Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you use Sony's offer with your PRS-500?
Send in my PRS-500 for a free ePub upgrade (free shipping) 78 53.06%
Trade-in for a Reader Pocket Edition at $50 off 3 2.04%
Trade-in for a Reader Touch Edition for $75 off 10 6.80%
Do nothing - I like my PRS-500 just the way it is 24 16.33%
Not sure yet 32 21.77%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PRS-500 owners: Will you take advantage of Sony's upgrade/trade-up offer?

Sony has made PRS-500 owners a great offer (MR News and Sony Offer):
* A free firmware upgrade to support ePub, including free shipping, or
* A trade-in discount on a new device ($50 or $75 depending on the model)

What will you do? (Please participate in the poll, and share your thoughts in the thread.)

So now the reality sets in - I don't want to part with my PRS-500, even if I buy another device and the 500 goes into storage in "museum mode"! Am I willing to part with it for a "measly" $75??? And am I willing to part with the custom navigation hacks just to get e-pub support? Do I want to upgrade - the new devices are a significant upgrade in usability. Or, heaven forbid, after such a nice offer do I want to consider a Daily Reader or even a non-Sony device like the Daily new Plastic Logic large screen device? These are some serious questions!

Can't wait to hear what others are going to do. Share your thoughts!

Last edited by Bob Russell; 11-15-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
I had to vote for the 4th option, even though I do not have any option living outside the US.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2 View Post
I had to vote for the 4th option, even though I do not have any option living outside the US.
Same here
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you read the original thread (which Bob has linked to) you'll see that several of our members have already very kindly volunteered to sent devices to Sony on behalf on members outside the US - just simply send them the device, with return postage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
One thing to keep in mind is when they convert their store to ePub... then all the ebooks you purchased will then instantly work for any device that supports ePub... which includes the Nook, Opus, iRex 800, EZ Reader, BeBook, PocketBook etc.

So, if you thought you were linked to Sony since you have an investment in ebooks bought from their store... this conversion (of the Sony book store) does seem to liberate you from the brand.

And the upgrade of the 500 liberates you from the Sony store.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the brand.... just pointing this out.

BOb

(yes, I know you can get books elsewhere if you remove DRM. But I think only a small percentage of Sony owners do that.)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There is one option missing.

I would like to use some of the above options, but ... as usually ... I am officially screwed again because I do not live in USA.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you read the original thread (which Bob has linked to) you'll see that several of our members have already very kindly volunteered to sent devices to Sony on behalf on members outside the US - just simply send them the device, with return postage.
Yes, I read that as well. In fact, if it wasn't for a Mobileread user I would never have got my PRS-500 back in September 2006. So, thanks to the Mobileread community. Thanks also to Sony for caring for their (US) customers, as most companies would not go to that trouble.
However, when we factor in the shipping costs back and forth the Atlantic, and a possible inspection by Customs here, an upgrade to ePub is not worth it at all. Even a $75 discount on a PRS-600 is not worth it, if the package gets inspected at Customs here.

There's always the possibility that someone will hack an upgraded PRS-500 and provide a homemade upgrade tool for the rest of us. There may not much interest in this, but you never know.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, since we don't know exactly what Sony are doing, I'd say the chances of a hack to upgrade existing 500s is not going to happen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
I have sent an email to Sony asking if I can use the trade-in offer if I order the 300 through sonyrewards.com instead of through sonystyle.com. I'm sure the answer is no, but I wanted to check. I get a substantial discount through Sony Rewards, and I have points to use, too. With an additional $50 off, I would have no trouble making the purchase today. If (when) they tell me that won't work, I will probably send my 500 in for the upgrade and will probably also buy a 300 sometime soon through Sony Rewards (for less than $150).
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Send in for the upgrade - I don't need another reader (I have the 505, a Kindle 1 and a Kindle DX), but it will be nice to keep to old 500 up to date.

Edited to add: Just a heads up if you do go the upgrade route, note that the UPS label is only good for ten days from date of issue (at least that's what the UPS email said when they sent a confirmation email).

Edited to add to my edited to add: The Sony site says the label is good for 30 days.

I guess the upshot is - don't procrastinate once you've signed up.

Last edited by Studio717; 11-15-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
What happens to purchased BeBook formatted books?

So does anyone know what happens to the BeBook formatted books you've already purchased? Will they still work or will Sony let you re-download ePub versions?

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have no reason to update my 500 since I already have a 505 and 300. Not interested in the Touch edition, but would like to see an option for getting $100 in a trade in for the Daily edition.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
Send in for the upgrade - I don't need another reader (I have the 505, a Kindle 1 and a Kindle DX), but it will be nice to keep to old 500 up to date.

Edited to add: Just a heads up if you do go the upgrade route, note that the UPS label is only good for ten days from date of issue (at least that's what the UPS email said when they sent a confirmation email).

Edited to add to my edited to add: The Sony site says the label is good for 30 days.

I guess the upshot is - don't procrastinate once you've signed up.
I'm jealous. I wasn't able to print he label (it came up to a blank page), and I never received an email after I finished signing up for the upgrade

For my reader, or my wife's.

I'll be calling their customer disservice department tomorrow.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I sold my old PRS500 on eBay a month ago for $140. Why would anyone trade it into Sony for $50 or $75? Sell it yourself, get more money and get actual cash you can spend on anything you want, not just what Sony wants you to spend it on!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
I completely agree with Leaping Gnome...why would anyone "trade it in" when you can sell it with very little effort on ebay. They're going for about $150 right now.

By the way, I just sold my Kindle 2 on ebay for $252 and used the money toward a refurbished DX. Effortless.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote