Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #26956
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Sounds like it can be fairly similar to true mince meat pie
The Montreal version, yes. I would say that version is probably the most popular outside of Quebec.

I had a friend from Northern Quebec who insisted it wasn't tourtiere unless it contained venison or bear, and some closer to New Brunswick and the coast insist that it must have dried salt fish.

Wars have been fought over this. I live outside of Quebec, so I happily eat the pork and beef version.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #26957
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
At one point in time I had my grandmother's recipe notebook, her version had venison as the main meat. There were margin notes that allowed for quite a variety of meats that most of us would run screaming from, squirrel being the least offensive.

I loathe mince meat pie. Even the modernized "canned" version of it. Every male I have ever been related to has loved every version of it.

Shudder. Ewwwwwww

Last edited by kindlekitten; 12-09-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: dropped a d
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #26958
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
If you're not a vegetarian, I think you'd very much like this pie, kindlekitten. It really is special if well made. There are an infinite number of variations, depending on your heritage. Most use breadcrumbs as a thickener, some use potato. Personally, I prefer the breadcrumb version, but both can be good. Our version uses ground pork, but other versions use lots of different meats. Some versions include mushrooms, most don't. I happen to like the addition of mushrooms, but don't think they're really required. What separates Tourtière from other meat pies is the seasoning which is on the "sweet spice" side, though the dish itself is not sweet at all.

A large glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, and now about to make a big pot of Holiday Breakfast Blend tea.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #26959
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I like a good shepherds pre which this sounds similar to (your version) but anything sweet with meat turns my stomach
Old 12-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #26960
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
First tea of the day, with a nice slab of cornbread.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #26961
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I like a good shepherds pre which this sounds similar to (your version) but anything sweet with meat turns my stomach
Not sweet. Savoury. And not really Shepard's Pie (or even Cottage Pie), since it has a full double crust, not a potato topping. Our original version is seasoned with cinnamon, sage, savory and allspice (plus the usual onion, garlic, celery, salt and pepper)

I've seen versions with cloves and even cardamom.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #26962
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Said the signifyin' monkey to the lion one day:
"Hey, there's a great big elephant down the way
Goin' 'round talkin' ,I am sorry to say,
About your momma in a scandalous way.
He's talkin' 'bout your momma and your grandma, too
And he don't show so much respect for you.
You want to chat? I sure am glad.
'Cause what he said about your momma, it made me mad".

Signifyin' Monkey, stay up in your tree.
You are always lyin' and signifyin'
But you better not monkey with me.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR9dcoP4AcM )

Good morning, everyone! I think I've been bitten by a Jazz bug! I've got all these jazz chords running around in my head, side by side with bossa nova rhythms too... What a fusion! Perhaps it's because I'm drinking 'Fusion Tea.' I spent a hour or two the other day filling tea bags. Eight different teas. All of my tea tins were empty and needed refilling, so I did them all at once. Of course, lots of spillage. Being frugal, I scooped the mixture into its own tea bags, and had three of them to use. Today is the first. I may throw away the other two... There is a wide gap between being 'frugal' and being 'masochistic.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
If you're not a vegetarian, I think you'd very much like this pie, kindlekitten.
When I read this I almost lost another keyboard.
I have this vision of KK set back in Caveman days, heading back to the cave dragging the evening meal sabretooth tiger by the tail. "Cook it?!? We don't need to cook it!!"

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #26963
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Oh frabjous day caloo! calay!

Tonight my Talisker tastes like Talisker! Rich peaty goodness!

[yes - it was a migraine last night]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #26964
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Oh frabjous day caloo! calay!

Tonight my Talisker tastes like Talisker! Rich peaty goodness!

[yes - it was a migraine last night]
I'm glad your Talisker is back to its peaty self. And sorry about the migraine, though it sounds like you have good control of them.

Leftover Tortiere, with a glass of Macallan.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #26965
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These pesky frontal boundaries moving in & out & over .... trigger my headaches! That's why I have so many single malts .... during my 'aura' phase my sense of taste goes haywire .... usually 1 out of the herd still tastes OK ... last night was the first time they all tasted weird!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #26966
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Fire? We don't need no stinkin' fire!

RAWR!!!

QUOTE=Stitchawl;2708378] Said the signifyin' monkey to the lion one day:
"Hey, there's a great big elephant down the way
Goin' 'round talkin' ,I am sorry to say,
About your momma in a scandalous way.
He's talkin' 'bout your momma and your grandma, too
And he don't show so much respect for you.
You want to chat? I sure am glad.
'Cause what he said about your momma, it made me mad".

Signifyin' Monkey, stay up in your tree.
You are always lyin' and signifyin'
But you better not monkey with me.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR9dcoP4AcM )

Good morning, everyone! I think I've been bitten by a Jazz bug! I've got all these jazz chords running around in my head, side by side with bossa nova rhythms too... What a fusion! Perhaps it's because I'm drinking 'Fusion Tea.' I spent a hour or two the other day filling tea bags. Eight different teas. All of my tea tins were empty and needed refilling, so I did them all at once. Of course, lots of spillage. Being frugal, I scooped the mixture into its own tea bags, and had three of them to use. Today is the first. I may throw away the other two... There is a wide gap between being 'frugal' and being 'masochistic.'

When I read this I almost lost another keyboard.
I have this vision of KK set back in Caveman days, heading back to the cave dragging the evening meal sabretooth tiger by the tail. "Cook it?!? We don't need to cook it!!"

Stitchawl[/QUOTE]
Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #26967
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Good morning. Already on my third mug of tea - it's going to be a tough day. Roads are a mess, freezing rain overnight. But I don't have to go anywhere today, so hunker down and work.

Muchie's Keemun XS.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #26968
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
On my third mug of tea. We got our our ice on Sunday.

We got a couple inches of snow last night, and it's not going to shovel itself. (Although I'm willing to give it a bit more time, just to be sure!)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #26969
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Why does three inches shut down an entire region? Ridiculous
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #26970
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Desperately hoping one of my single malts is drinkable tonight ... another weather front blew through today ... head not very good tonight ....

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?