Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #316
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Regards the delay entering sleep mode:

With the "Show current book cover" box unticked in the "Light, sleep, and power" settings my Glo goes to sleep as fast as it did with earlier firmware, it is only when the sleep screen is set to display the current book cover that there is a delay.
Me too. Thanks, GeoffR.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #317
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Regards the delay entering sleep mode:

With the "Show current book cover" box unticked in the "Light, sleep, and power" settings my Glo goes to sleep as fast as it did with earlier firmware, it is only when the sleep screen is set to display the current book cover that there is a delay.
I tried it on my Aura HD. Same thing happened.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #318
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am curious if using the TOC will make it stop for others in the current book. Since doing this I have not been able to make it reoccur in the book I am reading.

Helen
Just tried accessing the TOC when the font-size was wrong, but no go. Also tried accessing the dictionary by long-pressing on a word. Nothing. The only thing that resets the font to the correct size (so far) is fiddling with something in the Aa menu. It doesn't even have to be the font-size slider. My line-spacing slider is already as far to the left as it will go, so all I have to do is press on the minus sign on the left of the line-spacing slider, and voila! The font resets to the correct size without changing anything else. Pressing the line-spacing slider will also reset the page numbers to stop showing, so the two problems (font-size changing and page numbers reappearing) seem related.

Edit: One other thing works to fix the font-size changing problem. If you open the top menu's Reading Settings and check Show Page Numbers, the font resets to the correct size.

Last edited by icallaci; 11-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #319
guitarchitect
guitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud ofguitarchitect has much to be proud of

Device: kobo aura hd... maybe
Just upgraded to the newest firmware last night - it's awesome! Already loving the pocket integration - so great.

However, reading stats!! Seriously?? One of the biggest selling points, for me, was the reading stats! I love the time estimate, it really helps me keep reading - I noticed that it's still there for books I've purchased through the Kobo store, but none of my sideloaded books (Project Gutenberg FTW!) have it. However - if you go to "Extras" from the home screen and hit "Reading Stats" it'll tell you your current book - even if it's sideloaded - and where you are, how long the next chapter will take to read, etc etc.

So - it's definitely calculating the stats. Anyone know if there's an unofficial plan for a "hybrid" firmware, which would keep the Pocket integration but also bring back stats for sideloaded books? Or are they afraid if they do that no one will ever upgrade their firmware again?
guitarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #320
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Yesterday I was reading on the Mini (2.6.x firmware) and it was clearly slower than the Aura HD to display the sleep screen/book cover. I'm reading the same book on both, which is around 4,000 pages long*.
One thing to note is that the processor is slower on the Mini, so that may be the reason. But I still find the sleep process somehow snappier on the Aura HD with the 2.10 firmware.

I don't know if that may help to understand the issue.

* for instance, because of its length, the stats can't be displayed when this book has just been opened. They'll show after a page turn. This behaviour can be seen on the Aura HD as well as on the Mini.

Last edited by samhy; 11-15-2013 at 08:55 AM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #321
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Just want to add that firmware 3.0 solved the "10 second to sleep" bug. And also allowed full screen cover to not be covered by a banner.

Which was my two main problems :-)
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #322
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Yesterday I was reading on the Mini (2.6.x firmware) and it was clearly slower than the Aura HD to display the sleep screen/book cover. I'm reading the same book on both, which is around 4,000 pages long*.
One thing to note is that the processor is slower on the Mini, so that may be the reason. But I still find the sleep process somehow snappier on the Aura HD with the 2.10 firmware.

I don't know if that may help to understand the issue.

* for instance, because of its length, the stats can't be displayed when this book has just been opened. They'll show after a page turn. This behaviour can be seen on the Aura HD as well as on the Mini.
4,000 pages, that is an undertaking. Imagine carting that around from room to room if it was paper not to mention the cracks you could get in the spine.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #323
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
4,000 pages, that is an undertaking. Imagine carting that around from room to room if it was paper not to mention the cracks you could get in the spine.

Helen
4,000 pages, give or take. I've bought the Game of Thrones 4-book bundle and each time I'm reading it I mentally pat my ereader on the back for saving me from the hurdles of a paper version
Even just one of the books would be quite cumbersome.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #324
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
... not to mention the cracks you could get in the spine.
Who's spine? Yours or the books?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #325
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post

Quote:
... not to mention the cracks you could get in the spine.
Ummm... both?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #326
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ummm... both?

Regards,
David
I meant the book, but I see your points

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #327
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Just want to add that firmware 3.0 solved the "10 second to sleep" bug. And also allowed full screen cover to not be covered by a banner.

Which was my two main problems :-)
2.10 was just released and you're already on 3.0? Is it some beta version and where can I get it? I'd love the clear cover screen as well.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #328
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, 3.0.0 has been released. It will be sent to your ereader in the usual timing of these things. Or you can download it using the link in the firmware link thread and then manually install it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:02 AM   #329
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
2.10 was just released and you're already on 3.0? Is it some beta version and where can I get it? I'd love the clear cover screen as well.
One caution with 3.0.0 is that it had an old Touch (N905/N905B aka kobo3) and a new Touch (N905C), Glo and Aura HD (kobo4) version. So far the one person who reported testing it on a Mini stated that it did not work well and he reverted to an older version. There is no Aura (kobo5) version.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #330
samhy
Wizard

Yesterday I wanted to archive some books on my Aura HD but couldn't find the option anymore. Is "remove from ereader" the same thing? It looked more definitive than "archive" so I wasn't sure what to do.

Sorry if that was already said in the thread but I couldn't find something like that with a quick search.