am 100% confident that we have a dedicated community.

2.) physical ergonomics. I am not comfortable with the current readers. Especiall if I have to use them in landscape mode. (-> "any of the four edges of the device is the "top" ")

and something I fancy (but won't hit the market for some time)
3.) I would like to have a A5 display (10"). So I can have any A4 pdfs in Landscape mode. I don't mind scrollling as long as nothing gets resized.

Everything else: Well, give us the basics and the tools (read: open source) to do the rest ourselves. The hardware needs to be desgined. Software features later.

P.S. I'd order one even if it is well above USD 400,-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
Others have made plenty of sensible comments about features. It seems to me that any request that involves custom development will likely price the device out of reach for a small order (under a 1000 or so units).

Y'all have probably seen my rant about the physical ergonomics of the Sony reader. Doing significantly better than that would be high on my list of desired features. (A page-bar like the iLiad might help...) Open source Linux-based system would allow porting, and so is good. Lastly, support for rotating so any of the four edges of the device is the "top" seems like a darned good idea.

Xenophon

Last edited by sebfro; 12-13-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #40
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
It might make more sense to have a PCMCIA slot...
A PCMCIA would'nt work. You have to remember that this device is slim, just about the thickness of a PCMCIA. Remember also that the machine exists and has a fixed design. All we can add must not interfere physically. The only hardware possible is a touchscreen because it goes over the eink. What is customizable mostly, unless I'm wrong, is all the software part...and that LOGO thing!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #41
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Ok, I can see why PCMCIA won't work. Could the USB port be used to stick on a USB wireless adapter, or is it one-way, only allowing the PC/Mac to see the unit as a USB drive? Some kind of hardware expandability is a Good Thing.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #42
paul-mke
paul-mke began at the beginning.

Device: iPAQ rx5915
My wish list for features would be:
1. Formats: PDF, DOC, TXT, HTML
2. Scale PDFs appropriately (I read alot of PDF manuals- which present a problem on a small screen).
3. Memory card slot
4. USB port for transferring files
5. Long lasting battery, preferably replaceable
6. Search capabilities
7. Go to page...
8. Bookmarks
9. Ability to change the orientation of the screen
I would be definitely interested in purchasing one if it came in or below the $300 USD mark- with the willingness to trade off on certain features.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 AM   #43
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Wow, this is all pretty interesting.

However, I think you guys have to realize that there are VERY FEW things that Bookeen is going to go out and do to sell 200 units. It's not going to be seeing much more than $20k in profits, so it's not going to spend more than $5k. However, there's still a bit that can be done.

First, we have to ask what WE can do and develop.

We need to design our own case. CAD isn't hard, and making an image to paint the plastic is even easier.

Regarding hardware, there should be a STANDARD usb port, to attach keyboards, bluetooth, wifi, etc. This should be easy for bookeen to add. Stuff like touchscreens and extra buttons are probably out of reach for us.

Freely modifiable software isn't even worth mentioning. In fact, I hardly want Bookeen to provide much except the basic OS and drivers. (ie, no point making lists of software features that we want Bookeen to provide)

Custom case, USB peripheral port (ie host, not slave), and an easy-to-use SDK is all that's needed to kick the pants off of everything else.

Maybe we can even sell it commercial and pay our community developers. Altho that might be a bit more organization than a forum can create.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:09 AM   #44
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I would also get it only if it displays English characters + Chinese characters (Big5 traditional + GBK simplified) + English menu.

And no conversion apps please. Native HTML with links support and text support. PDF is a plus but not mandatory.

I have a series of reference texts (14+ mb compressed) in 6000+ html files. They are cross-referenced using links and are updated like at least once a month. If I can simply update the necessary html file incrementally instead of having to convert everytime a single file changes, I would get it.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #45
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
However, I think you guys have to realize that there are VERY FEW things that Bookeen is going to go out and do to sell 200 units. It's not going to be seeing much more than $20k in profits, so it's not going to spend more than $5k. However, there's still a bit that can be done.

First, we have to ask what WE can do and develop.
Remember, though, that they would probably love to develop core features and have them paid for by initial sales, so if there are enough bodies to do it, then a few zero profit sales might be worth it for them. They end up with the additional features to use for future sales.

But it would definitely be more interesting and price effective if MobileReaders are able and willing and interested in developing features on their own. This might be a platform that works well for this. And nothing against Bookeen, but I suspect the folks here would do a better job also!
Closed Thread