primbs began at the beginning.

More E Ink: Ricavision eReader for Vista is introduced

I came across this product recently.

http://www.ricavision.com/ricavision...e/ereader.html
primbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
More E Ink: Ricavision eReader for Vista is introduced

According to PaperGadgets, a new E Ink reading device has been introduced. It's the Home E-Reader for Windows Vista. (Warning... annoying web site!)

The company product brochure (pdf warning) says that "The Ricavision Home E-Reader is a small handheld portable device wirelessly connected to a PC running Windows Vista that functions as a normal enhanced device for Windows SideShow. The display is of the reflective eInk type, which is optimized for reading documents, so that reading is as comfortable with the Home E-Reader as it is from print on paper. The Ricavision Home E-Reader enables the user to cache a large number of pages, including entire books, on the device so it can also be used out of wireless range of the Windows Vista-based PC. The Home E-Reader also includes stylus capability. It uses SideShow as the primary GUI and Windows Vista as the means by which pages are actually rendered for display on the device."

There don't appear to be any indication of availability, detailed specs or pricing, so it's not clear if this is just a concept device or a concrete product coming soon.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Rumors have it that the production-ready unit will get out sometime during this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ricavision1.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	3550   Click image for larger version

Name:	ricavision2.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	3551  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For those of you who'd like to skip their website, here's the description of the product:

The Home E-Reader for Windows Vista
  1. The Home E-Reader is a small handheld portable Windows SideShow device that connects wirelessly to a Windows Vista PC. It combines the convenience of electronic documents with wireless access to Windows Vista. It has a reflective eInk type display that is optimized for reading documents so that reading with the Home E-Reader is as comfortable as it is on paper. It can cache a large number of pages on the device so that it can also be used offline. It also includes stylus capability.
  2. As small and lightweight as a single book, the Home E-Reader allows users to download and take along newspapers, books, and documents, or upload them to share with family, friends, or co-workers. In addition, the stylus capability enables the user to make notes that can be easily transferred to a PC. As electronics become more integrated into our contemporary lifestyle, a device like the Home E-Reader may become essential to access the computers with the ease of ordinary pen and paper. For personal or professional use, the Home E-Reader can add significant value to Windows Vista experience.
  3. The Home E-Reader uses the SideShow as the primary GUI and Windows Vista as the means by which pages are actually rendered for display on the device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
So does the Vista SideShow feature imply that I actually need Windows Vista to render content on an e-reader device? Kinda defeats the purpose, wouldn't you say?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
So does the Vista SideShow feature imply that I actually need Windows Vista to render content on an e-reader device? Kinda defeats the purpose, wouldn't you say?
I don't really think that they designed this device as a real reader: all of their products are based on Vista Sideshow, and they just made one that would work on e-ink (nice for the eyes when you have to do a lot of reading).

I haven't tried Vista yet, but for some applications, this might be worth it. If any app can easily communicate with this device using Sideshow, it could be a nice way to export some data, and read them on the device (read your mails for example, keep your agenda with you etc...). Not related to e-books, but after all, we do a lot more reading than just e-books.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Yes I think it implies that.
As far as I understand it it's basicly a second display that's wirelessly connected to the host machine; that could be a desktop PC or a laptop.
I wouldn't say it necessarily kills the purpose.
could be good for reading at home or at the office.
I always thought that the ebook reader would be a good slave screen for an iPod or a similar handheld.
Maybe this thing will work with a Visa based handheld one day...

they also say that it can cahe pages that are already rendered, so you can take it offline... I'm not sure how much functionality this device will give you with those cached pages. e.g. can you search, can you bookmark etc.

They also say you can write notes and such with the Stylus. That's neat!
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
As far as I understand it it's basicly a second display that's wirelessly connected to the host machine; that could be a desktop PC or a laptop.
I wouldn't say it necessarily kills the purpose.
could be good for reading at home or at the office.
I always thought that the ebook reader would be a good slave screen for an iPod or a similar handheld.
Ahh thanks, now I understand better. So if you have a Vista desktop that's somewhere constantly running in your home, this feature could make sense. Of course you can also hook up an iRex iLiad device through wireless with your home computer.

The question is: what will Vista Sideshow do better? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Ahh thanks, now I understand better. So if you have a Vista desktop that's somewhere constantly running in your home, this feature could make sense. Of course you can also hook up an iRex iLiad device through wireless with your home computer.

The question is: what will Vista Sideshow do better? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Vista Sideshow must be part of the Windows API now: this means that a large number of applications should support this. You can hook up your iLiad too, but for much different purposes: mostly grabbing files, surfing the net using your iLiad etc... Vista Sideshow enables apps on your desktop to send informations to any Sideshow enable device: a phone, another screen, a remote controller, an UMPC, this e-ink reader etc... That's 2 completely different uses of the wireless connection.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I actually think that this is a bloody stupid idea...sorry...

Having a reader that can store books is cool. Having a device that constantly needs to connect to your home-Pc (or server) to display information is...abominable.
I would not mind this kind of feature for an ereader device, it might be cool for news and emails, but advertising it as a "main feature" seems rather comical to me.
Just imagine what kind of battery-life you can expect with WiFi running all the time???
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I actually think that this is a bloody stupid idea...sorry...

Having a reader that can store books is cool. Having a device that constantly needs to connect to your home-Pc (or server) to display information is...abominable.
I would not mind this kind of feature for an ereader device, it might be cool for news and emails, but advertising it as a "main feature" seems rather comical to me.
Just imagine what kind of battery-life you can expect with WiFi running all the time???
True, the battery must be horrible. But I believe that they made this in order to read something on your couch, in this case, battery doesn't matter that much ;-)
Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Ricavision - WinVista

It requires *VISTA*! That is a deal-killer right there for me! I've been loyal to Windows (slogged through being an unpaid and unappreciated alpha-tester - that's what customers *ARE* to Microsoft!) since Win3.1. I've had enough! At XP I make my stand! If Ricavision's device can't work under XP, Linux or Mac it will *NEVER* get one dime from me!

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
True, the battery must be horrible. But I believe that they made this in order to read something on your couch, in this case, battery doesn't matter that much ;-)
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:32 AM   #13
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Can you please elaborate on how the iRex Iliad can be used as a slave screen?
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Considering their sideshow remote control is using Bluetooth, it's possible the reader device thingy does too. And that makes for a rather low energy consumption.

Anyway, i think people are missing the point here... This is not an ebook reader meant to be carried around and used as a portable book. It's a remote display that's comfortable to read and should be used at home exclusively.

For example, you get up in the morning and instead of going to your desktop, you grab the reader with you and read your e-mails and favourite news while making/drinking a morning cup of coffee (or tea). Or, you go to do some work (or study) and instead of sitting by your PC or printing the reference you'll need, you just beam it to the device and take it wherever you feel comfortable. Etc., etc.

Bear in mind it's name is *Home* E-Reader, not Portable-Do-It-All-Battery-Lasts-For-Ages-Ebook-Reader. Besides, it's probably meant to sit in a cradle when not in use...

Last edited by orcinus; 05-18-2007 at 07:57 AM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:33 AM   #15
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus
Considering their sideshow remote control is using Bluetooth, it's possible the reader device thingy does too. And that makes for a rather low energy consumption.
HaHaHaHa.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote