Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
More e-paper promises...

This time we might really be onto something. Not too many details yet, but apparently Siemens has caused a stir at the Plastics Electronics trade fair by introducing a new low-cost electronic paper display.

"Siemens spokesman Norbert Aschenbrenner claimed the new screens, which are literally paper thin, can do everything a regular TV screen or computer monitor can do, but cost a fraction of the price."

"The firm says the low production costs could see the magazine shelves in newsagents come alive with moving images vying for the customers' attention as they move along the aisle."

"The Siemens spokesman said that one square metre of the material costs around £30, and scientists working on the screens said they should be available by 2007."

But if they were high resolution, low power, fast and bright would they really be focusing only on magazines, signs and newspapers? If I could control such a technology, I'd try very hard to roll it out to replace computer monitors, build displays into desk surfaces, create 200" televisions, make roll-up pda displays, etc. It will be interesting to hear more about the good and the bad. Anyone have a good link to share more details with us?

For now, you can read more here.

(via Slashdot)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
But if they were high resolution, low power, fast and bright would they really be focusing only on magazines, signs and newspapers? If I could control such a technology, I'd try very hard to roll it out to replace computer monitors, build displays into desk surfaces, create 200" televisions, make roll-up pda displays, etc. It will be interesting to hear more about the good and the bad.
I'm betting it would be hard to use for monitors, TVs, and especially PDAs... We know nothing of how sturdy it is, or how long it's lifetime is. Do you want to buy a monitor every year or less? Even if it's relatively cheap, I'd rather get a nice LCD screen and have it last for years and years.

And for a PDA, in addition to the lifetime issue, would they be able to make it into a touch-screen, or would that be problematic because of the fact that it bends like paper? The ideas they have seem to focus on generally disposable things, which would make sense if it didn't last that long.

And then, there's also the minor issue about environmental pollution if it's supposed to be disposable, and not last that long - exactly what is it made of, and will it harm the environment?
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
If this is a competitor to E-ink, I think this is great news as the competition will hopefully drive products to market sooner rather than later.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
I'm betting it would be hard to use for monitors, TVs, and especially PDAs... We know nothing of how sturdy it is, or how long it's lifetime is. Do you want to buy a monitor every year or less? Even if it's relatively cheap, I'd rather get a nice LCD screen and have it last for years and years.
You're absolutely right. A high-quality monitor will outlast any computer you ever hook it up to.

We really won't know about potential applications until we know a) what it will cost when used in quantity, and b) what the speed of display updates is like. If its anything like we've been told the Libre is like, you wouldn't want to play video games on it.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Can't be sure, but the caracteristics sure remind me of the epaper from plastic logic...
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert