Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
lazy_hoor
lazy_hoor began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Charging and battery life, PRS-300

Hello everyone, this is my first post!

I got the PRS 300 for Christmas and had to return it last week because it froze on the 'Opening Book' screen. It was still at full power after a week of use. I've got a replacement and I charged it through the usb overnight as I don't have a mains charger yet. I noticed that it lost two bars of power yesterday and wondered was this unusual? I thought the battery lasted around three weeks?

Also wondering is it ok to charge it before the battery runs out - I heard that with mobile phones you're not meant to charge them too much if there's power still in them and thought it might be the case with this sort of device?
lazy_hoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It takes a few charge/discharge cycles for the battery meter to properly calibrate itself, so it will be unreliable at first.

It's perfectly OK to "top up" the battery, but the fastest way to calibrate the battery meter is to use the Reader until you get the "Low Battery" warning, before recharging it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
lazy_hoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It takes a few charge/discharge cycles for the battery meter to properly calibrate itself, so it will be unreliable at first.

It's perfectly OK to "top up" the battery, but the fastest way to calibrate the battery meter is to use the Reader until you get the "Low Battery" warning, before recharging it.
That's good to know. The instruction booklet isn't exactly a mine of information!

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Apart from when I first took it out of it's box and hadn't yet plugged it into the laptop I've yet to see mine claim anything other than full charge. Just left it plugged into the USB for a while initially to charge it, but since then it's only plugged in for a few minutes at a time and just those shorts bursts of charge seem to be keeping it fully topped up.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
When you left it plugged into USB overnight, was the pc on? Otherwise if the pc goes to sleep or is off, it will actually drain power through the USB charge rather than the other way round - unless that has been changed since the PRS505, which definitely does this.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
When you left it plugged into USB overnight, was the pc on? Otherwise if the pc goes to sleep or is off, it will actually drain power through the USB charge rather than the other way round - unless that has been changed since the PRS505, which definitely does this.
Pay attention to this advice! I think this is one of the major problems people have with the Sony readers. It will ONLY charge on USB if and only if it is plugged into a Computer. The computer must be on and active. Otherwise as suecsi says, it will actually discharge the reader. Also, the reader can have a screen showing, but actually be off. This is something to do with the eInk technology (I'm clueless as to what) but it can fool you. In other words it can say "loading book" or whatever... but actually be drained and off. And the screen can show a full battery, but be the fake screen. Of course, during all this the perception of the user is that it is "frozen".....

I could not trust my laptop to consistently charge it, so I got the PSP charger (make sure to get the one that uses the round plug on your reader) and now have confidence in the charging.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
I used to have a USB cable that split into a PSP power connector and a mini USB. I'd guess that would allow charging from a USB wall socket rather than needing a powered on USB host device, just use the PSP power connector part rather than the mini USB connector to do the charging.

Not sure where I left it now as it's been ages since I used the PSP, will have to have a bit of a dig around and see if I can find it again now.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideog View Post
I used to have a USB cable that split into a PSP power connector and a mini USB. I'd guess that would allow charging from a USB wall socket rather than needing a powered on USB host device, just use the PSP power connector part rather than the mini USB connector to do the charging.
Yes, that will work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader
Pripyat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 Silver
Just a question readerz!

Since i got my prs300 i not used until i got the "low battery" warning. I got one bar on the battery meter now,so is gonna be another "step" when the battery level is completly empty and i can use the reader for a while,or im gonna get the low battery warning soon when i still got one bar on the battery meter?
Pripyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

It has been my experience that when you reach the last bar, you need to charge. As is often with battery meters and fuel gauges they can take forever to drop the first 1/4 then its pretty normal, but the last one goes fast.

I would just plug it in as soon as it has only one bar left.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Pripyat
Beginner E-Book Reader
Pripyat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 Silver
Thanks for the advise,i gonna wait the low power warning,and after i put on to charge.
Pripyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 AM   #12
lazy_hoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Yep the PC is on when I charge it!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy_hoor View Post
Yep the PC is on when I charge it!
To be sure you understand.... the computer not only has to be ON it must not go in hibernation or sleep mode. If it goes into hibernation or sleep mode it will in fact discharge and not charge....

Battery life depends of course how much you use the reader. It would be possible to loose 2 bars in one day, but I would say highly unlikely with "normal" use.

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 01-15-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
lazy_hoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
To be sure you understand.... the computer not only has to be ON it must not go in hibernation or sleep mode. If it goes into hibernation or sleep mode it will in fact discharge and not charge....

Battery life depends of course how much you use the reader. It would be possible to loose 2 bars in one day, but I would say highly unlikely with "normal" use.
Ah I see. Yeah, my computer doesn't go into sleep mode. Actually, I must double-check this!

I was off work for a couple of days due to snow (I live in Ireland and 3cm means the country grinds to a halt) so I did a lot of reading!