Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes...." [Series]

I just now noticed this series.

Here's a link to the series, written at different times and by different authors:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...olmes%20kindle

I like the uniform covers, but was wondering if the series is something that's worth acquiring. (I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes and the different incarnations that are out there.)

Any advice, suggestions, helpful hints, bricks or bats?

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I've read a few in this series via my library's ebook program. Here are the links to some of my old reviews of them in the What Are You Reading? thread.

The best of the ones that I recorded were (rated above 7/10 on my annual reading list):

The Ectoplasmic Man by Daniel Stashower (8)
The Stalwart Companions by H. Paul Jeffers (7.5)

Also seemed pretty decent but not standout (rated at 7/10):

Séance for a Vampire by Fred Saberhagen (this is a sequel to his The Holmes-Dracula File (6.5/10) which is available from a different publisher. I got a paperback reprint out of my library to read it after, IIRC)
The War of the Worlds by Manly Wade Wellman and Wade Wellman, his father

Not so good (6.5/10):

The Veiled Detective by David Stuart Davies

IIRC, these are all reprints of vintage Sherlock Holmes mashup pastiches from the 60s-80s, so you can probably also look up old reviews of a lot of them on classic Sherlockiana fan sites.

Also, if you're looking for the really good Sherlock mashups and haven't read them already, IMHO, Nicholas Meyer's (of Star Trek director fame) three books, The Seven Per-Cent Solution (Sigmund Freud! and a swordfight on a train!), The Canary Trainer (The Phantom of the Opera!), and The West End Horror (George Bernard Shaw!) are the very best. I had to find the last two in the used bookstore, though, as I think they were between printings when I first read them.

P.S. Sherlock Holmes in America anthology edited by Martin H. Greenberg containing newly-written stories by many award-nominated mystery/crime authors and a few essays about Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes' relationships with America is available from Skyhorse Publishing @ Kobo for just 99 cents and couponable (at least in Canada), if anyone's interested.

P.P.S. Here's a modified search link which shows just the 20 books in The Further Adventures series which are specifically republished by Orbit's Titan Books imprint.

Last edited by ATDrake; 09-11-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Filter out all the non-series other Holmes-related books. And close parentheses.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for that detailed list. Very much appreciated.

Here's another link: I love these covers on these. Very beautiful.

http://titanbooks.com/brands/sherlock-holmes/

ADDED:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...es_Titan_Books

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I read the Loren Estleman books years ago. They were good but I had mixed feelings about them since the typical Holmes story would have him debunking any supernatural element.

I bought Newman's Hound of the D'Ubervilles after reading his Anno Dracula but have yet to read it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'm just going to add that the Titan Books "Further Adventures" aegis reprints seem to all be couponable via Kobo (in Canada, at least; I just checked with a test of Philip José Farmer's The Peerless Peer in the cart), and a couple of them are already pre-discounted to half-off the regular price.

Linkage for the lot.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I'm just going to add that the Titan Books "Further Adventures" aegis reprints seem to all be couponable via Kobo (in Canada, at least; I just checked with a test of Philip José Farmer's The Peerless Peer in the cart), and a couple of them are already pre-discounted to half-off the regular price.

Linkage for the lot.

That's good news.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:26 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've read the Dracula one and the one featuring Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde as well as "The Seven % solution" and "The West End Horror" and enjoyed them all. I have p copies of the last two and was fortunate to borrow the other two at different times from my local public library.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I began over a year ago, to create a database of all the Sherlock Holmes pastiches and related works available. I more or less gave up somewhere near 800 and counting with new works appearing. Obviously, I have not read all of them and many are hard to find. And when I run across one not in my list, I add it, but I gave up actively seeking to update the list. So much of it is not very well written.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
I began over a year ago, to create a database of all the Sherlock Holmes pastiches and related works available. I more or less gave up somewhere near 800 and counting with new works appearing. Obviously, I have not read all of them and many are hard to find. And when I run across one not in my list, I add it, but I gave up actively seeking to update the list. So much of it is not very well written.

That would still be a useful thing to share!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I would be happy to send you a copy, which is in Microsoft Excel (spreadsheet) format. I wonder if others have attempted to keep up with the deluge of authors using Holmes as an attraction. My list also includes a few other related works such as Watson, Moriarty, and a few of the pseudo-Holmes detectives that were re-named to prevent copyright infringement or conflict with the Doyle estate. I was a long way from having it up to date and finally just ran out of time to keep up with it.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I would be happy to send you a copy, which is in Microsoft Excel (spreadsheet) format. I wonder if others have attempted to keep up with the deluge of authors using Holmes as an attraction. My list also includes a few other related works such as Watson, Moriarty, and a few of the pseudo-Holmes detectives that were re-named to prevent copyright infringement or conflict with the Doyle estate. I was a long way from having it up to date and finally just ran out of time to keep up with it.

Please PM me.

Thank you.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Sounds like an interesting and useful list mldavis2.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've read the Dracula one and the one featuring Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde as well as "The Seven % solution" and "The West End Horror" and enjoyed them all. I have p copies of the last two and was fortunate to borrow the other two at different times from my local public library.
I particularly enjoyed the ones written by Fred Saberhagen.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote