Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
another newbie

Hi, I've been lurking on mobileread for over a year and have been intending to post here before the year ends. Since that occurs in a week or less, here's my post.

I started with ebooks on my ipaq - mobipocket & ereader. Drifted primarily into ereader format, even caved & bought some DRM ereader books from fictionwise. Ended up converting all of my Baen and other non-drm rtf ebooks to ereader. A big thank you to the threads here on openoffice odt2pml, articles from robotech master at teleread on making ereader formatted books, fictionwise for not charging for dropbook... (I may eventually figure out how to convert html & pdf to odt - and not get gibberish - so that I can then convert to ereader) I found that I enjoy fine-tuning ebooks so that they are aesthetically pleasing.

I even figured out how to scan text & use a basic ocr program and convert that result to ereader.

I received a sony prs 505 for christmas/birthday and discovered the joy of using calibre to convert non-drm mobi & rtf files to lrf. Will be trying pdf & html next. I especially like being able to update ebook metadate as it is annoying to not see correct title, author etc when looking for an ebook on the sony.

I haven't tried using epub or drm pdf on the reader yet. I'm trying not to buy any more drm books as I don't want to get stuck with more books that I can't take from device to device. Fortunately most of my Fictionwise books are multiformat so I was able to redownload in lrf format. I have hopes that when fictionwise gets their new versions out in 2009, that "maybe" I'll be able to port ereader over to the sony somehow and open my drm books there.

Plus, the ebooks don't apparently "count" in the publishing houses statistics when NY Times best selling author numbers are tallied. Hopefully that will change as well since ebooks are the fastest growing segment of the publishing industry from articles that I've read.

Longwinded intro at the end of my long workday today. will go back to lurker mode now.

thanks for all the great info.

Beth
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
If there is any way we can further enhance your e-reading pleasure, please do not hesitate to ask
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome, Beth!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Beth and welcome to the Forum. I started with an iPaq eight or nine years ago liked it but am truly addicted to the Sony with it's eInk diaplay.

Am also addicted to this damn forum! When I was using my iPaq I didn't know another soul who was into eBooks now I have this great community.

Enjoy!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote