Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #106
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
That is a very odd thread, and it just makes our little quest even more tantalising!
Indeed!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #107
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Thanks for file! (Microsoft ey? )

(Tiny tiny correction: my WiFi was off during the manual updates [2.0.2. and 2.1.1], and I think my original firmware was something below 1.9.14 because I remember starting off with 1.9.14 after an update during registration...)
Yes - I wish there was more choice than Microsoft with its very strange attitude towards its users, but lots of choice and ability to play, Apple with its easy to use software but no real chance to play, and *nix with its great security but ... [engage tact mode] difficult ... user base. I've defaulted to Microsoft because it is what is used in most organisations, but I try to use FOSS at home.

Anyway, back on topic - I'll update those details for the next v0.0.3 - apologies.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #108
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes - I wish there was more choice than Microsoft with its very strange attitude towards its users, but lots of choice and ability to play, Apple with its easy to use software but no real chance to play, and *nix with its great security but ... [engage tact mode] difficult ... user base. I've defaulted to Microsoft because it is what is used in most organisations, but I try to use FOSS at home.
Ah well at least it was a conscious choice. Approved.
Quote:
Anyway, back on topic - I'll update those details for the next v0.0.3 - apologies.
Nah, no apologies needed. I wasn't clear on the first part, and the second part, well, I wasn't really clear about that either
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #109
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Ah well at least it was a conscious choice. Approved.
Thank you

Quote:
Nah, no apologies needed. I wasn't clear on the first part, and the second part, well, I wasn't really clear about that either
You are very gracious
Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #110
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Quote:
That is a very odd thread, and it just makes our little quest even more tantalising!
Yes, curiouser and curiouser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
We will have an official post when 2.1.X is available for everyone.
Quote:
We are working towards making this build along with later improvements available for everyone soon.
These comments would indicate that 2.1.1 may not be the next "official" release. That the official 2.1.x release will contain further code changes.

Quote:
If you already have received 2.1.1 on your Kobo Touch device through the Desktop or over Wifi this is intentional and this build is safe for you to use on your device.
Could we infer from this that 2.1.1 update is implemented only for those with specific previous version(s) installed? Or another possibility, tho possibly less likely, is that its h/w specific?

Do we have any data from users who reported automatic 2.1.1 update from desktop or wifi sync?

Last edited by kumaryu; 09-12-2012 at 06:19 PM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #111
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
A note about factories.

I'm just guessing on whether the letter is a factory code or not. Considering serial numbers are generally sequential, and assigning blocks of numbers to a factory can lead to problems, it is easier to just tag the serial number with the factory code and let multiple devices have the same numeric part of the serial number.

Kobo will probably be using a limited number of factories, all of the devices are most likely being made in Taiwan or China.

A number of devices in this thread have a B letter code, these devices were sold all over the world.

It's possible that Kobo has a master list of serial numbers and has information regarding things like factory hardware and firmware levels. Or they may have encoded this information in the serial number. The only thing that we know for sure is that it isn't encoded on the 2nd, 4th and 5th fields, as everyone has the same values in those fields.

Now I'm wondering what would happen if you changed the serial number to a Japanese version and see if Desktop will download the 2.1.1 software automatically.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #112
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
Yes, curiouser and curiouser...

These comments would indicate that 2.1.1 may not be the next "official" release. That the official 2.1.x release will contain further code changes.

Could we infer from this that 2.1.1 update is implemented only for those with specific previous version(s) installed? Or another possibility, tho possibly less likely, is that its h/w specific?
Good point about the next release being 2.1.x, or even 2.2.0. There is a suspicion that there is a difference in some machines, either hardware or FW (or both!) that is nominally region specific.

Quote:
Do we have any data from users who reported automatic 2.1.1 update from desktop or wifi sync?
Only one - syber posted on another thread that he didn't have the same Home page as his documentation and couldn't find the settings. From his description a couple of regulars realised that it was the 2.1.1 front end, and I asked him to post some details here. There are a few differences from what we had already seen (though, with only 14 data points so far, we can't draw too many conclusions!), the most significant being a slightly different end string to the \kobo\variant file (320, instead of 310 seen in all other fully reported files). He also has a J in the prefix string, also not seen in any other reports.

I'm going to shut the computer off for the night now, but tomorrow I'll ask those people on the "Warning" thread who have had updates to 2.1.1 pushed automatically to them if they would contribute their data, too.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #113
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
A note about factories.

I'm just guessing on whether the letter is a factory code or not. Considering serial numbers are generally sequential, and assigning blocks of numbers to a factory can lead to problems, it is easier to just tag the serial number with the factory code and let multiple devices have the same numeric part of the serial number.

Kobo will probably be using a limited number of factories, all of the devices are most likely being made in Taiwan or China.

A number of devices in this thread have a B letter code, these devices were sold all over the world.

It's possible that Kobo has a master list of serial numbers and has information regarding things like factory hardware and firmware levels. Or they may have encoded this information in the serial number. The only thing that we know for sure is that it isn't encoded on the 2nd, 4th and 5th fields, as everyone has the same values in those fields.

Now I'm wondering what would happen if you changed the serial number to a Japanese version and see if Desktop will download the 2.1.1 software automatically.
I'll try and get some more information from the folks who have also reported being updated to 2.1.1 automatically, murg.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #114
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been wondering about fish names....

albacore (1.9.14)
bowfin (1.9.16)
cod (1.9.17)
devario (2.0)
eel (2.02)

The version numbers skip but what appears to be alphabetically sequenced code names don't. This may indicate that those w/ code names in alphabetic order are "official" releases.

The download directory for 2.1.1 is "r green". It doesn't appear to be a fish name and is out of sequence.

Last edited by kumaryu; 09-12-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #115
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My guess is that the 2.1.1 firmware is for a particular hardware version. The Japanese devices probably all have this hardware level. These are probably just reaching retail in other areas. We need the info from a Japanese device to see if this agrees with syber's.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #116
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:

albacore (1.9.14)
bowfin (1.9.16)
cod (1.9.17)
devario (2.0)
eel (2.02)

The version numbers skip but what appears to be alphabetically sequenced code names don't. This may indicate that those w/ code names in alphabetic order are "official" releases.

The download directory for 2.1.1 is "r green". It doesn't appear to be a fish name and is out of sequence.
Nice find! I've always wondered about the weird non-Kobo related names (not realising they were always fish) but never took the time to look at them together to see any link. Thanks for doing that
Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #117
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:

albacore (1.9.14)
bowfin (1.9.16)
cod (1.9.17)
devario (2.0)
eel (2.02)

Oh, heck - my ignorance is showing. I didn't know albacore and devario are fish ...! Well done, kumaryo - perhaps we can start a competition as to what the next release name will be
Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #118
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My guess is that the 2.1.1 firmware is for a particular hardware version. The Japanese devices probably all have this hardware level. These are probably just reaching retail in other areas. We need the info from a Japanese device to see if this agrees with syber's.
We do. Do you know of anyone regularly on the forums who is likely to have a Japanese model, and might help us? (You, being a guru, are likely to know).
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #119
kumaryu
Zealot

Not sure whether this has any relevance but, some time ago, I noted:

Quote:
I've been comparing the tech specs for KT from Rakuten and that available on Kobo site. The only h/w diffeence that I can see is the use of iMX507 on the Rakuten model as opposed to iMX508. As far as I can tell, the only difference between 507 and 508 is that the former lacks 2D acceleration.
also, tonyv reported the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv View Post
Hi
My Kobo touch (bought around may 2012) has an internal micro sd card and also uses imx.507 rather than imx.508 diff seems to be no openvg acceleration for 507.
Tony
This would indicate that there are models with different processors out there, not just in JP.

Since we can assume that the original models used iMX508, and the specs featuring iMX507 only appeared in 2012 (Spring), the change-over must have happened at some point between the oroginal release and JP launch.

Last edited by kumaryu; 09-13-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #120
kumaryu
Zealot

Quote:
We do. Do you know of anyone regularly on the forums who is likely to have a Japanese model, and might help us? (You, being a guru, are likely to know).
The gentleman who posted the download link to f/w 2.1.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakanataro View Post
kobo touch firmware v2.1.1 release in Japan.
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.1.1.zip
I sent him a message requesting his assistance,