Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Lost Kindle

So my husband came home from work today and told me he lost his Kindle. He thinks he put it in his bag before he got off the train. So either he accidentally left it on the train or it got stolen out of his bag at work, which is a dreadful thought. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had experience with a lost Kindle. Nobody has tried to buy anything so far. If there are no purchases this weekend, I'm going to wait until he goes back to work on Monday. Maybe he left it somewhere there and someone else picked it up. He did have a particularly hectic day. At that point I'm going to contact Amazon CS. I don't want to deregister because that would allow someone to register it. I would like to block it from my account at that point and hope that they would notify me if someone tried to register it. Anyone with experience out there?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Someone on the KindleBoard reported they had lost a Kindle and the Amazon representative helped them register an invalid (dummy) credit card so that no one could buy books. The person who lost the Kindle also put up a notice in the mall office near where she works and created a text document telling the person that found it who it belonged to and then sent it to the Kindle so that if someone woke it up and turned on the wireless they would get that document.

She did find the Kindle the next day, a delivery guy had found it at the side of the road.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm not sure why you need Amazons help. Just go onto your Amazon account... go to "Manage Your Kindle" and click "Deregiater". Once you have done this no one will be able to purchase ebooks with that S/N.

I would also report it to Amazon... they may be able to black list that S/N so it can't be used any more... I don't know if they do this though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
While it may not always help, everybody should print a small card with their name and phone number, and perhaps "Reward if found" and tape it inside the front cover. I use transparent packing tape as it does not yellow and get sticky with age.

When I first got mine, I sent to feedback the request to have the firmware upgraded to make it possible to password protect it, such as is done with laptops, PDAs, etc. It should not be that hard, and is very important. Every owner should send in this request, then they might listen.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not sure why you need Amazons help. Just go onto your Amazon account... go to "Manage Your Kindle" and click "Deregiater". Once you have done this no one will be able to purchase ebooks with that S/N.

I would also report it to Amazon... they may be able to black list that S/N so it can't be used any more... I don't know if they do this though.

BOb
And it would allow them to easily re-register it to themselves. I plan on contacting Amazon on Monday after my husband has checked at work to make sure it's not there. So far no one has tried to buy anything. If they do, I'll contact Amazon sooner.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Should you be lucky enough to get it back, and should it ever happen again, you might try Ricky Maveetys' solution.....as soon as I figure out how, I'll do it for mine. From what I've read, those people who lose their Kindles usually get them back if the people have contact info...

Quote from Ricky Maveety"I created a bookplate with my name, address and phone number on it ... just in case my precious Kindle is ever lost. I posted it along with some others as free screensavers in another thread. (Without my name, address, and phone number on it, of course.)"
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
And it would allow them to easily re-register it to themselves.
True... but are you worried about the person using it for themselves or about them buying stuff on your card? I would think the latter.

Most people that steal stuff like this to sell it. I think Amazon should have a way to blacklist a serial number. Of course, there is room to abuse this... I think that is why Apple doesn't do it.

BOb
Old 11-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hope you can get it back soon...
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Me, too. The folks at the transit agency say to give it awhile because sometimes it takes awhile for people to bring things in to the lost and found. I made a dummy account with no credit card and registered it there. No one tried to buy anything the week it was missing but Amazon decided to deregister it anyway. They apparently have no way of just disabling its privileges but decided to be "helpful" and deregister it even though I didn't want to. So I figured I'd just make a new account and put it there where it can do no harm. I sent a note to it offering a reward.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek

A happy update: Someone turned in my husband's Kindle to the transit agency's lost and found. I wish I could thank them for being ethical and kind enough to go out of their way to do this for us.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A happy update: Someone turned in my husband's Kindle to the transit agency's lost and found. I wish I could thank them for being ethical and kind enough to go out of their way to do this for us.
That's awesome... good to hear. I'm glad you got it back. There are good people in this world.

BOb
Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Wow! That is awesome. I'm glad you got your Kindle back.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
That is happy news Alisa.
Isn't it nice to know that there are some good people around?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
I am very happy for you. I goes a long way in restoring one's faith in human nature.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote