Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 AM   #121
HeartWorm
HeartWorm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Those 30 mb are there at the beggining.I can't do anything with them.

After copying fix-undev-tgz and dualboot-android-aurahd and ejecting the updating and restarting process it takes 3-5 seconds.No changes in the .kobo folder (no new folder, no new file).i had 3.1.1 fw.

The images i used was the angor's.

Maybe it's stupid ask but here it goes.Can someone post some pictures even make a video how to boot android on kobo devices?

Thanks.
HeartWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #122
CrazyReaderT9
CrazyReaderT9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Please anyone could upload the image from another place?
I can't download from google
Thanks
CrazyReaderT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #123
angor00
Enthusiast
angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'angor00 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyReaderT9 View Post
Thanks
2014-02-28_Android_Kobo_Aura_HD.7z
angor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #124
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyReaderT9 View Post
Thanks
There are mirrors at the first post. Get them here.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #125
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by angor00 View Post
Angor, one question.
Is this image for Dual or Single Boot?
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #126
CrazyReaderT9
CrazyReaderT9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yessss, thanks for the help.
It works and yes it's dual boot too.
I sadly see the screen refresh is not good as should be when i read books.
Btw great work, wifi and usb works nicely
CrazyReaderT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #127
takikura
Connoisseur
takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle sony reader boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
If you have time you can try this file...
Dear embryo

thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the mod did not solve the problem.
At the Android boot trial, the led turns from blue to green or red depending on the timing of releasing the power button. The led stayed ON after this before the mod but it turns OFF after few seconds after the mod.
Since I have now my Glo working very well with the dual boot, I will use my Touch for playing with Koreader.
Have a nice weekend.
Takikura
takikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #128
sabryna131
sabryna131 began at the beginning.

Device: nook stgl, nook hd+,pw1,pw2,kv,nookhd,aurahd,nook tab4
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartWorm View Post
Those 30 mb are there at the beggining.I can't do anything with them.

After copying fix-undev-tgz and dualboot-android-aurahd and ejecting the updating and restarting process it takes 3-5 seconds.No changes in the .kobo folder (no new folder, no new file).i had 3.1.1 fw.

The images i used was the angor's.

Maybe it's stupid ask but here it goes.Can someone post some pictures even make a video how to boot android on kobo devices?

Thanks.
When I copied the fix-undev-tgz and the dualboot file I had to put the unzipped files into the .kobo file and unzip them there and I had leave the unzipped zip file in there too (I tried it with just leaving the contents in and it wouldn't work at all). My updates after I put each file in the .kobo file, ejected and updated were fast too, probably because there wasn't any files that I had added to my kobo aura hd.
Using minitool's program those 30mbs disappear if I extend the partition all the way so I had to adjust the partition to keep them.
As for getting it to boot into android I had to try several times to get the timing right so it would boot. What worked for me was sliding the power switch til you see the white light come on and then quickly press the light button and release the power slider while still holding the light button-if it doesn't work the first time just power off after kobo loads and try again.
Hope this helps.
sabryna131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #129
_darch
_darch began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
Im trying to get Android to boot on my Glo following angor00's guide.
I used dd on my macbook to transfer the .img to a Kingston microSDHD 16 GB class 4 card. But when I try to boot I get a couples of black flashes on the screen and the LED first goes blue, then white and the it flashed green a couple of time and stays on, and then nothing else happens, just white screen. When I try to turn it off again the LED flashes green once and then I need to use a paperclip to reset it to book back into Nickel.
Do I need to get to a windows machine and use the Flash Drive Image Writer, or can anyone confirm that it is possible to install android onto the Kobo Glo using a Mac?
_darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #130
plivesey
plivesey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by _darch View Post
Im trying to get Android to boot on my Glo following angor00's guide.
I used dd on my macbook to transfer the .img to a Kingston microSDHD 16 GB class 4 card. But when I try to boot I get a couples of black flashes on the screen and the LED first goes blue, then white and the it flashed green a couple of time and stays on, and then nothing else happens, just white screen. When I try to turn it off again the LED flashes green once and then I need to use a paperclip to reset it to book back into Nickel.
Do I need to get to a windows machine and use the Flash Drive Image Writer, or can anyone confirm that it is possible to install android onto the Kobo Glo using a Mac?
dd on a Mac certainly works. The only issue I've had is that I've had to unmount partitions on the SD card (but not eject it) using Disk Utility before writing to the card. The command I use is:-

dd if=source.img of=/dev/disk6

where the actual output file can be found from Disk Utility by right clicking on the SD card and selecting Information.

Note: The destination should be the SD card and not some partition on it. For example of=/dev/disk6s1 is incorrect.
plivesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #131
_darch
_darch began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
I used number 4 in this guide, and the only different I see from your approch is the "bs=1m" parameter. Might this be my problem? Will try write the image to my SD-card without the bs=1m one of the next days and see if it helps
_darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #132
plivesey
plivesey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I used number 4 in this guide, and the only different I see from your approch is the "bs=1m" parameter. Might this be my problem? Will try write the image to my SD-card without the bs=1m one of the next days and see if it helps
No this is not the problem, the bs option specifies the block size for reading and writing. You're doing no conversion when writing the image so the default of 512 for ibs and obs (input and output block sizes) will be in effect and are perfectly acceptable.

The instructions you linked are fine but if a GUI is more to your liking all the tasks can be accomplished using Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities. Disk images can be written using the Restore pane and volumes can be unmounted by using the right click context menu.

The command line is my preferred method though.
plivesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #133
Ficko
Ficko began at the beginning.

If I start Kobo it puts all of the *.png,*.txts etc. from the sdcard into his library.
How can I make Kobo not to do that ?
Ficko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #134
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficko View Post
If I start Kobo it puts all of the *.png,*.txts etc. from the sdcard into his library.
How can I make Kobo not to do that ?
The only way is to put them in a directory with a name that starts with a PERIOD.

So make a directory called .hidden and put the PNG txt files etc there.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #135
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
I tried the following approach to get this finally working on an old MacBook Pro:

Locate the SD-card with

Code:
df -h
Your SD-card will show up something like

Code:
/dev/disk3 ...
Unmount the SD-card with

Code:
sudo diskutil unmount /dev/disk3
If disk3 has a partitioning scheme use

Code:
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3
instead.

In the terminal type

Code:
sudo dd bs=1m if=/Path/To/Image/NameOfYourImage.img of=/dev/rdisk3
where the "r" in rdisk is intended! Of course you have to use the correct name. Don't use disk3, if this is not your SD-card. Otherwise dataloss might be the consequence!

Wait (!) until the Image has been written.

Eject the SD-card with

Code:
diskutil eject /dev/disk3
This finally worked for me, maybe this will work for others too.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote