Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Febrary 2010 Book Club Poll
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell 26 25.00%
The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler 8 7.69%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 11 10.58%
Shadow Game by Christine Feehan 9 8.65%
It Happened In Egypt by Charles Norris Williamson (1859-1920) and Alice Muriel Williamson (1869-1933) 4 3.85%
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 17 16.35%
His Robot Girlfriend by Wesley Allison (HistoryWes) 12 11.54%
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne 7 6.73%
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase 6 5.77%
Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn 4 3.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #31
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've voted - and not for GWTW. But should this book really win, I will read it in the spirit of the bookclub again. Hope there aren't any slow readers out here as this is rather largish book and will take some time to read through.

Having fingers crossed that other people vote for other books as well - I am really not that keen on re-reading it. Trust me, the movie is long enough as it is, and I find the main characters just so annoying.

And btw, [warning: kind of spoiler happening]
this is a book without happy ending so shouldn't be in the Romance category (where they always get eachother, one way or other)

Ups, I hope I didn't spoil it now
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I almost didn't vote for it due to the length....but last month was a short story.....

Oh well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #33
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
I voted for Romancing Mr. Bridgerton. I figure if I'm going to read a romance, no sense in going half way.

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Never feel bad about what you vote for
Unless its romance from Mills & Boon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #35
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Wasn't there a recent movie about something like that?
There was a quite recent Japanese film - "My Girlfriend is a Cyborg"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg_She
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #36
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I have not figured out how to vote, since I have already read 6 of the choices, and one of the other 3 has been on my to be read list for several months. I guess I will vote for that one--His Robot Girlfriend.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #37
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Wow. Talk about being blown away. Here I was, reading through the abstracts for the books in question, totally ignorant of my own book's place in the list until I stumbled across it. I'd say it was humbling, but it is in fact probably giving me a bit of a swelled head. For myself, I'd choose The House of the Seven Gables, though I'm right in the middle of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 AM   #38
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I chose the House of the Seven Gables. I've been meaning to re-read both Gone with the Wind and Wuthering Heights, but I generally don't like to vote for books I've already read. I'm not much of a romance reader, but I re-watched GWTW the other night and I realised that it's been so long that I couldn't recall most of the details.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #39
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I'd say it was humbling, but it is in fact probably giving me a bit of a swelled head.
I don't think I have ever seen an author admit that Fwiw I thought your book was well-written and a little sweet, but it had no plot so I didn't vote for it
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless its romance from Mills & Boon.
I love Mills and Boon (or rather, Harlequin in the US).

Can't see how it's much worse that Star Trek novels.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #41
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I love Mills and Boon (or rather, Harlequin in the US).

Can't see how it's much worse that Star Trek novels.
Mills and Boon use different types of photon torpedoes.

Sorry.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I'd say it was humbling, but it is in fact probably giving me a bit of a swelled head.
As well it should be. Being nominated to be voted on in the MRBC is a hugely prestigious honor.

(ok not really)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
As well it should be. Being nominated to be voted on in the MRBC is a hugely prestigious honor.

BOb

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #44
PlainBobMax
PlainBobMax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hello all,

Are there rules posted anywhere for participating in the Book Club? I am new here.

Thanks!
PlainBobMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainBobMax View Post
Hello all,

Are there rules posted anywhere for participating in the Book Club? I am new here.

Thanks!
It's pretty much outlined in the first message here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30382

Things have changed a bit since then. I keep meaning to re-do that first message... but you know how it goes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote