Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Naming after a literary character if you have the same last name too

I got my class lists for school yesterday, and one of my incoming Kindergarten students shares a name (first AND last!) with one of the central characters---not the boy wizard himself, but one of the Potter parents. I have to admit, I snickered a little. I mean, how could they NOT know? I understand that Potter is a common surname, and perhaps they really liked the first name and couldn't agree on another, or perhaps they were honouring a relative. But really, the kid is going to get Harry Potter jokes just from the last name. Using the first name too just seems mean, doesn't it?

On the other hand, it IS a very common name. Maybe they didn't know? Could they really not have known? Part of me is dying to ask them if they did it on purpose, but of course it is not the child's fault either way about their name and it isn't really my business But truly, it's like having the last name 'Claus' and choosing to name your kid 'Santa.' Why do people do that?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

This poor child is going to need a lot of hugs, plus develop a thick skin.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I once heard a woman scolding her two boys in the grocery store. She called one "Malcolm X" and the other "Blake Carrington" (yes, the Blake Carrington from the 80s show Dynasty).

I have often said that the mothers must have had horrible labor giving birth to children when I hear of names like this (or the one you mentioned).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I once heard a woman scolding her two boys in the grocery store. She called one "Malcolm X" and the other "Blake Carrington" (yes, the Blake Carrington from the 80s show Dynasty).

I have often said that the mothers must have had horrible labor giving birth to children when I hear of names like this (or the one you mentioned).
As typified by my former great uncle who rejoiced in the name of "Wellington Boot". What on Earth would possess parents to give a name like that to a baby? A warped sense of humour?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
On the other hand, it IS a very common name. Maybe they didn't know? Could they really not have known? Part of me is dying to ask them if they did it on purpose, but of course it is not the child's fault either way about their name and it isn't really my business But truly, it's like having the last name 'Claus' and choosing to name your kid 'Santa.' Why do people do that?
I think it's very possible that they parents didn't know. I've never read any of the Harry Potter novels, have no interest in reading them and have no idea what any of the characters names are besides Harry Potter. So, if my last name was Potter and I just had a baby, I guess there would be some chance I would saddle the child with a name that was also a book character. But you're right. Teasing will probably follow, at least through his formative years.

Maybe it would be wise for expectant parents to Google the full names they're considering to bestow on their progeny before they make their final decision, just to make sure there are no unfavorable historical or literary connections they're not aware of before they saddle the poor child with unnecessary teasing fodder.

On a side note ... I think many Hollywood Personalities should be shot, or at least incarcerated, for the names they impose on their poor offspring. Are they not at all concerned about the unnecessary baggage their inflicting on their children with some of the monickers they choose? You all know what I mean.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As typified by my former great uncle who rejoiced in the name of "Wellington Boot". What on Earth would possess parents to give a name like that to a baby? A warped sense of humour?
Oh thank you Harry! I'm cleaning the Pepsi I just spit on my monitor from laughing at this .... Do you think the baby might not have been 'quite' wanted?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
On a side note ... I think many Hollywood Personalities should be shot, or at least incarcerated, for the names they impose on their poor offspring. Are they not at all concerned about the unnecessary baggage their inflicting on their children with some of the monickers they choose? You all know what I mean.
The kids already have enough unnecessary baggage to contend with given their parents in the first place.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I sometimes wonder about women whose married names result in something like that. E.g. was she actually attracted to her husband because her given name was Scarlett and his last name was O’Hara?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote