Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
SandDanz
SandDanz began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise, Sony PRS-600 (red)
Question Transferring MP3s via Calibre

My PRS-600 is fairly new so I'm still learning, but have been trying to figure out how to get MP3s onto my reader. I have been using Calibre with no problem to transfer books, but was trying to transfer unprotected MP3s the other day and it wouldn't transfer. Is this possible to do? If so, how do I need to go about it? If no, do I need to use the regular Reader program to do the transferring. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but I tried doing some research first and didn't see anything that answered my question.
SandDanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
I'm pretty sure Calibre is only for transferring reading material. I've used the Sony eBook Library to do audio transfers, and I'm almost positive you can do a simple drag and drop to the appropriate directory on the 600. You may have to transfer one with eBL first to see what that directory is, then drag and drop from then on.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Inspector S
Inspector S began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
As far as I am aware Calibre won't recognise music files. If you don't want to use the Sony software you could always use an SD card reader and just copy/paste onto the memory card. When you put the card into the PRS is recognises them without any problems.
Inspector S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Just copy the songs to the music folder in the reader's main memory.
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
SandDanz

Okay... I was able to use the Reader program to get the MP3 to transfer, but it's not naming the file the same as I had it on my harddrive. Is there any way to edit it?
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Inspector S
Inspector S began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
In what way is the naming different?

What programme do you use to name the files on your computer?

I use iTunes for AAC files and CDex when I rip as MP3. Mine appear as I would expect on the PRS.
Inspector S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
SandDanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector S View Post
In what way is the naming different?

What programme do you use to name the files on your computer?

I use iTunes for AAC files and CDex when I rip as MP3. Mine appear as I would expect on the PRS.

This particular file is something I downloaded online. It is a story that an author did a reading of and was posted online somewhere a while back.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Music files may have a file "title", but they also have other properties. Right click on the file and choose "Properties". Then change the appropriate fields.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1263865705

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 02-13-2010 at 10:13 AM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
SandDanz

Awesome... Thanks HorridRedDog! That's EXACTLY what I needed!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandDanz View Post
Awesome... Thanks HorridRedDog! That's EXACTLY what I needed!!!

This forum needs some way we can give a salute for really good and pertinent help. HorridRedDog's post qualifies.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
And if you want a real easy way to edit those tags (proper name), check out www.mp3tag.de for some excellent freeware. You can do all kinds of batch operations to make editing speedier.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Two points on music - if your MP3 winds up on the device with no cover art use Windows Media Player to add the cover art to the tracks. There is an Add button under edit additional tags/Pictures.

The only use I have found for the Sony reader software is to manage songs. Any that you add to your Sony reader library will be synched to your device - in the proper place.

I must be sick - recommending Microsoft and Sony software in the same post...

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
I must be sick - recommending Microsoft and Sony software in the same post...Robert
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote