Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you upgrade just for the front light?
No, I want improvement to the screen 57 47.11%
Yes, a front light will do it for me. 36 29.75%
Yes, but only with other h/w improvements (e.g. less weight, better touch) 28 23.14%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Will you upgrade if new kindle only adds front light?

Will you upgrade if the next kindle only adds a front light and the screen remains the same? No improved contrast or resolution. No unbreakable screen.

(I personally will not. I still use a k3)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I really like the idea of the front light. But, I think there'd be the need for another option there for those of us who are in the "maybe" boat due to price. I guess that would be a subset of the 3rd option, though. I'll go with that, then.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I didn't vote because there was no choice for "no I'm not interested period." What do you bet they make any new models just different enough to require new covers? I've got a generic cover so it would probably work with any new model as long as they don't drastically change the size. But I think I'll sit out this generation of Kindles unless there is truly some spectacular new feature/functionality. A lit screen doesn't interest me in the least as I use my iPad 3 to read Kindle books when in darkened areas. I only use the eInk when in well lit areas.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't need a front-lit screen. I don't think I want a new Kindle until they make improvements to their archive handling, in addition to improved contrasst, bigger capacity, page turn buttons. I'll just keep using the two keyboard models that I have, and My Sony T1, which I like best.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Only if the K3 gets the backlit screen.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The screen needs to get better before I'll upgrade. Especially if Amazon, like B&N, wants $40 more for a front-lighted device.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No, I'm fine with my K3. If the new Kindles have an improved screen, like higher pixel density, then I would consider an upgrade. But the quality of the screen is foremost for me.

ETA: and only if I can get one with page turn buttons on the side.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
... I don't think I want a new Kindle until they make improvements to their archive handling...
Curious: what do you find deficient with archive handling? Kindle Touch does have some improvements there (ability to set filter by content type, better search). I'd like to see 'sort by most recent' (like the apps tend to have), but otherwise it seems okay to me.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Let me preface all my comments below by saying that I'm strictly referring to eInk ereaders or some other form of non-back lit display. I do not read on back lit displays.

I didn't vote, because current screen technology is more than satisfactory for me.
  • if they only add front lit technology, I won't upgrade - I have a lamp
  • if they only improve resolution, I won't upgrade - current Pearl tech meets my needs
  • if they only add both of the above, I still won't upgrade

Improvements that would get me to upgrade:
  • non-breakable substrate
  • adding an audio player to the Kindle 4
  • reducing the size to that of a Galaxy Player 5
  • ability to browse, borrow, and download library books directly from the Kindle
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I didn't vote because there was no choice for "no I'm not interested period." What do you bet they make any new models just different enough to require new covers? I've got a generic cover so it would probably work with any new model as long as they don't drastically change the size. But I think I'll sit out this generation of Kindles unless there is truly some spectacular new feature/functionality. A lit screen doesn't interest me in the least as I use my iPad 3 to read Kindle books when in darkened areas. I only use the eInk when in well lit areas.
Would you upgrade if they fixed the KF8 line-height bug and added the front light?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
Only if the K3 gets the backlit screen.
That will never ever happen. eink cannot have a backlit screen. The light would not shine through.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

As was said by jswinden, this poll needs a no, not going to upgrade option. Without it, the results are skewed and the numbers meaningless.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
If it has a front-lit screen, some memory improvements, and page turn buttons... maybe.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
These polls are all meaningless. Sometimes interesting, but still meaningless.

And the KF line-height bug is a problem with a *single* device. My Fire works just fine.

And, unless there is a *huge* improvement, I'll not upgrade. I have 3 Kindles and a DX backup that work just fine for me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Curious: what do you find deficient with archive handling? Kindle Touch does have some improvements there (ability to set filter by content type, better search). I'd like to see 'sort by most recent' (like the apps tend to have), but otherwise it seems okay to me.
Folders would be a great improvement. Why aren't they available now?

I would organize books within folders and sub-folders alphabetically by author/title or author/series/title. Titles in series would be organized chronologically by publication date:
  • V -- Z ---> Verne ---> I -- L ---> Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • A -- D ---> Burroughs ---> A -- D ---> Caspak Series ---> 1- Land That Time Forgot; 2- People That Time Forgot; 3- Out of Time's Abyss

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-24-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote