Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ePub to LRF font-lock issue

I've been searching through MR for hints on this, but haven't found anything yet. One of my customers (Kovid, you know him) purchased an ePub version of my latest book, used Calibre to convert it to LRF, and now reports they can't resize the font in the book.

My ePub files were created in Sigil and verified as compliant using epubcheck. Obviously, I didn't expect font-lock problems with the file, and I want people to be able to resize as necessary. But I don't see where the problem is here... in the ePub file, the way Calibre is handling it, or the Sony 505. Any ideas?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I could send you Calibre 0.5.14 which actually does a better job converting to LRF (sometimes) then 0.6.x does. You could try 0.5.14 and see how that works for ePub to LRF based on the Sigil created ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I could send you Calibre 0.5.14 which actually does a better job converting to LRF (sometimes) then 0.6.x does. You could try 0.5.14 and see how that works for ePub to LRF based on the Sigil created ePub.
Good advice... the only problem is, I actually don't have a PRS-505 to test it on. But if the interested parties see this thread, hopefully they can contact you (or Kovid) to get the app.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, LRF font rescaling doesn't work if the font sizes are specified in inline styles and not just block level styles.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Must admit to being Steve's customer with a hitch. Because I couldn't read his new book because of the mini-type, I reverted this evening to another I've been happily reading this week up to about the half-way mark (again via Calibre) only to find that, after about ten pages, my usual large font size suddenly dropped to miniscule. I'll have a go at everything I can think of tomorrow and report back. I just hope -- for the sake of pals here -- that this is all my mistake. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC, LRF font rescaling doesn't work if the font sizes are specified in inline styles and not just block level styles.
Checked stylesheet.css: The body style only provides margin specifications. Text on individual pages is enclosed in standard P tags, with no font sizes specified.

Is there a setting in Calibre that is inserting font sizes, something that can be reset to omit that? Or is Calibre looking for a font declaration of some sort in the ePub files?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Must admit to being Steve's customer with a hitch. Because I couldn't read his new book because of the mini-type, I reverted this evening to another I've been happily reading this week up to about the half-way mark (again via Calibre) only to find that, after about ten pages, my usual large font size suddenly dropped to miniscule. I'll have a go at everything I can think of tomorrow and report back. I just hope -- for the sake of pals here -- that this is all my mistake. Cheers. Neil
S'okay. I want my e-books to display properly for my customers. Anything that can be done to improve that experience is okay by me.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In that case I have to see the book to be able to tell you more.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Checked stylesheet.css: The body style only provides margin specifications. Text on individual pages is enclosed in standard P tags, with no font sizes specified.

Is there a setting in Calibre that is inserting font sizes, something that can be reset to omit that? Or is Calibre looking for a font declaration of some sort in the ePub files?
If you are using the commane line, I suggest using the --base-font-size option.

ebook-convert eBook.epub .lrf --margin-top=0 --margin-bottom=0 --margin-left=0 --margin-right=0 --base-font-size=10
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are using the commane line, I suggest using the --base-font-size option.

ebook-convert eBook.epub .lrf --margin-top=0 --margin-bottom=0 --margin-left=0 --margin-right=0 --base-font-size=10
Wouldn't inserting a specific font size tend to lock the size on the reader? (You would think having no font specified there, the way it is now, would allow resizing.)