Notices

Old 03-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
GavinK151
Enthusiast
GavinK151 began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDFresize - any good for PDF comics?

Hey,

this may be old news but has anyone tried using PDFresize from neeviaPDF.com for making PDFs fit the cybook better? I just converted a comic and it looked ok at 800 x 600 on my laptop (I dont have the cybook yet so was just playing about).

Anyway, I might be overly optimistic just cos it looks readable on my laptop at that res :-)
GavinK151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinK151 View Post
Hey,

this may be old news but has anyone tried using PDFresize from neeviaPDF.com for making PDFs fit the cybook better? I just converted a comic and it looked ok at 800 x 600 on my laptop (I dont have the cybook yet so was just playing about).

Anyway, I might be overly optimistic just cos it looks readable on my laptop at that res :-)
I'll give it a try.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
GavinK151
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'll give it a try.

Derek
cool thanks, let us know if it produces anything useful for the Cybook. Maybe it will suck but would be nice to know... incidentally, the test I did (on a laptop) was to convert a CBR comic (zip file) to PDF using ComicRack (http://comicrack.cyolito.com/) then from there resize it with the aforementioned PDFresize.

Just for the record I assume the Cybook res of 800 * 600 is 800 vertical and 600 across?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
cool thanks, let us know if it produces anything useful for the Cybook. Maybe it will suck but would be nice to know... incidentally, the test I did (on a laptop) was to convert a CBR comic (zip file) to PDF using ComicRack (http://comicrack.cyolito.com/) then from there resize it with the aforementioned PDFresize.

Just for the record I assume the Cybook res of 800 * 600 is 800 vertical and 600 across?

Cybook has a *screen* rez of 800x600. But there are usually margins/whitespace. And I've yet to get *any* of my PDF files to work with PDFResize, not just the downloaded comics.

Derek
Old 03-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
GavinK151
Enthusiast

Quote:
Cybook has a *screen* rez of 800x600. But there are usually margins/whitespace. And I've yet to get *any* of my PDF files to work with PDFResize, not just the downloaded comics.

Derek
Was the issue that they did not even load into PDFresize or did they not convert to something useable on the Cybook? When I tooled about with it I converted a CBR (using Comic Rack) to PDF then shrank that to 800*600 - looked fine on laptop. Of course looking fine on the Cybook I cant say yet....
Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Was the issue that they did not even load into PDFresize or did they not convert to something useable on the Cybook? When I tooled about with it I converted a CBR (using Comic Rack) to PDF then shrank that to 800*600 - looked fine on laptop. Of course looking fine on the Cybook I cant say yet....

The issue for me was that even text pdf files wouldn't reformat. I keep getting errors.

Derek
Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Derek
No, there are no margins with PDF when the images are converted to 600x800 (btw, that's the resolution of the Cybook. Only when using it in Landscape Mode it's 800x600).

There are some dedicated tools available to convert comics to Cybook sized PDF's, look here for example:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...935#post135935
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote