Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Lenovo Upstages Apple??

petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Is it just me or did he have to drag his finger slooooooowly while in tablet mode to get the screen to react.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Is it just me or did he have to drag his finger slooooooowly while in tablet mode to get the screen to react.
That's because the display is resistive.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Yeah, I've seen this one. It's cool. Release!
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
$1000

what what what!

Great concept form and function but not going to get my $1000.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Oh I would buy this shiny right now, I liked it the moment I saw it on Endgadget. It's worth $1000. It's not a big iPod, it's has slate mode which looks better then iPad and it has a real mode with keyboard and real os where you can work like create documents and code etc.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Oh I would buy this shiny right now, I liked it the moment I saw it on Endgadget. It's worth $1000. It's not a big iPod, it's has slate mode which looks better then iPad and it has a real mode with keyboard and real os where you can work like create documents and code etc.
I don't want to argue, but a point of fact is in order. The iPad can be used for document creation and work, either with the touch keypad, or with the keyboard dock, or with a Bluetooth keyboard. And Apple will have the iWork suite on the iPad.

I also think people should hold off on the thoughts that the U1 will be an anything killer just yet because the interface, and possible limits, of the tablet portion are not known. It has a shiny interface, but has it been so cut down and locked down as to not allow you to do real work while in tablet mode? Dunno. We know the Win7 base will be good though.

Oh, and $1000, no thanks. If I'm going to spend $1000, I'm going to pony up a bit more and get a nice 13" MacBook Pro.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'll want to see more of this, especially in tablet mode, but I'll definitely be looking at this device later in the year.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
That's because the display is resistive.
Ah, but still hard to justify the price. For that much may as well either go for a laptop
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
I don't want to argue, but a point of fact is in order. The iPad can be used for document creation and work, either with the touch keypad, or with the keyboard dock, or with a Bluetooth keyboard. And Apple will have the iWork suite on the iPad.
Work my friend is not iWork. I could create documents on my firs IPAQ. It's just that a document. Can you create 500 pages technical documentation? In multiple formats for publishing and help compilation?
Can iMeh run SAS or any other statistical packgage? Can it edit anything, video, sound, flash? Oh wait, my fault it cannot even read it.

Well this baby with a base and windows 7 can. So yeah I think it's worth double of iMeh. Plus it doesn't have ugly bezel in slate mode.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Work my friend is not iWork. I could create documents on my firs IPAQ. It's just that a document. Can you create 500 pages technical documentation? In multiple formats for publishing and help compilation?
Can iMeh run SAS or any other statistical packgage? Can it edit anything, video, sound, flash? Oh wait, my fault it cannot even read it.

Well this baby with a base and windows 7 can. So yeah I think it's worth double of iMeh. Plus it doesn't have ugly bezel in slate mode.
Ah when you said 'work' you meant your work? you should have been more clear. my work involves creating Word documents and presentations and I can do that on the iPad.

I can also browse my online reference materials on it.

For $500 plus $50 for bluetooth keyboard the iPad is going to be much cheaper for my work.

no point at all paying an extra $450 for something taht takes longer to boot, is heavier, runs an OS im unfamiliar with and has shorter battery life.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
They showed the tablet doing movies/music/books + becoming a normal laptop with windows 7. It's different to the iPad which is doing iWork/movies/music/books/apps/full web browsing on a highly responsive capacitive IPS screen (you can tell the lenovo is a standard LCD because at the start of the vid the angle makes it hard to see).

While it looks like it 'could be' very cool, the 'tablet' component doesn't seem as strong to me as the iPad. The problem is I already have a macbook pro, so having a tablet snap onto a keyboard and become windows 7 isn't very useful to me. I have a laptop so don't need another one. That means I have to judge it on it's tablet merits and going by those and it's $1000 pricetag it's not close to an iPad.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
I thought the U1 was a good tech preview. It shows you can meld it. but really that tablet just doesn't compare to the iPad. Watch the way it moves and how slow it is compared to the quick responses the iPad has. Also the fact that its 2x the price? And congrats you can use Word when DOCKED. It is running Linux in tablet mode and they have not even mentioned it opening word docs while in tablet mode (plus i have never seen more in the tablet screen then the home screen and web browser). Wouldn't it just be cheaper to get the iPad and a bluetooth keyboard or the iPad Dock with built in Keyboard?

I understand that the U1 is an exciting idea. Just even when I saw the coverage from CES nobody seemed to think "Oh I need this device" every response was "Wow, that is cool". Sorry but that is not guna win. Also btw this product was announced at CES which was weeks ago so if anything Apple upstaged Lenovo. Sorry for the reality check.
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Cluster View Post
if anything Apple upstaged Lenovo. Sorry for the reality check.
A, Then perhaps Lenovo wins with the Lephone...

. . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The concept is great. But, just like Apple, the major mistake is that it is no real computer when it is in tablet form. Still, a step up from that huge iPDA thingy.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote