Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Kindle Touch lighted cover - my thoughts

So my black lighted leather cover for the Kindle touch just arrived, here are some observations:

- The Kindle sits very securely in the molded pocket. Much better than the gold hinges on the K3 cover.

- The swing out light is much better than the K3 version. It fires down over the screen instead of bending on a stem at an awkward angle. When I read the K3 in the dark that light would shoot all over the place.

- The front cover is very thin. I don't mind as I don't expect it to stop a bullet...just protect the screen in my bookbag.

- The leather might as well be fake/plastic. it doesn't really feel like leather at all.

Overall, I prefer this to the K3 version because it gets rid of the hinge system and better positions the light even though the "leather" is not as nice as the K3 version. I prefer function over beauty
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
So these covers actually do exist? Thanks for the review!
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you for the review. The light looked like it was going to be an improvement. The security, weight and look are what I was interested in hearing more about.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Any pictures?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Any pictures?
Here ya go...never posted images here before, hope they come out.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 11-22-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The light doesn't seem to illuminate the whole page and leaves a spotlight effect on the Kindle. Is it just the pic? Does it have even lighting? On the pic it looks like a really bad glare.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The light doesn't seem to illuminate the whole page and leaves a spotlight effect on the Kindle. Is it just the pic? Does it have even lighting? On the pic it looks like a really bad glare.
It's an LED light that's on with the background light nearly equal. This is normal for LED lights. In the dark, it won't look anything like that, and will easily allow the whole screen to be read.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
It's an LED light that's on with the background light nearly equal. This is normal for LED lights. In the dark, it won't look anything like that, and will easily allow the whole screen to be read.
My Mighty bright is LED but it doesn't do spot lighting like that. I've seen a pic of it in the dark and it had the same effect. This is why I ask the OP because they own one and can say if it's just that way in the pic is or has some issues.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
My Mighty bright is LED but it doesn't do spot lighting like that. I've seen a pic of it in the dark and it had the same effect. This is why I ask the OP because they own one and can say if it's just that way in the pic is or has some issues.
Erm...I own one as well, and should have said so. The 'spot' you're seeing is simply the portion of the LED beam that's stronger than the background light -- there's much more light being thrown by the beam than you can see it the lighting conditions in those pictures. In the dark, the 'spot' is blended in with the rest of the beam, and is not nearly so prominent.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Erm...I own one as well, and should have said so. The 'spot' you're seeing is simply the portion of the LED beam that's stronger than the background light -- there's much more light being thrown by the beam than you can see it the lighting conditions in those pictures. In the dark, the 'spot' is blended in with the rest of the beam, and is not nearly so prominent.
Oh okay that's good to know then. Thanks, Would you say it compares to the expensive Solis light? Warm or cool tint? I wonder if was patterned after that.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Oh okay that's good to know then. Thanks, Would you say it compares to the expensive Solis light? Warm or cool tint? I wonder if was patterned after that.
I'm not familiar with that light, so I can't comment. This light is, however, better than the k3 lighted cover light. I'll try to take a pic in the dark when my son gets home with his fancy cell phone that has a cam :P
Old 11-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that light, so I can't comment. This light is, however, better than the k3 lighted cover light. I'll try to take a pic in the dark when my son gets home with his fancy cell phone that has a cam :P
Thanks I'm asking for friend who wants to get it but saw the pics and wanted to know more about it.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
mewmartigan
Guru

Yeah, it isn't as bad as the picture makes it look. I will get a "lights out" picture and try to post it.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
gweminence
Fat Guy

My single complaint about this case is the lack of a cord (which the k3 case had) to hold it open or closed.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
mewmartigan
Guru

Here is the best pic I could get. The hotspot really isn't there and the light doesn't really make the first few lines of text look faded. The light actually works very well and is pretty uniform across the screen. There is a small dropoff towards the bottom but not as bad as the angled K3 light IMHO.

The camera does not like a dark room with a bright light, haha.