Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
wicket
wicket began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
PDF can't zoom in PRS 505?

Hi Guys

Sorry newbie here. I have several books in PDF file which I have unsuccessfully converted to EPUB So I am sticking to the PDF format but... the font is so small and even if i click the zoom button its feels like its still the same font size. Its too small for me to read any ideas?

any would be greatly appreciated!
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Hmm - I wonder if they're image-based, as you say they didn't convert? Other conversion options you could try are via Book Designer or via Mobipocket Creator, but there's not going to be much they can do if the book is image based.

Have you tried reading it in landscape? Press & hold the zoom button to toggle portrait/landscape.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
wicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Hmm - I wonder if they're image-based, as you say they didn't convert? Other conversion options you could try are via Book Designer or via Mobipocket Creator, but there's not going to be much they can do if the book is image based.

Have you tried reading it in landscape? Press & hold the zoom button to toggle portrait/landscape.
will try the book designer I don't think the PDF is image based so I'm hoping the book designer will help me out

Did try it now using landscape and it did improve the font size still small but at least now I can read it Thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
infomercialscam
infomercialscam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello...
I think you have to download latest version of Acrobat reader 8.0 it has the functionality what you are asking for but its looks slow to me compare to version 5.0...
infomercialscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Some PDFs, with lots of tables or "text-block" columns, won't resize in the PRS-505. A lot more don't resize with the "M" setting, which removes formatting but may not make the font notably larger, but do get larger text with the "L." Some get larger with both, but still not large enough for comfortable reading.

Simplest PDF conversion (if Calibre's didn't work well) is to send it to a gmail account, and select "View as HTML" and let Google do the conversion for you; save out that HTML page and run it through Calibre or the Sony program to put it into a usable ebook format.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Rotate and read in landscape.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
wicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Some PDFs, with lots of tables or "text-block" columns, won't resize in the PRS-505. A lot more don't resize with the "M" setting, which removes formatting but may not make the font notably larger, but do get larger text with the "L." Some get larger with both, but still not large enough for comfortable reading.

Simplest PDF conversion (if Calibre's didn't work well) is to send it to a gmail account, and select "View as HTML" and let Google do the conversion for you; save out that HTML page and run it through Calibre or the Sony program to put it into a usable ebook format.
sorry newbie here so pardon my question but how do i save an html page?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
wicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by infomercialscam View Post
Hello...
I think you have to download latest version of Acrobat reader 8.0 it has the functionality what you are asking for but its looks slow to me compare to version 5.0...

download the adobe reader 8.0 in my mac? That will help?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
sorry newbie here so pardon my question but how do i save an html page?
In Windows, you go under "File -->Save Page As..." and save the file on your computer somewhere. I imagine it's similar on a Mac; you save it the same way you'd save an open document in a word processing program.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
Ellimist
Ellimist began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Sorry newbie here. I have several books in PDF file which I have unsuccessfully converted to EPUB So I am sticking to the PDF format but... the font is so small and even if i click the zoom button its feels like its still the same font size. Its too small for me to read any ideas?
Two ideas.

1. There is a recently updated firmware for the 505 that updates the PDF reflow algorithms, so that might be a problem. (check that link or check in your ebook store software*1)

2. Try converting to RTF. RTF is my format of choice*2 for the 505. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46784

Good luck.

*1 Open the Sony eBook Store, then click on "The Sony Reader" at the top-right, then scroll toward the bottom to get the 1.1 firmware update. "Enables text with PDF eBooks to be "reflowed". This will enlarge the text and improve the readability of text-based PDF's"

*2 Subjectively, it seems that the page turns are faster AND the formatting reflows are better than native PDF.

Last edited by Ellimist; 05-24-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Ellimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If it's an image based PDF, I'd convert it to LRF with PDFLRF. If it's a text based PDF, I'd do the same with SoPDF. Between those two tools, I can almost always get any PDF into readable form on my Sony.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
If it's an image based PDF, I'd convert it to LRF with PDFLRF. If it's a text based PDF, I'd do the same with SoPDF. Between those two tools, I can almost always get any PDF into readable form on my Sony.
How do you know if a PDF is image based or text based? Oh, do you mean once you open it with Reader if it's selectable it's text, correct?
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Usually, yes, with some rare exceptions. It is possible with Adobe Acrobat Pro, however, to OCR the text but keep the images as well, and then the text will be selectable even though it's image based.

But basically you should be able to tell just by looking at it. If it looks like a photocopy of a book or something like that, it's probably an image from a scan. If it looks like it might look, e.g., on a Word Processor, or professional at all, it's likely text-based.

Anyway, it's not really that important to find out. PDFLRF and SoPDF will both work with either, it's just that I like the output of PDFLRF better for scans/images, and the output of SoPDF better for text-based ones, especially since using PDFLRF on a text-based one will increase the file size dramatically. You can always do both conversions and load both into your Sony and see which one looks better.

Last edited by frabjous; 06-23-2009 at 11:52 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Cool
Old 06-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #15
joedevon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Does this still work? I gmailed myself a PDF, it let's me "view" as html, but not save it...and it just converts a text based PDF into images on the actual html page...so it isn't really converting the text into html....

Any ideas?