Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Early modern military history

I'm looking for some reading on military history in the early modern period, specifically 1500 to the end of the 17th century. I've found a couple of books on the Thirty Years War, but I was wondering whether anyone had any other suggestions? It's not a period I'm as familiar with as the medieval or modern periods, so I'm interested to learn more.

Last edited by Waylander; 05-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
How about All the King's Armies: A Military History of the English Civil War 1642-1651 by Stuart Reid?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6121485
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks!
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Thanks!
I should have added that I found it most illuminating.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Highly recommend the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. Although they are technically fiction, they are very accurate apart from the things Flashman gets up to.

Details here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flashman_Papers

I’ve read every one and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Highly recommend the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. Although they are technically fiction, they are very accurate apart from the things Flashman gets up to.

Details here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flashman_Papers

I’ve read every one and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
I love Flashman, but he's mid-19th century so a little late.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Considered a modern classic on early modern warfare, first published in 1988, now in 2nd ed, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in digital format:
Geoffrey Parker The Military Revolution: Military Innovation and the Rise of the West, 1500-1800
https://www.amazon.com/Military-Revo.../dp/0521479584

A bit older (published in 1937), but a classic that is available in Kindle format. I couldn't resist buying it myself just now:
A History of the Art of War in the Sixteenth Century by Sir Charles Oman US$3.21 at Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/History-Art-W.../dp/B07CB8SP75

The Amazon blurb:
"THE BEST ACCOUNT OF SIXTEENTH-CENTURY WARFARE BY THE AUTHOR OF A HISTORY OF THE PENINSULAR WAR

This is an unrivalled account of sixteenth-century warfare, in which Sir Charles Oman traces the dramatic, far-reaching changes in the military strategy, tactics and organization of the period.

Showing how warfare developed, he covers the Great Wars of 1949-1559; military events in Tudor England, including Henry VIII’s continental wars; the French Wars of Religion, 1562-98; the Dutch revolt and war of independence, 1568-1603; and the Turkish offensive against Christendom, from 1520 until the Peace of Sitva Torok in 1606.

The battles, sieges and campaigns that Oman examines in detail clarify military development across the century, such as Ravenna (1512), the first battle won by dominance in artillery; Pavia (1525), a ‘victory by surprise’; Pinkie (1547), where an old-fashioned infantry army proved helpless against the combination of all arms; and Arques (1589), exemplifying the defence of a defile by very inferior number.

Contemporary maps illustrate many of the actions, and add to the value of this brilliant and lucid history of the art of war.

Sir Charles Oman was one of Britain’s foremost historians and a gifted writer. His books, noted for being both scholarly and accessible, include the two-volume History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages, the seven-volume A History of the Peninsular War and others."

I have Allan Mallinson's The Making Of The British Army on my TBR. I've read his 1914: Fight the Good Fight: Britain, the Army and the Coming of the First World War, and thought it was quite good. He is the author of the Matthew Hervey series, a long serving officer in the British army who rose to command of his regiment (the 13th/18th Hussars), and retired as a Brig Gen, so his chops as a writer and a popular military historian are good.
Unfortunately, for your purposes, coverage starts at the English Civil War, and is limited to the British army.
$10.36 at Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Making-Britis.../dp/B0031RDW36
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I think I've mentioned it here before, but I loved Ernle Bradford's "The Great Siege", about the siege of Malta in 1565. It's a cracking story, especially for a siege.

P.S. It has 163 reviews at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...he_Great_Siege, which shows that I wasn't the only one greatly affected by the book.

Last edited by rkomar; 05-26-2018 at 09:38 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about All the King's Armies: A Military History of the English Civil War 1642-1651 by Stuart Reid?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6121485
It looks like an excellent study, issybird, and a nice price for the Kindle version. I'm sorely tempted to pick it up.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Considered a modern classic on early modern warfare, first published in 1988, now in 2nd ed, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in digital format:
Geoffrey Parker The Military Revolution: Military Innovation and the Rise of the West, 1500-1800
https://www.amazon.com/Military-Revo.../dp/0521479584

A bit older (published in 1937), but a classic that is available in Kindle format. I couldn't resist buying it myself just now:
A History of the Art of War in the Sixteenth Century by Sir Charles Oman US$3.21 at Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/History-Art-W.../dp/B07CB8SP75

The Amazon blurb:
"THE BEST ACCOUNT OF SIXTEENTH-CENTURY WARFARE BY THE AUTHOR OF A HISTORY OF THE PENINSULAR WAR

This is an unrivalled account of sixteenth-century warfare, in which Sir Charles Oman traces the dramatic, far-reaching changes in the military strategy, tactics and organization of the period.

Showing how warfare developed, he covers the Great Wars of 1949-1559; military events in Tudor England, including Henry VIII’s continental wars; the French Wars of Religion, 1562-98; the Dutch revolt and war of independence, 1568-1603; and the Turkish offensive against Christendom, from 1520 until the Peace of Sitva Torok in 1606.

The battles, sieges and campaigns that Oman examines in detail clarify military development across the century, such as Ravenna (1512), the first battle won by dominance in artillery; Pavia (1525), a ‘victory by surprise’; Pinkie (1547), where an old-fashioned infantry army proved helpless against the combination of all arms; and Arques (1589), exemplifying the defence of a defile by very inferior number.

Contemporary maps illustrate many of the actions, and add to the value of this brilliant and lucid history of the art of war.

Sir Charles Oman was one of Britain’s foremost historians and a gifted writer. His books, noted for being both scholarly and accessible, include the two-volume History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages, the seven-volume A History of the Peninsular War and others."

I have Allan Mallinson's The Making Of The British Army on my TBR. I've read his 1914: Fight the Good Fight: Britain, the Army and the Coming of the First World War, and thought it was quite good. He is the author of the Matthew Hervey series, a long serving officer in the British army who rose to command of his regiment (the 13th/18th Hussars), and retired as a Brig Gen, so his chops as a writer and a popular military historian are good.
Unfortunately, for your purposes, coverage starts at the English Civil War, and is limited to the British army.
$10.36 at Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Making-Britis.../dp/B0031RDW36

Oman is well worth reading and has a number of good books. I like his history of the Dark Ages as well. Matchlocks to Flintlocks: Warfare in Europe and beyond from 1500 to 1700 by William Urban might be what you are looking for.
The Siege of Vienna: The Last Great Trial Between Cross & Crescent by John Stoye is another good book for this time period. We tend to forget this occurred in 1529.

Warfare changed quite a bit during that time period, so there are few books that cover that complete period. What specifically are you interested in for that time period? Gustavus Adolphus and Wallenstein from the Thirty Years War were two of the great generals of the time period.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote