Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems like marketing to me. Sleazy, but what forms of marketing aren't?
Injuria non excusat injuriam.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
So this guy is one of the big success stories of self-publishing, right? What does that say about self-publishing?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I have read most of his books, and I liked them.
Do you really think he sold more than a million books just because of 300 fake reviews?
Yep. I do. His work is appalling. Look at the "non-fake" the hundreds of one star "this is terrible" reviews. He said himself that he wasn't selling much until those reviews came out - then his sales boomed.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
So this guy is one of the big success stories of self-publishing, right? What does that say about self-publishing?
That some self pubbed authors buy reviews just like some trad pubbed authors (& publishers) have been known to do.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
this guy sounds like a real scam, right down to the name.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
True. Because trade publishers would never expect to get reviews in return for buying advertising space in magazines and newspapers. And trade-published authors would never write a glowing blurb for a book without reading it.

Indie writers buying reviews sucks, but let's not pretend that trade publishing is a haven of virtue.
How dare you interject reality into the conversation.
You are disrupting the mantra.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Yep. I do. His work is appalling. Look at the "non-fake" the hundreds of one star "this is terrible" reviews. He said himself that he wasn't selling much until those reviews came out - then his sales boomed.
I read, I think, two of his books. I wasn't blown away but I didn't feel they were any more atrocious than much of what I see publishers putting out in MMP these days. The biggest difference was I paid 99cents (Actually I paid nothing using Kobo discount codes) while if Penguin etc had been in charge they would have wanted $7.99.

I can't say I'm thrilled with the pay for reviews thing but it is rampant in the industry these days. I really don't view him any better or worse.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #23
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That some self pubbed authors buy reviews just like some trad pubbed authors (& publishers) have been known to do.
This sounds interesting, but I don't want to see people unfairly attacked on the basis of weak evidence.

Do you have any reputable mainstream links, standing the test of time, that document this scandal?

The closest my own web search found is this from 2009:

Medical Publisher Offers Bribes for Writing Favorable Book Reviews
Quote:
The only review for the new book Clinical Psychology found on the Amazon.com site gave it only one star, not five, explaining the low rating as follows:

“Elsevier publishing’s marketing department offered financial compensation in exchange for 5 star reviews of this book. Please be wary of reviews posted for this book.”

According to Amazon.com, “27 of 27 people found [this] review helpful.”
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
True. Because trade publishers would never expect to get reviews in return for buying advertising space in magazines and newspapers. And trade-published authors would never write a glowing blurb for a book without reading it.

Indie writers buying reviews sucks, but let's not pretend that trade publishing is a haven of virtue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The big difference between trad pubbed authors and indie authors is that trad pubbed authors have gone through a gatekeeper. Specifically, a publisher has been confident enough that their books would sell that the publisher has invested thousands or ten thousands of dollars in that book.

Indie books don't have gatekeepers; the answer to the lack of gatekeepers is supposed to be reviews. But if reviews aren't a useful way of sorting indie books, then it is even harder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

That's why this matters for indies much more than it does for trad pubbed books.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The only reviews I trust are the ones I read here on Mobileread.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The only reviews I trust are the ones I read here on Mobileread.
How much did they pay you for this commercial?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
How much did they pay you for this commercial?
They promised not to ban me for another week.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

On a serious note though, my point is that you need to know something about a reviewer if you are going to put any trust into their review. Hence, I would take a review in NY Times, Wash Post, LA Times, Guardian, The Times or Frankfurter Allgemeine, even Le Figaro at face value, not so much on Amazon, B&N, Goodreads, The Sun, Daily Mail, NY Post or Rakuten.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #29
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
At least to me his books were entertaining. I don't really care how anyone gets out there....the only thing that matters to me is "does it entertain ME?"
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The big difference between trad pubbed authors and indie authors is that trad pubbed authors have gone through a gatekeeper. Specifically, a publisher has been confident enough that their books would sell that the publisher has invested thousands or ten thousands of dollars in that book.

Indie books don't have gatekeepers; the answer to the lack of gatekeepers is supposed to be reviews. But if reviews aren't a useful way of sorting indie books, then it is even harder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

That's why this matters for indies much more than it does for trad pubbed books.
It might matter more to the reader but the act itself is still the same, no matter who the the perpetrator is.

Easy for me to say as I don't pay much attention to reviews or ratings unless I really dislike a book and then I may look up the reviews. Backwards of me I know

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote