Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
fromagewiz
fromagewiz began at the beginning.

Device: cybook opus
Question create readable russian ebooks in cybook opus?

Greetings, all--

I'm very new to the ebook world, having just bought a cybook opus (which I don't see a separate forum for yet, pardon me if posting here is bad form). I have a Russian friend who likes the opus from what she's seen of mine so far, but we are trying to work out how to create anything (even just a .txt file) in Russian text that is readable on the opus.

I don't know enough about the system bookeen uses to correctly configure russian text. I'm reasonably aware of different fonts and encodings for using Russian on win32 machines, but am having no luck at all on the opus. Anyone have any knowledge or direction they can impart about this? I suspect that there would be some overlap between the inner workings of the gen3 and the opus, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
fromagewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Last page of this thread (around post #361): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=50261&page=25
might be relevant to your problem. Especially the converter link.

In short, Opus should be able to display HTML books, if all Cyrillic letters in them are converter to HTML entities.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
... or if you create a UTF-8 ePUB (try the new Sigil editor).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do we know if the built-in Unicode fonts in the Opus contain Cyrillic characters?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good question.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If someone would like to post a Cyrillic Unicode text file, or a Cyrillic-encoded HTML file, I'll be happy to load it on my Opus and see if it displays correctly.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
fromagewiz

They do. I just tried the converter page, and used a regular font. Everything displayed perfectly.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
fromagewiz

And I would subsequently have posted the test file itself, but for some reason the "upload manager" does not seem to like any of the uploads I'm feeding it. And of course, I don't actually know a way of turning off HTML parsing for a portion of a page, so the cyrillic codes are all going to be displayed as the characters themselves if I post the raw text here... sheesh.

Anyway, the web-based converter worked, with some tweakings. thanks!

Last edited by fromagewiz; 08-12-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Here is a sample with Cyrillic characters.

Russkij.htm is utf8-encoded, Russkij-b.htm uses numerical HTML entities.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Russkij.zip (901 Bytes, 7062 views)
Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Here is a sample with Cyrillic characters.

Russkij.htm is utf8-encoded, Russkij-b.htm uses numerical HTML entities.
The "Russkij.htm" file does not display correctly on the Opus - it just shows as random ASCII junk. I suspect that it could be made to display correctly by manually selecting a suitably-encoded font.

The "Russkij-b.htm" file does display correctly, with the exception of the dash between the dates, which shows as a square box.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-13-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "Russkij.htm" file does not display correctly on the Opus - it just shows as random ASCII junk. I suspect that it could be made to display correctly by manually selecting a suitably-encoded font.

The "Russkij-b.htm" file does display correctly, with the exception of the dash between the dates, which shows as a square box.
I don't think the font encoding should be any different between both files, it's just the HTML encoding which is different. It seems the Opus does not correctly recognize encodings in HTML (which I think was already known for the Cybook).

As for the dash between the dates, it's supposed to be a non-breaking hyphen, which apparently is not supported by too many fonts
Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Could you try with La divina commedia? The Russian part is UTF-8 encoded, but it's inside an ePUB, which should work fine. However, I tried with ADE in wine and it showed just question marks for the Cyrillic characters, meaning that the encoding is recognized, but the font (which cannot be changed) does not have those characters.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Unfortunately the Russian part just displays screensful of question marks.

If you were to include a font with the appropriate characters in inside the ePub package, though, that should then work fine.

At least this shows that the Opus does work with >300k flows, which is nice!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #14
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Cybook Gen 3 appears not to be able to recognize text files (TXT or HTML) in any form of Unicode - it seems to assume input file is always in one-byte character encoding (ASCII or extended ASCII). I tried to read UTF-8 txt files, and UTF-8 html files, and it always displayed junk. So the module for converting input file into set of characters and positions to display the in seems to work on plain ASCII.

However, the module for font display seems to work with Unicode, when Unicode characters are delivered directly for it to display (for example, if using HTML entities, or with Mobi books).

Since the firmware for both Gen3 and Opus is apparently the same firmware, I expect such will be the behaviour of the Opus.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately the Russian part just displays screensful of question marks.
I'm really hating ADE...

Quote:
If you were to include a font with the appropriate characters in inside the ePub package, though, that should then work fine.
Yes, but then users using decent readers that let you choose the default font would not be able to change it. At the moment I refuse to code workarounds for ADE that mean a quality degradation in other readers.

Tags
cybook, encoding, font, opus, russian