Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Neanderthals Were Nifty at Controlling Fire

Neanderthals Were Nifty at Controlling Fire

ScienceDaily (Mar. 15, 2011) — A new study involving the University of Colorado Boulder shows clear evidence of the continuous control of fire by Neanderthals in Europe dating back roughly 400,000 years, yet another indication that they weren't dimwitted brutes as often portrayed.

The conclusion comes from the study of scores of ancient archaeological research sites in Europe that show convincing evidence of long-term fire control by Neanderthals, said Paola Villa, a curator at the University of Colorado Museum of Natural History. Villa co-authored a paper on the new study with Professor Wil Roebroeks of Leiden University in the Netherlands......

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0314152917.htm
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I still can't fathom those time scales. I think it's a long time since Galileo came up with a few good ideas but half a million and a million years ago? It's just too long ago. So will we evolve into neanderthals in a half million years and be living in caves or zooming around the universe bending space with our minds?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's even harder is to comprehend a billion years....I keep trying and trying....the Earth has been around about 4.6 billion years life for maybe 3-4 billion.....

4.6 billion inches is about 3 times around the Earth.

A billion inches is about 2/3 of the way around the earth

500,000 inches(years) is only 8 miles

Last edited by kennyc; 03-15-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That explains it. I travel 8 miles to work and they treat me like a Neanderthal.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
That explains it. I travel 8 miles to work and they treat me like a Neanderthal.
I knew we had something in common.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just a few years ago, the majority of scientists seemed pretty well convinced that neanderthals and humans didn't interbreed. Then came the recent genome decoding of neanderthal DNA and the whole picture has changed.

I could have told them that years ago. I had this one shop teacher in high school that looked like he stepped out of a textbook on neanderthals. If you'd taken off his suit and put him in some animal skins and given him a club, he'd have been fit for a Smithsonian exhibit.

Nice guy, though. He only looked like a neanderthal. We behaved liked them.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I had this one shop teacher in high school that looked like he stepped out of a textbook on neanderthals.
Oh yeah! I can relate to that. Back in primary school (year 4) we had a picture in a text book on neanderthals and when I pointed out the similarity between the picture in the book and one of our class students . . . wow! didn't I get into trouble.

However, being just 10, it was an innocent remark. He just looked like the picture. That's when I learned to think before speaking.

"Better to say nothing and look like a fool than to open your mouth and leave no doubt."
- Solomon - Proverbs