Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Six Yr old reading at Grade 5 Level

We have a six year old grandson that has been an avid reader almost since he was able to talk. He's now about to complete his first year at school but was been assessed at the beginning of is school year as reading at a Grade 3 level and just recently has been reevaluated as a Grade 5 level. He's been reading what he calls "chapter books" for a year. We're coming to realize it's not just a matter of giving him just anything at all to read - we have to keep in mind that although his reading level is advanced, he still only has the maturity of a 6 yr old. In that light I'm wondering if it's too early to introduce him to children's classics like Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, etc. Any opinions as to appropriate reading material for a young person in his situation would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Does the child actually want adult advice on what to read?

If he's an avid reader like I was -- and I know everyone is different -- just take him to the library. Then he can pick out a dozen books and figure out which one or two he wants to finish.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I read Treasure Island before starting school and I was forced to use a dictionary on occasion, but can't see it being harmful. Hansel and Gretel gave me nightmares but I did enjoy reading it

I think it would be pretty hard to protect an avid reader from unsuitable content. Better perhaps to take an interest in their choices and if they make you nervous, make something more suitable but similar available.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
KrowNB
Enthusiast

Thank you for your advice. One problem is that he lives in a small community with no public library. He can borrow some books from his elementary school where his teacher does her best to find material for him. It's not so much finding books at his reading level but rather trying to ensure they are at his maturity level as well. Most of the books he has ready access to are ones purchased for him. We, his grandparents, live in another part of the country and we like to encourage his reading by sending him books for birthdays and other occasions. At one time it was Robert Munsch and similar types but he's progressed beyond that now. I had suggested on the telephone last evening that he should see if he can get a copy of Treasure Island (not really considering his age). As it was, he called back a bit later and said he had found that book in his own library at home - must have been given to him at one time. Anyway, we were just speaking to him and he says he read the first chapter of TI today. I'm thinking it must be within his reading ability if not otherwise suitable.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrowNB View Post
Thank you for your advice. One problem is that he lives in a small community with no public library. He can borrow some books from his elementary school where his teacher does her best to find material for him. It's not so much finding books at his reading level but rather trying to ensure they are at his maturity level as well. Most of the books he has ready access to are ones purchased for him. We, his grandparents, live in another part of the country and we like to encourage his reading by sending him books for birthdays and other occasions. At one time it was Robert Munsch and similar types but he's progressed beyond that now. I had suggested on the telephone last evening that he should see if he can get a copy of Treasure Island (not really considering his age). As it was, he called back a bit later and said he had found that book in his own library at home - must have been given to him at one time. Anyway, we were just speaking to him and he says he read the first chapter of TI today. I'm thinking it must be within his reading ability if not otherwise suitable.
Just a suggestion if you are willing to take the time and trouble to look into it and it is probably more than a bit cumbersome from a distance.

All Canadian communities AFAIK have access to a provincial library system where they can order paper books sent to them. Remote communities usually have a longer borrowing time limit.

Ebooks they generally have the same access as any other community but not always. Yukon has less ebooks but Yukon residents can get a BC library card and I believe NWT and Nunavut residents can use Alberta library system.

You could also try and get a card for him from your local library or ask your librarian if it would be okay if he used yours.

I have lived in several communities that only have an elementary school library in the last 15 years. Most of these libraries function as well as a community library with another, often larger, area holding non elementary school books and even children's books that were not purchased by the school system. The have all had the same access to interlibrary loans and nowadays ebooks as standalone municipal libraries. Perhaps there is more available than meets the eye but the librarian/teacher does not think he is able to use it where if he is reading at a grade 5 level he could well be more than able.

It is hard to look into these things from a distance though and one does not want to interfere unduly. I admire your initiative.

As to maturity, I may be not understanding the nuances, but I don't see a grade 5 book harming a 6 year old or even a grade 6 book. Worst case they would be bored or not understand and just not read the book. Children are exposed to far more than I was as a child and often I am amazed at how much the very young absorb from TV and the world at large.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
L. Frank Baum's Oz books may be a good fit for him.

I have to agree with Steve-- let him read whatever he is interested in.

I mean, obviously the adult books will get a pass, but many young adult books will be fine, and I'm betting he'll skip over any boring teen-oriented parts like kissing and stuff.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'd agree with the above. I read voraciously at that age - anything was good, children's, teens, adult, whatever - and I doubt it harmed me any. Some stuff was boring, so I just skipped those bits or those books.

Of course there was less explicitly "adult" stuff around when I was that age, and I'd agree there are things that are possibly "too adult" for a child of six, but basically anything that is aimed at / categorised as middle-school or younger YA range shouldn't be harmful. Whether it interests him or not is another matter, but action/adventure considered suitable for middle grade / 9-12 age group should likely be very fine.

Old classics such as Treasure Island (or lots of stuff by Jules Verne, depending on the quality of translations) should be fine, too, I'd think.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:16 AM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm also a proponent of "free range reading." When I was his age I discovered "young adult" science fiction, and couldn't get enough. Congrats to your grandson -- best wishes and happy reading to him and his family!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
YA these days includes an extremely wide range of material, much of which would be far too mature in content for a first-grader. I would be cautious in relying overmuch on the YA label.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Hobbit, obviously. That'll keep him busy

The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher

A bit advanced for six, but you say he's advanced. I think it would be fine for a seven year-old anyway. Nothing morally iffy in there. All good morally wholesome stuff. And don't read the prequel (When the Tripods Came) until after the others. I loved these books as a kid, and I still do.

Also, maybe...
Moonfleet by Falkner

A previously famous kids' book in the UK, it fell out of fashion because the heroes are smugglers. I think that's no big deal. Again, morally good stuff (apart from the smuggling, which is not massively emphasized). In terms of suitability for a 6 year-old, there's a bit of violence, but it's pretty tame. The prose is faux-18th century, so maybe he'll find that hard.

It's available here on mobileread: Moonfleet
Check it out. Great book.

You mention Treasure Island. IMO it is overrated. Moonfleet is way better.

And why not get him started on Arthur C. Clarke? It's adult, but it's not that hard. You can get the Collected Short Stories, which is a huge tome. I devoured those short stories when I was a kid. The City and the Stars is good, too. Asimov too. Try the Foundation trilogy, or The Caves of Steel. It's all simple, morally straight-forward stuff, with very little violence.

The Hunger Games is also an excellent book.

Last edited by Rizla; 06-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
KrowNB
Enthusiast

Thanks again everyone for imparting your wisdom here. I really appreciate all of your opinions and suggestions. We'll certainly keep it all in mind when purchasing reading material for him.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I would suggest anything by Roald Dahl (you could start with James and the Giant Peach, or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). At that age, I was reading them aloud to my daughter and she loved them. They have a lot of humor, great language, not too many scary parts.

I don't know how sensitive your grandson is to scary books (that was a major concern with my daughter) but you may also want to try the first Harry Potter. I see on the Scholastic site that it says 6th grade reading level, but some kids in my daughter's class were reading it by first or second grade.

Also, bear in mind that he doesn't ONLY have to read "hard" books. He can read 6-year-old books, too, he'll just get through them faster!

If he likes mysteries, he can try Encyclopedia Brown (higher reading level) or the A-Z Mysteries (much lower reading level, the first one is The Absent Author).

And for another classic series, try the Boxcar Children.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
He might enjoy the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis. There is plenty of classic SF from authors like Verne and Wells as well. Wind in the Willows might be one he'd like.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've been trying to remember what I read in elementary school, in addition to the books already mentioned.

I don't remember what reading level all of these books were, or how age-appropriate they would be for a six-year old, as I was older than that when I read them, and it's been a few decades....

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder - her "Farmer Boy" might appeal more to a boy. (Warning for easily scared kids - I had nightmares after reading Little House in the Big Woods when Pa tells the story of Grandpa being chased by a panther.)

The Adventure series by Enid Blyton

The Happy Hollisters - Jerry West

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

Beverly Cleary - various books

The Danny Dunn series - Jay Williams and Raymond Abrashkin

Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is Homer Price and the Dark is Rising series too. Not to mention Sherlock Holmes.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote