Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Your content causes some Kindle devices/applications to freeze or crash.

Hey there, has anyone received this message from KDP support?
Quote:
Dear Publisher,

During a quality assurance review of your title, we have found the following issue(s):

Your content causes some Kindle devices/applications to freeze or crash. This issue might be because of using kindlegen with the '-C2' flag instead of '-C1'.

Please either reconvert your file using the most recent version of KindleGen or submit your source file directly to KDP for automatic conversion. You can download KindleGen at http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

Please make the necessary corrections and republish it.

If you have further questions, you may write to us by visiting this page:

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/contact-us/

Please be sure to reference your ticket number when contacting us.

Best regards,

Amazon KDP
Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
http://www.amazon.com/your-account
This is in reference to a book that has been out since October and has sold thousands of copies with no complaints from readers. Now, it's true I used the -C2 flag, but since when is that a problem? The flag is there to be used, right?

Like many people here, I made the book (back in October) as an epub first, then went to mobi through kindlegen, then mobiunpack, then hand-tweaked the html and opf, then kindlegen again, then kindlestrip.

I'm almost thinking this is an excuse for them to get me to make a KF8 version of the book—the KF8-making kindlegen came out after this book was released. That is something I do want to do, but I'm busy with other things right now...
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
mrlasers
mrlasers began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
The -c2 flag can cause issues with some content and rarely provides a significant decrease in filesize. It's certainly possible that it could be causing an issue for your book. I formatted a book late last year that had an issue with partial HTML tags surfacing when read on some eInk Kindles (but not others, nor Kindle Previewer) when compiled with -c2.

If you don't want to bother testing your formatting for KF8, and doing any tweaks that might be involved, just use an older version of KindleGen. Shouldn't be much work if you've still got the source files on hand. It's no longer necessary to strip the source since Amazon is now doing that automatically when you upload to KDP.
mrlasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Now that it's 2014, I'm wondering if the c2 flag is still a problem as in my original post above. (I've been using only c1 ever since then.) I noticed the KindleGen Applescript wrapper doesn't even give c1 as an option, but only uses c0 or c2.

My current book with c1 says:
Info(prcgen):I15000: Approximate Standard Mobi Deliverable file size : 0001490KB
Info(prcgen):I15001: Approximate KF8 Deliverable file size : 0001500KB

And with c2 says:
Info(prcgen):I15000: Approximate Standard Mobi Deliverable file size : 0001075KB
Info(prcgen):I15001: Approximate KF8 Deliverable file size : 0001182KB

That's a very significant size difference, so I'd prefer to use c2.
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote