Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle black levels

I got my kindle a few days ago and I'm wondering about the black level quality. On mine the pure black has a weird annoying texture. I understand that the e-ink can't be a really *deep* black but this texture is pretty annoying for me. I'm wondering if this is normal or what since I didn't really notice it before.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3121/dsf2871.jpg
100% crop http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9758/dsf2871b.jpg
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Did you use a flash photo? The graphite border is a lot lighter than mine.

But yeah, that's pretty much what mine is as well, taking into account the lighting difference.

Kindles are really just designed to read novels on. Not look at pictures.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't understand the question. How are you getting the screen to turn pure black??... and why would you want to?

For what it's worth; that first image looks like a defective screen to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't understand the question. How are you getting the screen to turn pure black??... and why would you want to?

For what it's worth; that first image looks like a defective screen to me.
I THINK it is an image of a GRAY SCALE. It shows the gradations from white to black.

As for the original issue: I don't believe the screen was intended to be used in that manner - all black or white or even blocks of those "colors". It is intended as mentioned, to display text. The "mottling" is because there are "pixels" (or whatever they are called in e-ink).

It does a reasonable but not great job of showing my photos where there is reasonable contrast, like scenes with snowy mountains. Grassy meadows with the gray mountains and cloudless blue sky are less than striking.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Maybe if you post the source picture and we will see if it looks the same on ours.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Maybe if you post the source picture and we will see if it looks the same on ours.
it's in the top post. why someone would want to make their kindle go all black like that though is beyond me
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The black picture was to prove a point. I notice this when viewing comics, pictures, etc

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2034/47823591.jpg
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraflame View Post
The black picture was to prove a point. I notice this when viewing comics, pictures, etc

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2034/47823591.jpg
I suppose it would be more realistic if you could capture a real picture. from here it looks like you are overtaxing the eink
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I don't think you're going to do much better than that on a device that displays in grayscale.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote