Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Scuzzball
Scuzzball began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Scuzzball fucks up, suprises everyone.

This has now become "Scuzzball is a bloody noob and fucks everything up, but in weird ways and fails to see the obvious except in hindsight"
(Many thanks for all the help)

Original post:
Spoiler:
Ironically, this started when I thought "Oh, I should probably back up in case something goes wrong".
So I started out reading the stuff on the wiki page, and I did the universal hack for my kindle. It worked, and I installed yifanlu's gui thing, JBpatch, some JBpatch requirement, and the ad removal.

I then started the steps to do the backup, the first of which being USB networking.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking#SSH.3F
Those were the instructions I followed.
I got into diags mode, and turned on USBnet, and could set the IP of my laptop on the usb0 interface, but couldn't SSH in. It was saying the connection was refused, or whatever the error is when the thing you're trying to connect to isn't running anything to connect to.

This is when things went bad, I found I couldn't leave diags. The stop diags option or whatever it's called resulted in an error about a lack of xml file, reboot just went back to the main menu, and the reset just went back to diags. Reading for a while on the forums, I got the USB mode happening, and deleted the ENABLE_DIAGS file, but it still booted to diags.
After dicking around with the imx_usb_loader for a while, and not really knowing how to use it, I eventually just booted windows and used the MfgTool to select main as the boot, and it worked.
But that's just a temporary thing, and I'm not really sure what to do to fix it.

I'm really sorry that I'm having trouble with all of this, but I just eventually decided to make my own thread to ask for help after an hour of reading in circles on what to do, with little being explained.

From what I understand, I should be trying to ssh into the thing, and I should be able to fix it from there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=12
That says just not to mix 5.0.x and 5.1.x, but there are no 5.1.x diag images that I see... The ones people are always referencing have no version numbers, so is there another source?

Last edited by Scuzzball; 12-22-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Scuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can create the missing XML file by running the first diag in the main diags menu. Then you can disable diags in the exit menu. Also, your battery will continuously discharge while in diags mode, so you should keep it plugged into a charger until you get around to exiting diags properly.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
Scuzzball

It has been plugged into a laptop, and after noticing that the reason I was having trouble with fastboot was that it contained an HTML redirect, not an actual program.
I had gotten it from sudoforlunch.cc.something, which turned into sudoforlunch.org, and never put it back up or something.
So it started working(Defined as boots to the normal kindle stuff) when I was fucking around trying to find the ID to make it work for windows.

I may have run that diag while trying to find the ID.

I'm currently a bit confused on what I'm supposed to be trying to flash to the diags so I can SSH into it in the future, and how I'm supposed to find the device id for the windows stuff, and if I could just ignore the windows stuff and get a copy of fastboot for linux.

EDIT:
Should I just do this:
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...ssh_README.txt
?

Last edited by Scuzzball; 12-22-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzball View Post
Yep!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Scuzzball

Okay, many thanks for your help, I'll be trying that once I get home, halfway across the united states, by car. Woo.

While the information on this forum is jumbled, and sometimes hard to follow, it is immensely useful. Thank you(Both of you) for such work at it, I"ve been seeing your posts everywhere, and they are quite immensely useful at times. Especially the compiled information threads.
Thank you.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Okay, many thanks for your help, I'll be trying that once I get home, halfway across the united states, by car. Woo.

While the information on this forum is jumbled, and sometimes hard to follow, it is immensely useful. Thank you(Both of you) for such work at it, I"ve been seeing your posts everywhere, and they are quite immensely useful at times. Especially the compiled information threads.
Thank you.
That is why I created the master index sticky thread and the prefix index wikis (at about the same time that we developed the Dev Corner forum prefixes [Thanks dreams! ]) .

Hopefully people will continue to add links to the index wikis that point into this forum (and other places on the greater interwebs) in a concerted group effort to "unjumblify" all of the great content we have here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-22-2012 at 09:43 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Ouch. Sorry about that sudoforlunch.org. I will update that.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Scuzzball

Okay: Worrying. I did the steps listed here
http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...ssh_README.txt

It still boots fine, thankfully, but the diags mode doesn't let me ssh in once I've enabled usb networking.
Should I try again? Not really sure how this could happen, it not have ssh support, but still boot.

Last edited by Scuzzball; 12-22-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
It still boots fine, thankfully, but the diags mode doesn't let me ssh in once I've enabled usb networking.
Tell us a bit more than "doesn't work" please.

What is the address of the Kindle used?
What is the address of the client machine used?
What OS is the client machine?
What application is used on the client machine?
What is the "doesn't work" message produced at the client machine?

What have you done to be sure that sshd is running on the kindle once you've enabled usb networking?
Are you using nmap? Or some other tool?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Scuzzball

Right, really do need to specify stuff like that.

Using the IP's specified here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=13

Computer IP, set with "sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201"
Kindle IP: 192.168.15.244

Computer OS: Xubuntu
I just used "ssh root@192.168.15.244"
Error on above command:
ssh: connect to host 192.168.15.244 port 22: Connection refused

I can ping it.

I haven't tried nmap, but if it's not running on port 22, not sure what I would be trying to find with nmap.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An open port 22.
"ping" usually means that icmp protocol is responding (unless your using a special version of "ping").
Nmap will tell us if a server is running on that address:port-whatever. (Higher level test, higher level protocols than icmp.)

sudo apt-get install nmap
Do not be surprised if it is already installed.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Scuzzball

I got zenmap, just for the sake of lazyness(I usually do use cli's, but I started using it when still on windows, and meh)
Command: nmap -p 22 -T4 -A -v 192.168.15.244
PHP Code:
Starting Nmap 6.00 http://nmap.org ) at 2012-12-22 23:18 EST
NSELoaded 93 scripts for scanning.
NSEScript Pre-scanning.
Initiating Ping Scan at 23:18
Scanning 192.168.15.244 
[2 ports]
Completed Ping Scan at 23:180.00s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 1 hostat 23:18
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 1 host
at 23:180.04s elapsed
Initiating Connect Scan at 23
:18
Scanning 192.168.15.244 
[1 port]
Completed Connect Scan at 23:180.00s elapsed (1 total ports)
Initiating Service scan at 23:18
NSE
Script scanning 192.168.15.244.
Initiating NSE at 23:18
Completed NSE at 23
:180.00s elapsed
Nmap scan report 
for 192.168.15.244
Host is up 
(0.0015s latency).
PORT   STATE  SERVICE VERSION
/tcp closed ssh

NSE
Script Post-scanning.
Read data files from: /usr/bin/../share/nmap
Service detection performed
Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
Nmap done1 IP address (1 host upscanned in 0.29 seconds 
Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Installing USBnetworking does several things (it is a script which you can read if curious).

One of the things is to modify iptables to open port 22 incoming.
That change has been done, at sometime, somehow.
Otherwise nmap would report "status: blocked"

That report looks like sshd is not running.
How are you trying to start sshd after installing USBnetworking?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Scuzzball

I was just starting USBnet in diags, I thought that was all I had to do...
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Someone more familar with using USBnet might be able to help out at this point.
Or maybe some help available in the README file or indexed in the Wiki.