Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Goodreads is available in App Store once again

It seems Amazon has taken in consideration their waterdown version of their Goodreads integration and once again made the original Goodreads app available in the Amazon App Store to 2013 Kindle Fire owners. The Goodreads app for Kindle no longer overrides it and is now simply called Goodreads for Kindle.

Unlike the Google Play version I had sideloaded this one looks right on the Kindle Fire and has all the functions enables like notifications and status updates.

Thank you Amazon for giving me back my app! I really missed it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I didn't know it was ever gone. I bought my HD2 a couple of weeks ago, after the GR update became available so the first thing I did after updating, when I noticed how insufficient the 'GR for Kindle' app was to download the regular GR app. That was probably over a week ago. Of course the regular app ain't that great either, but at least there's more you can do with it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I didn't know it was ever gone. I bought my HD2 a couple of weeks ago, after the GR update became available so the first thing I did after updating, when I noticed how insufficient the 'GR for Kindle' app was to download the regular GR app. That was probably over a week ago. Of course the regular app ain't that great either, but at least there's more you can do with it.
Yeah when the Kindle Fires first came out in October they blocked the Goodreads app. It was blocked when I got my HD2 too. I just notice today after I did a factory reset which was really needed that it was available again. I'm not saying my email to them had anything to do with it but I like to think it helped!

My HD2 was crawling today so I did a reset and now it works better then it did than when I got it. It came registered so I suspected sooner or later I would have to do one. Everything is now working as it should.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question

Blossom:

when did this happen, I just tried to use my GR app on my Fire 2012 and I noticed it was updated to the limited Amazon version. I used my backup apk to revert it back to the previous version, is it safe or will I find Amazon has updated it again when I am not paying attention?

EDIT: Hopefully since they returned it, they have seen the error of releasing an app with less features than the generic version had.

Last edited by nynaevelan; 12-28-2013 at 11:42 PM.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Blossom:

when did this happen, I just tried to use my GR app on my Fire 2012 and I noticed it was updated to the limited Amazon version. I used my backup apk to revert it back to the previous version, is it safe or will I find Amazon has updated it again when I am not paying attention?

EDIT: Hopefully since they returned it, they have seen the error of releasing an app with less features than the generic version had.
Open the app store and search for Goodreads from your Fire you should find the full version. I hope they didn't revert it. I haven't used my KF since Christmas Eve.
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Open the app store and search for Goodreads from your Fire you should find the full version. I hope they didn't revert it. I haven't used my KF since Christmas Eve.
I am not sure when they did it, it has been a good while, at least 2 to 4 weeks since I've used the app on my Fire, so I am not sure when they did it. But it was dated 12/16 so I am assuming then. I just wish there was a way for me to turn off auto updating on the Fire, to prevent it from updating again without me knowing. I did just look in the store on the website and it is the same one I had prior to this update, so hopefully I am good for a while. Thank goodness I have the auto backup app, so I had a copy of the apk.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
How many pages does the Goodreads app for the HD 2013 have? My Goodreads implementation for the HDX 2013 has 12 pages while my Goodreads implementation for the PW 2013 has only one page. They are totally different.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

What do you mean pages?? How many shelves do you have? On the pre-update version I have all my custom shelves along with the three standard ones. On the post-update one I only have the three standard shelves.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
3 shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
What do you mean pages?? How many shelves do you have? On the pre-update version I have all my custom shelves along with the three standard ones. On the post-update one I only have the three standard shelves.
I only use 3 shelves: Reading, To Read and Read. The HDX 2013 has 12 separate screens in a Menu as follows:

1. Updates
2. My Profile
3. All Shelved Books
4. Read
5. Currently Reading
6. Want to Read
7. Add Your Amazon Books
8. Friends
9. Following
10. Followers
11. Edit Profile
12. Go to Kindle Library

My PW 2013 has one page with tabs for Updates, My Shelves, Friends and Add Amazon Books. It appears less developed than the Goodreads implementation for the HDX 2013.

I am not sure how both those implementations would handle a new Shelf if I did add one at the web site.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

The GoodReads iOS app has the following 12 pages (or categories):
  • Updates
  • My Books
  • My eBooks
  • Scan
  • My Progress
  • Explore
  • Recommendations
  • My Groups
  • Friends
  • My Profile
  • Events
  • Settings

It is a very good app, but the implementation of GoodReads in the PW2 is pathetic.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Both of those have more options than the version which is available in the app store. I hope they release Simaru's version in both android and for the pw2.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
I have to report another problem. I have the 7" HDX with the last firmware. I have Goodreads for Kindle already here. I install as well Goodreads from Amazon Store. In settings, I see that the standard version is 3.7 MB, while the Kindle version is 7.4 MB. The regular Goodread app updates the contents very well after a change in the information of a book, while the Kindle app does not sync consistently. I tried cleaning data and removing the Goodread account and rebooting,to no avail.I concluded that the Kindle version of the app is defective.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
Codetoad13
Codetoad13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Does anyone know how to make other shelves show up in the Goodreads App. I have a couple additional exclusive shelves created, but in the "Add your kindle books" they are not shown.

Randy
Codetoad13 is offline   Reply With Quote