Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My Paperwhite arrived today

and, as far as I can tell, the screen is flawless. No hotspots or color blooms, at least not yet. I only spent as long on it as needed to get it hooked up to house wifi, and it's charging as I type.

The spotlight effect is faint but noticeable along the bottom of the screen, but I don't imagine that it will annoy me as I get used to it - it only goes up a line or so onto the screen itself.

It was a bit of a challenge getting the house wifi password entered (oops, that's a B, not an 8!), but I was impressed at the touch screen sensitivity - not too much, not too little, and the virtual keyboard had the keys nicely sized for my fingers.

I won't be able (well, won't be willing) to take it out of the house until the case I ordered for it arrives - I'd be worried about damaging the screen if I toss it into my purse unprotected.

But I'm so excited! First thing I do, before I load any books on it even, is to play with fonts...
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Glad you're happy! Enjoy it!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
But I'm so excited! First thing I do, before I load any books on it even, is to play with fonts...
That's me I love fonts. Congrats on your PW but there is no need to charge it. They come pre charge usually a little under half way. That charge lasted me 24 hours of reading time.

What case did you get?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ordered one from eBay, in what looks to be a rich brown. My artistic daughter is going to steam-punk it up (I have no idea what she has in mind, but I'm sure it will be lovely - she is incapable of doing anything ugly).

Just a few more notes:

Compared to my k3, the screen is the same gray as the K3, neither darker nor lighter. When the light is on, it's clearly much whiter than the K3. I currently have the light at about 19, in a dim room with a work light on for my computer. I've got the font set at Palatino, third setting from the left, but I'm still playing with fonts and the display.

I can't get over how much smaller and lighter it is than my k3 in the official lighted case. I know when I get a case for it, it will be a bit heavier than currently, but I hope it will still be lighter than the k3 and case.

I've already downloaded Notepad Plus for it, and found where the data files are stored, so when I make the final move from the k3 to the PW, I can transfer over my"books read" lists.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 01-15-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: afterthoughts
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Thanks for the review of the Paperwhite BeccaPrice. I can't wait til I'm able to start playing round with my new one.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Enjoy your new Paperwhite, Becca!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Happy for you that you like it. Guess you are not on the fence no more.

I got me Notepad Plus as well yesterday, but not too impressed yet. Would have been nice if you could highlight something in a book and then paste it into a note. Or open myclipings file with it. At least have not found it yet. Meh, not going to be too upset about the 99 cent it cost.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I just use Notepad Plus to keep track of the books I read. Yeah, it would be nice to be able to copy text into it from a book - I hadn't thought about trying that. Pity it doesn't work.

I have to wait til I finish my current book on my k3 before I transfer over to the PW. My big question now is... what do I do with my beloved k3? I hate to just put it in a drawer somewhere with the rest of my not-being-used electronics.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Congrats! It's quite a specimen! I love mine, it's my first Kindle, I'm a Nook Convert after 3-4 years of pure Nook!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Congratulations!
I also got my PW yesterday and I am extremely happy! Flawless screen (or I am colour insensitive, which doesn't matter, since all I see is perfect screen), perfect books, I love reading on it After Kindle KB it seems to me heavier, but I don't mind it at all. And also don't know what to do with my KB, but wouldn't like to gift it either, I'd like to keep it just in case, though I don't know how will it react now when I start neglecting it
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Kindle Paperwhite is a wonderful ebook reader.

You'll get a kick out of it, especially when your cover arrives.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Speaking of fonts, I think Blossom mentioned once it is very easy to add new fonts to the PW and to the Touch. And it doesn't require rooting the device.

Can someone explain exactly how that is done and whether it still works with the latest OS releases on the PW and Touch.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Speaking of fonts, I think Blossom mentioned once it is very easy to add new fonts to the PW and to the Touch. And it doesn't require rooting the device.

Can someone explain exactly how that is done and whether it still works with the latest OS releases on the PW and Touch.
See the PW font thread You will find everything in there on how to do it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Thanks Blossom -- It worked like a charm. I added my favorite font, Comic sans MS (the font many love to hate).

Thanks again --
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
My big question now is... what do I do with my beloved k3? I hate to just put it in a drawer somewhere with the rest of my not-being-used electronics.
If you don't want to keep it, this is a good program.

http://ebooksfortroops.org/donate-a-kindle/
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote