Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your opinion about fonts?
I have my own reading-font favourites. 77 55.40%
I have thought about it, but the idea flew away with a breeze. 6 4.32%
Whatever is available on my device. 25 17.99%
I am not concerned at all, I just like to read. 31 22.30%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I don't have a single favourite font - I rotate between about ten different fonts, changing font with each new book, and choosing one that I feel 'suits' the work. Font choice was an influence on my choice of ereader, and a much bigger one on my choice of next ereader.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I detest serif fonts; can't stand to read in them. As far as sans-serif goes I mix it up, but my favourite is probably Gill Sans, since it's simple and readable but still has some character.

stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have my favorite reading fonts. I do not like Caecilia at all. It reminds me of old west style writing not something I want to read every book with. I prefer Sans-Serif but I currently use a Serif font.

I use Amasis Modified. It basically Amasis that has been edited to look better on eInk. Someone here edited and it has saved me from dealing with font and contrast unhappiness

On my Tablet I use Amasis Modified or Trebuchet before that It was Tahoma. On my old eReader which was before Pearl I used TheSans.

I have tried many fonts but I always go back to those three.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-13186.gif
Views:	341
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	92057  

Last edited by Blossom; 09-09-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #19
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This one is beautiful.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #20
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Yes, I have my own favorite font for reading in the nook. Its called Amasis. Really like how it looks in the NST.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
While I voted "whatever is on my device", I do tend to get all gooey eyed at the Gentium family of fonts.

And the only sans-serif I've liked so far is the Liberation Sans Narrow. Otherwise sans-serif is something I'm not into reading for very long. The Kobo Touch also has Felbridge which I enjoyed, but I gave that to my husband.

I'm just thrilled to have an e-ink device where I can magnify or shrink the fonts at the touch of a button.... The default "condensed" on my Kindle is what I use the most for reading.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I have my favorite fonts. But what I would really like is to see a book in the font the publisher wanted the book to be read in. Even though it's possible on the kindle and nook, the resolution is so low that effectively you have to say no to publisher defaults (well at least I do). I look forward to the hd screens to read ebooks in the font the publisher intended them to be read.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I have my favorite fonts. But what I would really like is to see a book in the font the publisher wanted the book to be read in. Even though it's possible on the kindle and nook, the resolution is so low that effectively you have to say no to publisher defaults (well at least I do). I look forward to the hd screens to read ebooks in the font the publisher intended them to be read.
Heh Not seeing books in the fonts the publishers want is one of the biggest attractions of e-reading, to me! I hope that if this feature comes in, it will be thoroughly optional. (I guess I'll just bypass it with Calibre otherwise.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Anything but the default Sony font, which I think is HORRID. After I got the reader I nearly returned it for this reason, but I figured out how to change the fonts myself. I settled on Charis SIL and I like it just fine. I would like to try other fonts now but I don't really want to take the time to set it up. I would not like to read with a sans-serif font. If I had a Kindle, I'm not sure I would like it. It looks almost like a sans-serif font to me. What do you call that, slab serif? I don't know, but it seems like Kindle owners like the font, so maybe I would get used to it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Anything but the default Sony font, which I think is HORRID. After I got the reader I nearly returned it for this reason, but I figured out how to change the fonts myself. I settled on Charis SIL and I like it just fine. I would like to try other fonts now but I don't really want to take the time to set it up. I would not like to read with a sans-serif font. If I had a Kindle, I'm not sure I would like it. It looks almost like a sans-serif font to me. What do you call that, slab serif? I don't know, but it seems like Kindle owners like the font, so maybe I would get used to it.

eP
I actually have been just fine with the Sony default font, I started with a Nook and the Amasis font, but switched to Sony and found that I ended up preferring the Sony font. With my T1, I have other font options, but I didn't like any of them better.

I guess fonts are in the eye of the beholder.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
Have you tried the modified Charis SIL that I linked to? It is a little bit darker and gives a better contrast. Plus, it includes all the smallcaps varieties as separate fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The possibility to override any font, justification, indentation and other things with my choice is one of the most important features of my reader.

Serif fonts are great for *printed* books. For a low resolution medium, such as e-ink readers, I prefer sans-serif fonts.

At the moment I use Ubuntu Font. Before it was Gentium.

See some of my older posts
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10
Search for posts with Gentium, droid, ubuntu, caecilia posted by Kacir for more discussions.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I actually have been just fine with the Sony default font, I started with a Nook and the Amasis font, but switched to Sony and found that I ended up preferring the Sony font. With my T1, I have other font options, but I didn't like any of them better.

I guess fonts are in the eye of the beholder.
The problems (IMHO) with the default Sony font are that it's too light in weight and it uses simulated bold and italics which look awful. Also, extended characters are lacking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #29
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried the modified Charis SIL that I linked to? It is a little bit darker and gives a better contrast. Plus, it includes all the smallcaps varieties as separate fonts.
When I get around to loading another font and changing my Calibre settings, I want to try something besides Charis. I read mostly library books and they are usually set in Charis. So I figure I will have more variety if I choose something different for books where I set the font myself (and leave Charis for the library books). I'm just getting tired of seeing the same look all the time.

I know some people would rather see the same font all the time, so they focus on the words and don't notice the font anymore. But I do sometimes miss printed books where a trained designer carefully chose the font, the line height, the margins, etc., for that particular book. Oh well, when that happens I read a printed book. A nicely formatted one!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
While I voted "whatever is on my device", I do tend to get all gooey eyed at the Gentium family of fonts.

And the only sans-serif I've liked so far is the Liberation Sans Narrow. Otherwise sans-serif is something I'm not into reading for very long. The Kobo Touch also has Felbridge which I enjoyed, but I gave that to my husband.

I'm just thrilled to have an e-ink device where I can magnify or shrink the fonts at the touch of a button.... The default "condensed" on my Kindle is what I use the most for reading.

It's Caecilia in it's condensed form. It's not too bad but it's too light for me. It needs more weight. If you ever want to use a custom font on the K4 it's super easy to do! I use Amasis Modified which is just lovely. It just takes a plugin and Calibre to add the font of your choice and you can change the margins with the same plugin. I use 30 which looks alot better than default.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts