Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #106
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
We can adjust the original 0-65 table to 6-bit 0-64 by subtracting one from all values > 32, which would give two 32 cutoff values. This would discard a 50% dither pattern from the center of the table, but the result would be much easier pixel value range scaling.

I suggest that we discard the pure 50% checkerboard, and use that as a "special" pattern created with different function. It LOOKS like pure gray because the pixels are too small to see with the naked eye. I have used 50% checkerboard gray in some of my buttons for drop shadows. It makes a nice addition or pure black and white for area fills, when you want to avoid that "looks bad in black and white" problem you can have with full dithering.

As I said all along, dithering is for the ANIMATED portions of the display, and the static portions can be full grayscale antialiased text and images. I think that this should be used in this VNC viewer too, with area motion detection for changing moving areas of the display content to dithered, leaving unchanging areas as full grayscale. By the way, on the touch, when I used my palpump demo using real gray byte values 0-255 instead of dithering, I only get 16 shades of gray (truncated values, not rounded, so only value 255 is white). That means the 8-bit colors are for ease of use, but are really still just 16-colors. You need to dither down from 256 to 16 colors to see a good image, so that must be what eips uses to display PNG images. I may need to adapt my dither function for dithering 256 colors down to 16-colors out of necessity for the touch.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #107
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi,

This is exact what I did in the afternoon. But I replace all values < 4 with 4, and all values > 59 with 59. Sorry I was not more specific.

This made everything < 4 brightness completely black, and > 59 brightness completely white.

However, I think this is NOT the best result. Because after all black, it is black with 4 intensity.

I think a better way is to scale first, so the brightness values goes instead of 0~63 to -3~67. Then use the same dither table. This will make a smooth transition from all black to linear to all white.

Schematically, it is like this
Code:
A) original
     /
    /
   /
  /
 /
B) Cutoff (modify the dither table)
     __
     |
     /
    /
   /
__|
C) Scaling
       __
      /
     /
    /
   /
__/
Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #108
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
I think a better way is to scale first, so the brightness values goes instead of 0~63 to -3~67. Then use the same dither table. This will make a smooth transition from all black to linear to all white.
Agreed, but a proper S-curve might be better than linear rescaling. I rescaled mine to 0-255, so I can display 8-bit images without rescaling pixel values. Unfortunately, I discovered that on the K5(touch), 8-bit values are truncated to 16 colors (without rounding). So we need to dither 256 colors down to the actual 16 colors that it DOES display, similar to how I am dithering 65 colors down to 2 colors (black and white). Or, we could just use eips to display a PNG file and let it do the dithering for us.

It appears that kindle apps that display images must be dithering them from 256 color down to 16 colors when shown on eink, so we need to do the same, and I can adapt my "geekmaster formula 42" to support this. It is just a matter of time, and there is never enough of that.

EDIT: I just realized that my formula as published relied on bit 8 being a sign bit, so I had to change 128 to 256 in four places in the formula, and now it works correctly with my range 0-255 8x8 dither table. That will mean no pixel conversion step going from 8-bit gray to dithered black and white. Nice!

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-20-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #109
geekmaster

@jmseight: Thanks for prodding me to package up tcc with all it needs. It is so easy to install that I have it on all my kindles now and it sure makes for a quick develop and test cycle in an SSH session. Nice!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 AM   #110
geekmaster

UPDATE: A "-1" was added to the formula so that the pure blacks and whites are now balanced in a color table display for the K3 also. The previous version had less blacks and more whites on 4-bit displays. All better now.

Here is a nice 8x8 dithered set pixel function for color values 0-255:
PHP Code:
//========================================
// setpx - draw pixel using ordered dither
// x,y:screen coordinates, c:color(0-255).
// (This works on all eink kindle models.)
//----------------------------------------
inline void setpx(int x,int y,int c) {
    static 
int dt[64] = {

30,156,54,180,22,148,251,125,219,93,243,117,211,85 }; // 0-255 dither table

fb0[pb*x/8+fs*y]=((256&(c-dt[(7&x)+8*(7&y)]-1))/256*(blk&(240*(1&~x)|

15*(1&x)|fb0[pb*x/8+fs*y])))|((256&(dt[(7&x)+8*(7&y)]-c))/256*wht|
        (
blk&((240*(1&x)|15*(1&~x))&fb0[pb*x/8+fs*y]))); // geekmaster formula 42

This has a balanced number of pure blacks and pure whites at each end of the table. This is all we need because the human eye cannot distinguish more than 64 shades of gray, and this table spreads 65 shades of gray evenly over a 0-255 range of color values. I plan to use this to support live video.

EDIT: I just wrote a program that uses the code above to convert all the pixels already in the framebuffer to dithered black and white. In an SSH session I run the program after turning the kindle on and off to get a fresh screensaver image, then run my framebuffer ditherer program, then use dd to snapshot the framebuffer. Other than a quick flash while it rewrites over gray pixels, I have to look close to see that it acually IS dithered. For most of these images, at arms length they look the same. Nice.

I did screenshots of converted images, but LCD displays are normally adjusted for about 2.2 gamma, while the kindles to 1.0 gamma. I need to gamma-correct the 256-color values BEFORE dithering to make them look good on the display. You cannot gamma-correct a 2-color image. So showing gamma 1.0 screenshots does not do these gamma 1.0 images justice -- you REALLY need to view them on the kindle. But anyway, here are a couple of the converted images:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

And here is one that I downloaded, then displayed with "eips", dithered with the dither table shown above, and saved with "dd" (the original was rather washed-out, and small, so I stretched it and reduced the gamma a little before copying it to the kindle):

Spoiler:

Remember, these dithered images look MUCH better on the kindle (at arm length away) because it has the 1.0 gamma that these images were dithered for. Also, for MOVING images, your eye follows the movement and averages out the dither patterns, so it is much less annoying than in static images like these.

Enjoy!

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-20-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #111
geekmaster

Even with my kindle reader font set to its smallest, after dithering the framebuffer, it is still quite readable, and at arm-length you cannot see the difference. It would be a nice option for the PDF reader, and certainly usable for VNC even IF you dither the text. But of course, you really only need to dither the moving parts of the screen.

I have been testing this with a tcc-compiled version of the dither program. I will now cross-compile it to run faster, and then attach it to this post. You can test it from SSH (hint: press up-arrow and enter to repeat), while using the kindle framework to display various menus, images and book pages.

UPDATE: The program mentioned above only worked for K4 and newer because it was reading pixel bytes directly from the framebuffer. That does not work for 2bit/pixel kindles like the K3. I now have a "geekmaster formula 69" universal getpx function that returns a pixel value 0-255 from the framebuffer for any x,y coordinate position on any kindle. I am having problems on K3, where I cannot get both solid black and solid white. I am trying to figure out how to stretch and center the range in that formula. Figuring out these formulas needed for branch-free code is a non-trivial task.

I will post the framebuffer dithering program with it works on all kindle models.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-20-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #112
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi,

I tried to download the pictures into my Kindle - looks pretty good.

For motion images, I am thinking it would be better to randomize the dither table from frame to frame. That way, the places that are more likely to be black will shift form frame to frame and make a more continuous image.

Can you take your code and make it play some video or motion JPEG?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #113
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Hi,

I tried to download the pictures into my Kindle - looks pretty good.

For motion images, I am thinking it would be better to randomize the dither table from frame to frame. That way, the places that are more likely to be black will shift form frame to frame and make a more continuous image.

Can you take your code and make it play some video or motion JPEG?

Thanks,
James
Rather than "randomizing", you could "shuffle" the order of the existing values. That is called temporal dithering, and it looks HORRIBLE on the kindle, besides consuming a lot of extra battery. The extra pixel changes cause the eink display drivers to fall back into deferred mode, which is not nice for animation. Besides the extra pixel changes, there is other overhead. I was using random dither originally, with a different random seed value for each frame. Although it looked great (but "sparkly") for fine gray details on objects that were not moving, moving objects left a trail of ghost images that oscillated between too dark and too light, and took about 2 seconds to fade (an artifact of the display drivers). There were other ugly artifacts trailing sharp corners on moving objects as well.

Ordered dithers are MUCH better for animation on low power devices like this.

I plan to port VLC, using the "geekmaster formula 42" dither.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-20-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #114
geekmaster

Here is a "paldemo" 0-255 palette display program that uses the new "geekmaster formula 42" version that balances the number of pure blacks and whites in the palette, for all kindles:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2050759

FYI, the display palette onscreen size is adjustable. In the example, palette(550) is used for a 550x500 pixel palette.

EDIT: Be sure to read the text about display gamma in the screenshot spoiler at the above link. This is especially important for converting desktop display images to kindle eink images, like VNC needs to do. I just updated that "display gamma" information, so if you already read it before the "last edited" timestamp on this post, please go back and read it again.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-20-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #115
geekmaster

Check out my gamma tutorial in the paldemo post of the "geekmaster formula 42" thread (link in my previous post above). I added a screenshot using my new "lcd gamma" dither table. I did gamma compensation by lowering all threshold values with "pow(dt[c], 1/2.2);", which gives a lot more darks and less brights. The palette screenshot looks almost all black on the kindle eink, but about 50% gray average (viewed at a distance) on an lcd display.

I plan to use the "lcd dither table" to make screenshots of dithered screens. Compare the two different gamma screenshots between the lcd and the kindle eink. The top one looks like average 50% gray on the kindle, but the bottom one looks like averat 50% gray on lcd or crt displays.

If you do dithering for VNC, we need ANOTHER dither table that uses "pow(dt[c],2.2)", to compensate the other direction.

Fun stuff, huh?

EDIT: To use pow(), I added "#include <math.h>", and I compiled with "tccmake paldemo2 -lm", to link in the math library.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-20-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #116
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I plan to port VLC, using the "geekmaster formula 42" dither.
Hmm... complications:
Code:
[root@kindle bin]# ./vlc
VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
you can use ./vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root first and
cannot be run by non-trusted users first).
[root@kindle bin]#
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #117
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Hi! First of all thanks a lot four this useful solution. I am a writter and its really great to be able to use an E-ink scree for writting, much better for my eyes.

I almost acomplish to get it right, however i can only see half of the computer's screen in my kindle 3 keyboard as i show in the picture below:

Any idea??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by diegoocampo; 05-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #118
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, I think porting rdesktop will get around this :-) To be honest: I don't think there is an ideal solution for Windows 7 yet, except setting your main display to 800x600 resolution. On Linux, we can create a new virtual desktop easily, however I don't know of easy solutions to the problem in Windows. There are various hacks however, like making Windows believe that there is a second (virtual or real) hardware display of size 800x600 and then providing this via VNC. In the mean time, you can just resize your windows.... however, this is probably too flaky in practice.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #119
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
I fixed it! It was nothing, just that i had two monitors connected to my pc and somehow it broke it. With only my laptop plus my kindle 3 connected is working (and yes, i have to resize my desktop to 800x600 but is not a big deal). Also, in windows 7 , with Shit + Alt + Print Screen its quickly switching to high contrast theme which makes everything a little bit more readable.

Is there any way to speed up a little bit the speed the screen syncs with the pc screen?? I mean, i know the e-ink display has low refresh rate, but probably there is a delay due to transmision from pc to kindle. (its still enought speed for my writting purposes though).
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #120
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Hmm... complications
Hmm... this excites me sooo much, because I've been trying to port VLC too but without any success. Please do update us with this, Great Master.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc