Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Need help with line spacing

Hi everyone

I have put together a short poetry anthology off a website I visit. All the poems are public domain so it should be no problem to share the file with you to ask my question

Anyway, it seems like there are extra spaces between paragraphs and I don't know why. I have another book I have edited and the code looks the same (granted, I am not a code expert, but I did look) so I don't know what the problem is.

I do want an extra line between paragraphs/stanzas, but it seems like what I am seeing (in Calibre and when converted to Mobi and viewed on my Kindle) is too much space. I also tried the 'remove line breaks' option in the mobi conversion in Calibre and that did not help either.

Advice?
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Ambleside Poetry Anthology - Ambleside Online.epub (126.6 KB, 298 views)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Hi everyone

I have put together a short poetry anthology off a website I visit. All the poems are public domain so it should be no problem to share the file with you to ask my question

Anyway, it seems like there are extra spaces between paragraphs and I don't know why. I have another book I have edited and the code looks the same (granted, I am not a code expert, but I did look) so I don't know what the problem is.

I do want an extra line between paragraphs/stanzas, but it seems like what I am seeing (in Calibre and when converted to Mobi and viewed on my Kindle) is too much space. I also tried the 'remove line breaks' option in the mobi conversion in Calibre and that did not help either.

Advice?
I see Zero Styles or style sheet.
What you see is whatever the default that the browser/viewer supplies.

I am not a Poetry layout expert , and I don't use div's.
But it seems that you should set Top and bottom Margins for Stanzas..
Cruise on over to the EPUB forum on MR for Poetry Ideas.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
LOL you are already over my head a little I don't know how to set a stylesheet. I was in WYSIWYG mode and thought that would be fine. I did peek at the code (I know some basic HTML) but that was the extent of it. Is there a tutorial I can peruse for further information? I am more than willing to learn
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Vigorcat
Banned
Vigorcat began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have viewed your ePub book in adobe digital edition reader, there isn't any extra space between paragraph. So I think the extra spaces are appeared after you have uploaded to website.

Was there any space before you putting your file on webpage? If not, there may something wrong with the internal code or the ePub creation process. I think if you can tagged the paragraph spacing of your file, it will not be altered after uploading to site.
Vigorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I played around with "January" and set up a stylesheet for you to look at. I'm not sure I got rid of the inter-stanza extra line you were asking about. See the attachment.

Anyway, here is a link to an html tutorial.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_getstarted.asp

Regards - John

P.S. I edited "January" using search and replace and changed a few things that caught my eye, so don't be surprised if you find some glaring errors. I didn't proof it.
Attached Files
File Type: epub XXXThe Ambleside Poetry Anthology - Ambleside Online.epub (127.3 KB, 309 views)
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert