Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
La Nuestra
La Nuestra began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question Paragraphs between Pages and Calibre

Hi, it's my first thread as i'm very new to this thing of ebooks. Recently discovered all the technologies, because as a designer I need to create ePubs for my customers.

Thankfully (or not, yet to discover) Im using Mac, and Apple, has recently released a patch for Pages to export ePub, wich for the moment forks fine, except for one thing. If I put the cover in pages, some other images in the book will dissapear. Something's wrong with the software to be arranged.

So I'm in need of adding the cover in Calibre for example, wich looks quite powerful for enhancing ePubs. But the problem is when I export an ePub from Pages, paragraphs are as I designed them, with one empty line between each one, BUT if i procces it in calibre to add the cover and other relevant meta-data (editor, tags, etc), then the new ePub i get has a nice cover but suddenly three or more lines of space between paragraphs, wich in iPad is not a problem (it will not pay attention to those new spaces, dunno why), but other readers, and Calibre itself will show those extra spaces. And it's not beautiful at all.

I'm fighting against time to give my customers the final ePub with a cover and normal paragraph space, hope anyone could help me. Any idea? I checked the button in clibre export options to remove space between paragraphs, but no result...

Thanks in advance.
La Nuestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer
benjaminsolah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-650
I've got the exact same issue.

Export to ePub with Pages works beautifully except for the cover image problem.

And the whole EPUB looks screwy if I then export it again through Calibre.

I like Calibre but the export to EPUB tool looks really confusing and a lot of options don't make sense. Is there a tutorial I could read to explain all the things and how they work?
benjaminsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
There's a manual at calibre-ebook.com:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/

Sounds like one of you should open a bug though: http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/query
Attach an example file and the exact options you're choosing when converting.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Nuestra View Post
Hi, it's my first thread as i'm very new to this thing of ebooks. Recently discovered all the technologies, because as a designer I need to create ePubs for my customers.

Thankfully (or not, yet to discover) Im using Mac, and Apple, has recently released a patch for Pages to export ePub, wich for the moment forks fine, except for one thing. If I put the cover in pages, some other images in the book will dissapear. Something's wrong with the software to be arranged.

So I'm in need of adding the cover in Calibre for example, wich looks quite powerful for enhancing ePubs. But the problem is when I export an ePub from Pages, paragraphs are as I designed them, with one empty line between each one, BUT if i procces it in calibre to add the cover and other relevant meta-data (editor, tags, etc), then the new ePub i get has a nice cover but suddenly three or more lines of space between paragraphs, wich in iPad is not a problem (it will not pay attention to those new spaces, dunno why), but other readers, and Calibre itself will show those extra spaces. And it's not beautiful at all.

I'm fighting against time to give my customers the final ePub with a cover and normal paragraph space, hope anyone could help me. Any idea? I checked the button in clibre export options to remove space between paragraphs, but no result...

Thanks in advance.
If you are starting with ePub and just want to add a Cover or other images, Look at Sigil (next MR group down). (Be sure to try on a Copy.) If you need to convert, the Calibre might be your tool. Learning a new tool under a Need it Now, Gun is no fun.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you need to not insert empty paragraphs between other paragraphs in Pages.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

No empty paragraphs at all? Sometimes you want bigger gaps between paragraphs.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

I tried that, and it still has the same problem. It isn't just the extra line breaks between paragraphs, there's line breaks in the middle of words so it ends of like

Quote:
writ

ing
There's no way to just add a cover image into the EPUB file made in Pages?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

You have two options - follow Kovid's advice, which requires you setting up your css in pages to put spacing between paragraphs using margin-top and margin-bottom styles that spaces things out like you want them.

The other option would be to go into the 'look and feel' options in Calibre and select the option 'remove paragraph spacing'. This will leave your blank paragraphs there, but change all the paragraphs so they have a top/bottom margin of zero. Note that setting may also modify your paragraph indents.

Last option would be to use Sigil to add a cover into the file manually.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

I just tried using Sigil and the new file adds massive spaces between paragraphs. I managed to add the cover, it shows up on Calibre but is just a blank page on my Reader.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
ldolse
Wizard

It sounds to me like Pages is doing something wrong if both Sigil and Calibre are increasing the spacing. Why don't you try not using blank lines in pages in the first place and adjust your spacing between paragraphs:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/c5pg39.html
Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

That's what I've done. Even the paragraphs with paragraph spacing and not blank lines show up with massive spaces. I probably wouldn't mind manually editing once I get a hold of Sigil.

But I'm mainly concerned about my cover. Perhaps another thread?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
Frank Lowney
frank.lowney
Frank Lowney began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've not experienced this issue in Pages yet. In the Sections toolbar item, be sure to select "Title Page." The need to use these styles wasn't well emphasized in Apple's help pages on this new feature:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4168

I used the sample document as a template so that these styles are always present in each new ePub document I compose. This has worked well for me.
Frank Lowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsolah View Post
That's what I've done. Even the paragraphs with paragraph spacing and not blank lines show up with massive spaces. I probably wouldn't mind manually editing once I get a hold of Sigil.

But I'm mainly concerned about my cover. Perhaps another thread?
Learn to read tag selectors in Sigil's Code View (CV),
Then open the stylesheet and locate the selector.

See if the margins, line space are strange.
Remember, each page is a Big box with boxes inside (may be many layers) and or stacks of boxes (paragraphs).

The styles are inherited from the outer box, if not specified.
Since you said big space,
look at margin-top and margin-bottom
then look at padding-top and padding-bottom
values in: pt (in. ) is fixed, em follows the font size.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer

Most of the styles have margin-bottom: 1.9505%; and the rest is 0.000%
Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminsolah View Post
Most of the styles have margin-bottom: 1.9505%; and the rest is 0.000%
That is huge
almost 2% of your screen height. Try 1em (that is a one)
I sometimes use % for title pages and chapter headers.