Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Extra Mounted Volume "Setting"

When I connect up my new 650, I get 2 mounted volumes. One is called "Reader" and the other is called "Setting".

"Reader" obviously contains the books, pics, audio, etc. "Setting" mounts and contains the Windows and Mac Sony Reader Library software installers. I have copied the library software for backup purposes but will never use it because I use the much superior Calibre software

My first question is how to delete this mounted volume from my Mac. It is just clutter and a waste of space now. Did you have to format the internal memory to get rid of it?

My second question is if you format the internal memory, do you loose the dictionaries or anything important (not including books, pics, or audio stuff)? I assume not since I would think that Sony put the dictionaries on the flash partition, but then I think of the old saying....assume means to make an ass out of u and me.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Haha, I was wondering about the same thing. Any computer literate out there want to explain how we can merge to two volumes together?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there anyone else bothered by the extra volume automatically mounting and cluttering their desktop space? I formatted the internal memory and that did not get rid of the "setting" volume. Using disk utility, it shows up as a 10 mb partition that is launched using "Sony PRS-650 Launcher Media". It only contains the reader library software which is totally useless as far as I am concerned. I worry that if I try to erase that partition (which I assume lives in the flash memory), that the device will be bricked. Any thoughts or experience anyone?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It clutters my network drives, which I already have a shortage off... (I want an alphabet with more letters in it!) I have two drive letters left and that settings drive overwrites one of my network drives (which is highly annoying!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I'm not even sure you can format it or otherwise make it go away. It is a separate partition, so even if you erase it, it will still be there. Sony put it there to make setting up a new reader faster.

On a Mac running 10.4 or later, you can drag the volume off the Finder sidebar and remove it so it doesn't show up there anymore. Won't help if you put drives on your desktop though.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Thanks for your thoughts Kolenka. It is mainly annoying, since when you attach the reader with a card, you get at least 3 volumes mounting (4 if some have 2 memory cards). I have already removed the volume from my devices list. I think that the volume is in the flash memory and that only by reflashing with a hack would get rid of it. Since the 650 is so new, and the closest flash hack is the one for the 900, that is not really an option yet. I will report back if/when I find out any more info.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
slantybard
my parent's oops...

I got the following response from Sony regarding this issue:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

This Partitioned Volume is an Automatic Installer for the Reader Library Software. This drive allows you to easily install the Reader Library Software from your Sony Reader. Unfortunately this drive cannot be uninstalled since there is always a risk of data loss when deleting a partition. However you can eject this volume whenever your Reader is connected by following these steps:

1. Open Finder from your Dock
2. On the Left Panel click on Eject for the drive installed
3. The Partition Drive will be removed from your computer without affecting your Sony Reader functionality

If this information does not resolve your issue, please contact us at (866) 962-7669.

Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.

The Sony Email Response Team
Old 09-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
It is a separate partition, so even if you erase it, it will still be there. Sony put it there to make setting up a new reader faster.
Sony didn't put it there to make things faster, they made it to not have to add a setup CD.

The 2 volumes were allready there on the 600. The 505 came with a CD and therefore only has 1 volume.

Just ejecting a drive in finder or explorer doesn't make it go away.
I'm not sure where exactly Sony locates the firmware, but I didn't have the guts to merge the 2 volumes. If you merge them and the firmware is on any of the volumes, it could be messed up and render the reader useless (at least you would have to flash the reader with the firmware again).

So far I never heard of anyone who had merged his volumes. But I agree that it's an annoyance. On win based systems (if you don't use sonys library software), you have to eject 2 drives before you can "safely remove" the drive. But then, if there ain't no read or write access, you can also just remove without ejecting.

Using the eject button within sonys software ejects both drives at once.

Hope this clears things up a little
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Sony didn't put it there to make things faster, they made it to not have to add a setup CD.
That is making it faster.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
^ You should still give it a try anyways because you have a 30 day DOA (dead on arrival / return and exchange within 30 days) policy. If it f-up, you can just tell Sony that your device is not working and you just bought it a week ago.
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
That is making it faster.
It may, but still, from a "company thinking" side it's a cost saving first.

Just my 2 cents
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
It may, but still, from a "company thinking" side it's a cost saving first.

Just my 2 cents
If it was strictly that, it'd probably be download-only similar to Apple and iTunes now. Right now they are still paying to develop and maintain two release mechanisms rather than one. And a firmware release mechanism is harder on development than a CD image. Solved problem at this point (work was done in the 900 firmware), so it may be cheaper now, but there's no way that developing and testing it was cheaper than "Hey, throw this on a master ISO and send it to the pressers that we own."

But here's the thing, from an engineering perspective, this way is elegant, despite the higher up-front costs to set it up. The software needed to support the device is always available, even in cases of lack of internet, lost CDs, whatever. That's a pretty big benefit, despite the cost.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #13
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
^ You should still give it a try anyways because you have a 30 day DOA (dead on arrival / return and exchange within 30 days) policy. If it f-up, you can just tell Sony that your device is not working and you just bought it a week ago.
Now you are actually advising to abuse the system. The exchange program is not a license to f-up the product you've purchased. Pathetic.