Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Announcing a fabulous new site for Kindle owners

I just wanted to announce a new webiste 1001Books.com.

I want to announce a new website I designed for fun that I believe everyone will enjoy. Kindle owners will probably get the most use out of it, but I hope non-Kindle owners will enjoy it as well. This isn't a commercial website, just something I did for fun.

My site provides a list of 1001 books in a handful of categories (classic Lit., Modern Lit., Mystery, Sci-Fi, etc.). Visitors can vote on which books they believe are the best and worst in a category, and can also replace books in the bottom of a category with their own favorites. For each book listed, visitors can do the following:
  • Download the book if it is in the public domain
  • Buy the book from Amazon if it is available
  • Request Amazon/publishers make the book available if it isn't

Primarily my website is just a convenience. It makes downloading the classics very easy. They are all right in front of you and are quickly downloaded with just one click. The ebook files themselves are links to books on Mobileread, Feedbooks, and Manybooks. These links are used with Mobileread and Feedbooks permission (I'm still waiting to hear back from Manybooks but they haven't objected). These are just links to other sites, and I make it clear that it isn't my content, but it also makes it convenient for visitors wanting to download books. There is also a "Search" option to quickly find books in which you might be interested.

The "Buy from Amazon" and "Request" options are also a convenience. You can request a hundred books that aren't available be made available in just minutes. If the book is part of a series, you can also click a single button and see all the books that belong to that series, and either Download, Buy, or Request those books with a single click (so my site actually lists more than 1001 books). If you "Request" a book then I can notify you as soon as Amazon makes the title available.

If you buy a book from my website then I get a referral fee from Amazon. However, my site still isn't a commercial site -- any money I make from referral fees will be used to payoff hosting and domain name renewal fees (around $100 a year total). Anything over that I'll do giveaways of Amazon gift cards to site visitors, so that the winner can buy some ebooks. I'm doing this site for fun, not profit.

So please take a look at my site. I am sure it still has some bugs -- I've already fixed a ton of them and no doubt I've missed some. Plus, I know I've probably got plenty of errors in my content, with items mislabled and such. Anyway, let me know what you think.

Last edited by Daithi; 03-09-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Cool! On my way to check it out. (Been a busy almost b-day for you, hasn't it )
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I love the way you credited mobileread for the free downloads.

Looks like a great site.

However, the "Register" and "FaQ" buttons don't seem to be working.

Best of luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just fixed the "Register" and "FAQ" buttons. Apparently I fixed a bug a couple days ago and caused a new bug (but since I'm already registered I didn't see it). I also fixed a bug with the item numbering if anyone happened to notice that one. Lastly, there is a bug with the Search function in Firefox and I haven't figured that one out yet.

Yes, my birthday is tomorrow -- I'll be 43 and I still like birthdays.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I don't own a Kindle (UK Resident), but your site makes me jealous of those who do. Clean design, easy to navigate, an invaluable resource for Kindle owners. Kudos!
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I just fixed the "Register" and "FAQ" buttons. Apparently I fixed a bug a couple days ago and caused a new bug (but since I'm already registered I didn't see it). I also fixed a bug with the item numbering if anyone happened to notice that one. Lastly, there is a bug with the Search function in Firefox and I haven't figured that one out yet.

Yes, my birthday is tomorrow -- I'll be 43 and I still like birthdays.
Can you make your sig logo clickable?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Old Man
Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Old Man has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
What a great idea. I haven't received my K2 yet (ordered yesterday). Look forward to visting your site a lot. Thanks.

Last edited by Old Man; 03-09-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

daffy4U,
Thanks for the clickable sig suggestion.

Thanks to everyone else that has commented on the site. It's really appreciated.

The Search option in firefox now works (but it still flashes a screen it shouldn't and I don't know why).
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
you may want to put some disclaimers on the free books. not all books are in public domain in all countries. for instance, i do not believe the George Orwell books are in public domain in the US.
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
schnauzer1
schnauzer1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Great site, thanks for the tip....
schnauzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Cool resource! Thanks!
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Great site. I just downloaded about 3 years worth of reading.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Great site. I just downloaded about 3 years worth of reading.
Cool. So we will talk to you again around March 2012!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrLvr View Post
for instance, i do not believe the George Orwell books are in public domain in the US.
I don't know if they're PD anywhere. Hadrien pulled them off of Feedbooks IIRC.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't know if they're PD anywhere. Hadrien pulled them off of Feedbooks IIRC.
I think they are in public domain in Canada and Australia.
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle