Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
Subcollections

Hi all,

I've spent the morning reading old posts and don't see anything about the ability to build subcollections (Collections under Collections) by using a hack or other method. While using Plugboards for a series via Calibre is awesome, this would be the ideal solution to managing a lot of books within the same category.

Ideally I'm looking to do something like this:

Fiction --> Fantasy
Fiction --> Fantasy --> JRR Tolkien
Fiction --> Fantasy --> Robert Jordan
Fiction --> Fantasy --> JK Rowling
Fiction --> Crime/Mystery/Thrillers
Fiction --> Crime/Mystery/Thrillers --> Stieg Larsson
Fiction --> Crime/Mystery/Thrillers --> James Patterson
Fiction --> Law and Politics
Fiction --> Law and Politics --> John Grisholm
Fiction --> SciFi
NonFiction --> Political
NonFiction --> Science
NonFiction --> Biographies
NonFiction --> Humor/Satire

Does anyone know of a way to do this? If not, how do you manage your libary, for those of you who have a lot of books?

Thanks!
Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont organize past author, title, and series. I tried but it just became more and more frustrating
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekette70 View Post
Does anyone know of a way to do this?.
No. (For most values of anyone.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekette70 View Post
If not, how do you manage your libary, for those of you who have a lot of books?
Not on the Kindle, which is a reading device, not an organizing device. That's just the way Amazon designed it. I organize my library on my laptop, if I feel the need to organize it at all. I tend to file off by year, and sometimes quarter. That's more for archival storage, though.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Your right in that there is no current way to to create subcollections. This was not the way the Kindle was designed.

One of the bigggest mind shifts you have to make is that collections are not folders. Your books aren't actually physically located within these collections, you just "point" them to the collection.

As a result you can have the 1 book physically on your Kindle once but "pointed" to 5 different collections.

That being said I have used a plugboard to rename my books with the series name and the author by Initial Surname.

I don't sort my books within genre.

I have about 700 books in the K3 with about 10,000 in Calibre.

Brewjono
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
martinhinsch
martinhinsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXG
There are programs and scripts which can convert a folder structure on the kindle into a set of collections. Although better than nothing it's still far from a perfect solution since of course all collections + subcollections end up cluttering your home screen.
What we (I at least) really need is subcollections or, as an alternative, the ability to have links to books in text/mobi/pdf files.
martinhinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
This thread might help.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37#post1237437
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There are 4 programs or hacks for collections (that I know of). Two are supposed to work with Calibre. You can find links to them here.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote