Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
zillerina
zillerina began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I don't understand how to move books onto my kindle

I'm not quite as bad as the subject line suggests, but I am hung up on how to get kindle books from Amazon onto my PC or Kindle without re-downloading them.
If I understand correctly I can download a book to my PC or I can download a book to my Kindle. They are also then in my archives.
Say I download to my PC - I can read it on my PC but cannot transfer it to my Kindle. I have to redownload it to the Kindle device itself.
Similarly, if I have downloaded a book to my Kindle (from Amazon), I would have to redownload it to my PC in order to read it on the PC. Simply transferring it to my PC from my Kindle would not allow me to read it on my PC.

Now Amazon will let me download a book intended to be read on my Kindle to my PC, with the idea that I will then transfer the book to my Kindle via USB. But I cannot access it on the PC if I do this.

Am I correct in all this? It is a super frustrating way of doing things, especially as in my case I get internet very infrequently. So I stockpile books for download.
That is another thing I cannot believe I am doing correctly. When I download archived books it seems I can only do them one at a time. When they are stockpiled as I do (due to limited internet time) this is super frustrating because it takes ages to do this and my internet time is used up before I can get through even half of my downloads. Is there no way to bulk download archived items on to the Kindle?

Can I do something with the books I have downloaded to my PC, for example, so that I can transfer them to my Kindle without having to go through all this. I am referring in all instances to books I have got from Amazon.

Or have I simply got this whole download thing all wrong and being really dumb (it happens <g>)

Thanks for any help. Preferably in non-technical terms, it's not my strength.
zillerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Go to Amazon \ Your Account and sign in.

Then go to \ Digital Content \ Manage Your Kindle.

All your eBooks are listed there. Click on "Actions."

From there you can deliver to your PC and each of your Kindles directly. You can also download for a transfer to a Kindle device by USB. You can also clear the furthest page read or delete that eBook from your Library
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Go to your Amazon, click on Manage Your Kindle. Select the book you want on both your PC and your Kindle, click on the Action button on the right and move send it to what ever device you want to read it on. You can certainly have it on your Kindle and your PC at the same time.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillerina View Post
I'm not quite as bad as the subject line suggests, but I am hung up on how to get kindle books from Amazon onto my PC or Kindle without re-downloading them.
If I understand correctly I can download a book to my PC or I can download a book to my Kindle. They are also then in my archives.
Say I download to my PC - I can read it on my PC but cannot transfer it to my Kindle. I have to redownload it to the Kindle device itself.
Similarly, if I have downloaded a book to my Kindle (from Amazon), I would have to redownload it to my PC in order to read it on the PC. Simply transferring it to my PC from my Kindle would not allow me to read it on my PC.

Now Amazon will let me download a book intended to be read on my Kindle to my PC, with the idea that I will then transfer the book to my Kindle via USB. But I cannot access it on the PC if I do this.

Am I correct in all this? It is a super frustrating way of doing things, especially as in my case I get internet very infrequently. So I stockpile books for download.
Corrrect. DRM locks the books to the specific device or app they were downloaded for. You can have the ebooks on both your Kindle and the Kindle for PC program at the same time, but the book files will not be interchangeable.

Quote:
That is another thing I cannot believe I am doing correctly. When I download archived books it seems I can only do them one at a time. When they are stockpiled as I do (due to limited internet time) this is super frustrating because it takes ages to do this and my internet time is used up before I can get through even half of my downloads. Is there no way to bulk download archived items on to the Kindle?
You can send books to your Kindle as you buy them, or from your Manage Your Kindle library, they won't download until you connect the Kindle to wifi, but then the backlog of books will all download together.

Quote:
Can I do something with the books I have downloaded to my PC, for example, so that I can transfer them to my Kindle without having to go through all this. I am referring in all instances to books I have got from Amazon.
You could strip the DRM, but you'll have to find instructions for doing that elsewhere since it can't be discussed on this forum.

Quote:
Or have I simply got this whole download thing all wrong and being really dumb (it happens <g>)

Thanks for any help. Preferably in non-technical terms, it's not my strength.
You have it all straight, DRM is annoying.

Last edited by Synamon; 04-17-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Not all Amazon books have DRM. DRM Free can be loaded from K4PC to your Kindle via usb or emailing the book.

If you see this on the book's detail page:
Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
It's DRM free. Most KPD (Self Published) books are DRM free.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
And of course any books downloaded from here are DRM free so you don't have that headache. Of course they are pretty much pre 1923 books too since of course books that you find at sites like Amazon are still in copyright.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
zillerina
zillerina began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks so much for the replies - they have been very helpful in clearing up a lot of my confusion. I like my Kindle, but this aspect of it irritates me no end :-)
zillerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I thought I had heard that Amazon quit displaying the "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" on book pages.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I thought I had heard that Amazon quit displaying the "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" on book pages.
It has since reappeared.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote