Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Hoggy
Amateur Photographer
Hoggy began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop (& sometimes a family member's Kindle Fire)
Wheel page-flip behavior with built-in viewer's 2-pages per screen view

Hi,

I tried several search terms but couldn't find this specific issue. I tried the yellow icon at the top right of the built-in e-book viewer but it's not what I'm looking for..

I prefer to read e-books using the 2-page per page view under 'text layout in paged mode' on my wide-screen laptops. The problem is that clicking the next-page button will move 1 page at a time with the settable page-flip duration. However when using either the mouse scroll wheel up/down or even the scroll-wheel's horizontal behavior, the pages will often not move only 1 'page' at a time. Instead I may get many 2-page 'page flips'.

Would there be any way to change that to have the delay there as if it was using the page turning buttons on the left side or something?

(Preferably in time for the next beta, because it's getting really annoying. :-)

Many thanks for this amazing program,
Brian
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under page flip options in the viewer preferences. You can have the mouse wheel change either one column at a time or the whole page at a time.

If you are getting random numbers of page flips then your mouse is generating random numbers of wheel events. I suggest getting a mouse with a a wheel that "clicks" rather than a smooth wheel. Or use the keyboard to scroll.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Hoggy
Amateur Photographer
Hoggy began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop (& sometimes a family member's Kindle Fire)
Ahh - so that's what that "mouse wheel flips pages" option should do while in paged mode. On my various machines it does nothing in paged mode.. The pages still flip 2 at a time [when showing 2-pages-per-screen]. It doesn't just flip 1 column.
---- I always update to the latest Calibre version on all machines. Using both WinXP(x32-Intel) machines and one Win7(x64-AMD). The viewer behaves the same in this regard on all these machines.
EDIT: NOW I'm seeing both mice wheels behave as you said this should (one column at a time), but it wasn't until after I tried using the keyboard's cursor pad to change pages/columns.

As far as the flipping more than 1 page - yes, it is due to my 2 mice having free wheels.. One is a Microsoft Natural mouse 6000 for it's ergonomics and the other is a Logitech with one one of those fast free-spinning wheels. The Logitech has an option to make it clickable, but I find the freeness to be extremely useful - The M$6000's wheel is more slow (rubbery?) moving with no option for clicks unfortunately.
Would it be too difficult to make the mouse wheel act as if I'm pressing the next-page button on the left? Or at least have it be an option under the page flip settings? The 'page-flip duration' setting would help prevent more than one page flip while still keeping the usefulness of the free spinning wheel.
---- This would be an accessibility feature request due to my physical limitations. So if it wouldn't be too difficult, it would be awesome if that could be added/changed.
Plus also, I think it would make Calibre appear to be more consistent with regard to flipping pages.
EDIT: And/or --- maybe have some setting to restrict how many wheel clicks are allowed/registered within so many milliseconds or something.. I may like that column 'flipping' now that the option appears to be working correctly.

Many thanks,
Brian

Last edited by Hoggy; 11-08-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Hoggy is offline   Reply With Quote