Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
dclavey
ePub Junky
dclavey began at the beginning.

Device: Black Sony Touch PRS-600, iPad
Question How Many books can you get on a PRS 600

When you disconnect the prs-600 from the USB, the unit goes busy (I guess while it re-builds its Main menu) for an anoying amount of time.

I am using the latest Sony Ebook library software onto a 16G Flash Card

Just being doing tests on the post-USB timings:

100 books = 1 minute
500 books = 10 minutes
1500 books = 50 minutes
2500 books = Still waiting after 2 hours (testing now)
13,000 books = timed out over night with no battery life left.

So am I missing something here, how is it possible for sony to claim that the unit can take 13,000 books when it has this dreadful post comms delay!
dclavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
How are you loading them onto the card? If not already doing so, maybe using the Sony eBook Library software would 'pre-process' them?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
dclavey
ePub Junky

Yep tried both methods.

The delay is the same every time you disconnect the USB.

i.e. if you have 500 books already on the device and have already had the 10 minute delay, if you connect the USB then disconnect it again you get another 10 minute delay.

Surely everyone with the sony readers has also observed this delay?????

I have tried copying the files directly to the flash card. - same delay

I have also tried using the sony ebooklibrary and the excellend calibra software.

All three methods give the same timing every time you disconnect from the USB.

The only thing i have not tried is syncronising a directory (using sony ebook library software), i will do that next.

Between each test I reformat the Flash card to make sure I am not going crazy!

To test i am using 11,161 lrf's, 547 epubs, 11 pdfs
Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
they don't expect you to load 13,000 books on it, that's why.

personally I never loaded more books than I intend to read. (currently at 130 books, 50% read, 50% unread)

return it. get something better.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclavey View Post
Yep tried both methods.

The delay is the same every time you disconnect the USB.

i.e. if you have 500 books already on the device and have already had the 10 minute delay, if you connect the USB then disconnect it again you get another 10 minute delay.

Surely everyone with the sony readers has also observed this delay?????

I have tried copying the files directly to the flash card. - same delay

I have also tried using the sony ebooklibrary and the excellend calibra software.

All three methods give the same timing every time you disconnect from the USB.

The only thing i have not tried is syncronising a directory (using sony ebook library software), i will do that next.

Between each test I reformat the Flash card to make sure I am not going crazy!

To test i am using 11,161 lrf's, 547 epubs, 11 pdfs
I only have this delay once. After making changes, i. e. adding or deleting books. Then re-building the index causes delay.
But as long as I don't change anything, the delay is close to 0.
And even if I do change anything, the delay only is based on the change.
Example: I've got 500 books already and add another 20. Then only the 20 new ones cause delay.
And I've got way less delay than you (never had more than 1.200 books though). Maybe your LRFs aren't prepared properly? Maybe "original" ePUBs or LRX are faster?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
i have 922 books on my 600 and I only got a reload time of around 3-5 mins first time I rebooted after adding them.........made no difference how many I put on internal or memory stick, still same small reboot time.....
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
dclavey
ePub Junky

Just tried syncronise folder method of synconisation with 600 books and again have a 12 min delay between taking the UBS out and before the main screen is properly displayed again. (its displayed in dim)

Interestingly the dimmed out main screen says 6 collections and 1 drawing but no books.

Hence my surmise that it was reading its way through the books.

I get the 12 min delay even when I attach the USB and disconnect it quickly.

Nice to hear that other people do not have the problem. I will investigate whether its a rogue epub or lrt!

I will also try an experiment with no SD Flash Card.

I had the same problem with a sony flash card last week when i tried it

Its all a shame as i only bought the 600 instead of the 300 because of the number of books it holds !!!!!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
dclavey
ePub Junky

Are your "922 books" on a sony or sd flash card or the main memory?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Are your "922 books" on a sony or sd flash card or the main memory?
I have tried them with 500 on internal memory and the rest on a Sony 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, I also tried all 922 on the Memory Stick with none on internal, results were the same either way I did it.
I do use the Sony elibrary software to transfer though, so I guess that helps..........also makes no difference if the card is in the reader or the PC for transfer......all my books are lrf files at the moment, though I did add 3 epubs and 1 pdf and it gave same results as before.

I have found the 600 processes large amounts of books much better than my 505 ever did, that was unusable when I used the cards......
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
dclavey
ePub Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
I have tried them with 500 on internal memory and the rest on a Sony 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, I also tried all 922 on the Memory Stick with none on internal, results were the same either way I did it.
I do use the Sony elibrary software to transfer though, so I guess that helps..........also makes no difference if the card is in the reader or the PC for transfer......all my books are lrf files at the moment, though I did add 3 epubs and 1 pdf and it gave same results as before.......
Yes just tried an experiment with 500 lrf's ebooks in main memory rather than 500 epub ebooks and the device takes 2 mins now (rather than 12 mins). Not sure if its the lrf's or the main memory or a dodgy epub. So now going to try 500 lrf's ebooks on a sony card (rather than SD card)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
I have found the 600 processes large amounts of books much better than my 505 ever did, that was unusable when I used the cards......
Probably because the 600 has a faster processor in it.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #11
dclavey
ePub Junky

Sony says:

Quote:
The loading indicator stays on the screen for an extended period when Memory Stick media or a SD memory card is inserted in the Reader.
When a Memory Stick media or SD memory card is inserted in the Reader, the loading indicator will display until the Reader indexes all compatible files on the memory media. As the number of files on the memory card increases, the amount of time required to index the files will increase.

To reduce the Reader's indexing time, reduce the number of files on the memory media.
Tried 900 lrf's on a Sony Duo Memory card and got 15 mins wait time, every time the USB is connected and Disconnected.

Tryed clearing the machine out completely - Factory resetting - hard setting, but still get problem.

Any Ideas anyone ????
Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #12
dclavey
ePub Junky

I should also add I have taken a copy of the memory card before and after each "re-index" and compared them on a PC.

There are no changes! i.e. re-index was not required.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
klamarth
klamarth began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
I should also add I have taken a copy of the memory card before and after each "re-index" and compared them on a PC.

I believe that reindex information are stored in the main memory (or some dedicated space in the reader) and not in the card.
klamarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

That's true, but the Reader doesn't KNOW that you haven't changed anything until it goes through its library and looks. That, I think, is the issue.

With LRF books, this was understandable, since they needed to be paginated. Why this delay occurs with ePub books, though (and it does) is a bit of a mystery. Other ePub-supporting devices do not do this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As a matter of interest, by the way, I'm using exclusively ePub books and my timings appear to be very much in line with yours. I currently have 114 books on my PRS-600, and it takes 55 seconds from unplugging the USB cable to the device being ready to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
busy, ebook, prs-600, sony