Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #331
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCard View Post
I own both the K3 (that I just picked up today for 89 bucks) and the KT. I have looked extensively at both screens, and I find the K3 more pleasing to the eye, the background is just a shade brighter/warmer. Again, it is such a tiny difference that it is splitting hairs - both are nice screens. If I had to pick one though, I would go with the K3 as the slightly better screen.

Here's a picture I took just now.. which doesn't really show much difference, but YMMV:

There's a difference. The one on the right is angled and the text is out of focus. It's a depth thing with the camera having the one on the left in focus while not so much the one on the right which seems to be sloped a bit.

I have a hard time reading the text on the one on the right but it's not because of the devices, in this case.

Oh, also notice that the "Kindle" name at the top, which is not part of the screen, is also out of focus. So it's not the screen.

Having said that, I'll add that I have a good K3 and have used a lot of pictures over the year with it on the blog. My K5 (the Touch and not the $79 one) is even better. Sharp, good blacks, high contrast and even more of a pleasure. I happen to have a liighter background on the K5 but the K3 was always considered a good K3 and measured up well against the DX.

These things seem to really differ by batches.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #332
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Just got mine this afternoon - the weather outside's above 0 Celsius, and when I shine light on the screen in a dark room (it's charging now), the K3 and K4 screens are pretty much indistinguishable in my case; high contrast, although the background looks a little greyer if the light hits the bezel, whereas without that as a reference it's less gray and more like my K3 from Oct/Nov 2010.

It hasn't prompted me to update to 5.0.3 yet, though. I'm using the second-smallest font and the text is perfectly readable... but I long for page-turn buttons so I don't have to move my thumb over to turn pages.
The 3, 4, and 5 have been used for "generation" of Kindle.

Amazon's using Kindle 3 with software version 3.x.x
And the NoTouch $79 one is Kindle 4 with software version 4.x.x
The Kindle Touch should be Kindle 5, as it has software version 5.x.x

(Note that Kindle Fire is software version 6.x.x .)

Since they're all quite different, I think it's important to separate
Kindle 4 NoTouch/No Keyboard and Kindle 5 Touch (which has the v.5.0.3 update)

The Kindle 4 has had the most complaints relatively speaking.

Haven't heard much about the K5 Touch having the probs the K4 does.
But maybe I missed them? Love mine w/ its lighter background and
dark fonts.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #333
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It was just speculation from photos on the Touch if it had the same contrast issues on the K4 but now it's been out awhile I can only think of 3 people who said it was darker than their other Kindle. On the K4 I have lost count how many people have said they have contrast issues with their K4. I've talk to so many people who contacted me privately Some here, Some on Facebook and comments on Amazon. I tell them all the same. If you're not happy call Amazon and they will send you a replacement.
You are not crazy!!!

My mother in law bought a Kindle Touch 3G from Target. I compared it to my Kindle 3G keyboard and mine has better contrasts; the background is more white. Her Kindle Touch 3G looks darker and has poor contrast. The background is more "newspaper" looking, kind of grey.

So ... I asked her to change it ;-) ... actually, bought a Kindle Touch 3G for myself just to compare, this time from Walmart. The plan was to keep the best one. To my surprise, you and the rest of the people here were 100% right. Both screens are different!

It looks there is a batch of Kindle Touch with poor contrast and darker screen.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #334
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Oh no, this is gonna start up again.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #335
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post

I can't go to bed without making a comment. Now that I made it, I feel better ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #336
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
No not from me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #337
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
WARNING: Thread necromancy in progress...

Here is some text lifted from GPL source code for the linux broadsheetfb driver:
Code:
    These E-Ink waveforms are specific to a production batch.  That is, a
    batch of display films are produced, then they get characterized and a
    waveform is generated for that batch.  Broadsheet, typically, is attached
    to its private SPI flash which is then flashed with this waveform.

Users won't be able to see the waveform and typically won't ever need to
    know about it.  If however, the display panel attached to broadsheet is
    changed out, then they will need to update their waveform.  That would
    typically be done at a factory or repair facility rather than by a user.
Which confirms that the waveforms programmed into a flash ROM chip attached to the eink displays, used to control the display, are programmed for the entire batch based on how the entire batch is "characterized" (statistically analyzed). This means that individual kindles at the outer limits of quality acceptance do exist. In fact, I noticed recently that my kindle touch display is nowhere near the quality of my kindle 3 display (in some modes) when they are compared to each other.

The comment about reprogramming the flash after swapping display does not apply to the kindles because the flash chip is attached to the display panel itself. On a kindle 3, it is the small chip mounted on the display flex cable.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #338
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Don't need any fancy equipment or a microscope to see that the quality of these screens is different, contrast ratio is clearly better on the e-Ink pearl screen on the right.

The contrast ratio is adjustable in the K5(touch), and so is the display gamma. Perhaps the default settings selected by lab126 are less favorable to some people who would rather see high contrast than nicer toned photos.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote